Things your inner child currently likes

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

Closeyclo

Re: Things your inner child currently likes

Post by Closeyclo »

Oh where to start, my inner child has many likes!
Drawing, painting, colouring in.
Making blanket and pillow nests and hiding in them.
Hot chocolate.
Coco pops.
Cuddling up to my big sister.
Disney movies.
The Peanuts Movie.
Ponyo and My Neighbour Totoro.
Birthday cake ice cream.
A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.
Booklover

Post by Booklover »

Ok I now have a silly question. How do you connect to or know what your inner child wants?

I was once told the inner child is the one you hid during the abuse and never let out so she couldn’t be hurt and that I should nurture her but I have no idea how to connect to her so haven’t ever done anything
Booklover

I will become a survivor not a victim

Gentle (((((hugs))))) 🤗if ok
Closeyclo

Post by Closeyclo »

Booklover wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:08 pm Ok I now have a silly question. How do you connect to or know what your inner child wants?

I was once told the inner child is the one you hid during the abuse and never let out so she couldn’t be hurt and that I should nurture her but I have no idea how to connect to her so haven’t ever done anything
Hi booklover.
Not a silly question, but a potentially silly answer so I apologise if this isn't the most helpful thing in the world:
For me, my inner child is a lot more dominant when I'm safe, I have a friend who is a little older than me and very safe and little me surfaces a lot with her. But for a while I was very dismissive of little me, id try to push her aside and not acknowledge her because often she's scared, and I was so good at building walls that she broke down. Now I accept her more, and doing things that I enjoyed as a child (drawing, painting, splashing in puddles, anything childish) really brings her out a little more.
Maybe try drawing if you're artistic at all? Or try writing from a child perspective and see if it brings anything up?
I'm sorry if this wasn't much help!
Have a lovely day!
A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.
Booklover

Post by Booklover »

Thanks that makes sense and I love drawing but always think of it as very childish type drawing but sometimes it’s the only way I can express my feelings
Booklover

I will become a survivor not a victim

Gentle (((((hugs))))) 🤗if ok
Broken

Post by Broken »

This is very interesting to me. As I'm new at this "game"(much of how I look at life is a game bc I am often a pretty competitive individual) I have never considered that I may have been robbed of some childhood "regularities".

Looking back not into childhood but young adulthood I find some very "childish" things I have never let go of. Coloring, for example, I love to color. I remember roommates in college laughing but joining in when I would purchase a few coloring books and a huge box of crayons. Just the smell of either sends me to another world.

The other biggie is(or was) my teddy bear. Had is since I was eight, somewhere in the middle of my abuse years. I did not leave home on an overnight without that bear. Even in college, he came with me, road trips, whatever l never slept without him. Until my son was born. Yup, my husband even had to endure the bear in the bed. When my son was born I let him "borrow" my B Bear. I expect I will get him back sometime, IF my son no longer "needs" him.
there

Post by there »

my inner child loves my dog, so does my adult self.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
johnram

Post by johnram »

I was always confused by this inner child work, but in my current therapy i talk and engage with me at ages 1-12, so there are 12 inner childs who engage and support me

its peculiar but powerful, but i do love it

at the moment i am not sure what they like as its all new, but i look forward to finding out
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

My inner child loves to wiggle her toes in sand and mud. To feel the earth beneath her feet
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
there

Post by there »

shooting hoops
shooting a squirt gun
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
Sherlocked

Post by Sherlocked »

Disney, anything Disney related.
Last edited by Jonesy on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content
"There should be no boundaries to human endeavor. However bad life may seem, while there is life, there is hope." - Stephen Hawking