Self-soothing & comforting suggestions

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

Elizabeth

Re: Self-soothing & comforting suggestions

Post by Elizabeth »

Thank you there. If anyone needs safe hugs. We've lots to share.
I love butterflies, they give me hope.
canibeesther

Post by canibeesther »

Hello!
This is such a beautiful thread. I didn't really understand how to soothe parts of myself. My t helped me today in giving me a hotpack to soothe my stomach when I have painful body memories. It was unbelievable how it helped.
I love the ideas of this thread and I am going to try some out.

With gratitude
Can I be Esther
there

Post by there »

This morning anxiety crept in.
I listened to more of a talk on nonviolent communication I’ve been watching.
I did breathing exercises a little. These ones concentrate on expanding and lengthening your rib cage.
I tell myself that anxiety is not my responsibility. Part of me believes I’m responsible for it coming back.
No. I can be responsive to it, but I’m not responsible for the anxiety. I can be responsible for coping with or relaxing for it. Anxiety is not my job.
Then I listened to a meditation for anxiety by Belleruth Naparstek. I fell back asleep soon into it.
At the moment, no anxiety. I’m thankful.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
there

Post by there »

I'm doing 1 of the self compassion exercises that Dr. Kristin Neff has on her website.
You place your on your heart, (or other spots), to comfort yourself. As you do this, you talk to yourself kindly, and recognize that "this is a moment of suffering. "
It seems like a way to be here for myself that I can keep doing .
The warmth from the hand to the heart raises oxytocin levels in the body. That has to be a good thing, right?
ZenGrowing

Post by ZenGrowing »

Sometimes i need to do something that will break me completely free of my thoughts and bodily sensations. I need to lose myself for a while so that i can come back fresh or even just catch my breath before returning to the pain. Then i play my guitar. I'm still a beginner so it takes all of my concentration and focus. i feel the humming of the guitar body against my chest and the strings under my fingers and hear the sounds, and i get lost. Its like focused meditation but I'm doing something so there's no room to drift back into dangerous mental territory for a while or to spaz out physically with the desire to self harm. Plus the dog likes it and it helps when she comes to sit with me while i play.
there

Post by there »

ZenGrowing,
I feel soothed reading your post. :)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I'm still a newbie, and really enjoying dipping into this thread. I did a mindfulness course earlier this year, and attend regular on line meditation groups twice a week, plus do my own practices (which aren't brilliant, but are good enough!)
I like the reminders people post - Kristen Neff on self-compassion. Thanks There for the reminder.
I like Radio 3 classical music (nothing too chaotic - that seems to trigger me) or arts programmes on Radio 3 or 4 - listening to people passionate about making something beautiful.
Sometimes I let myself cry knowing I can love myself through it (my partner says there's nothing wrong with crying - you just get dehydrated so remember to drink more water)
Recently I bought some nice organic hand and nail cream. I'm teaching myself to notice and care for my hands. My partner taught me how to care for my nails, and I do that now too.
And I like climbing trees! Can't beat that for a bit of wildness and freedom :lol:
there

Post by there »

Oh, hi, Smokey,
Apologies. I'm just reading your post now! Sounds like you have some effective self-soothing choices you're using.
I love that you climb trees. I did a lot of that as a chold. Wh Who knows? maybe I will again when the weather gets warmer here. :)

Yes, Dr. Kristin Neff is very good!

Lately, I've been using a breathing technique by Thich Nhat Hanh. "Breathing in, I feel peace. Breathing out, I smile."
It feels centering , calming, even empowering as it's something I can do all by myself. Well, breathing you kinda have to, ha.

Exercise soothes me, during and after.
Selene

Post by Selene »

Hi I'm Selene. I'm new here and this self soothe catagory is main reason I'm here. Past several Months I have been triggered over /about the violence my mother inflicted on me growing up. My stomach is always in constant knot and pain that it's difficult to function. I recently started massaging my Vegas Nerves in my ears. It distracts me from pain and flashbacks for a few seconds to minutes and I like to believe it will really help! You're not alone on this train.
Last edited by Serenity on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT for no triggering detail
amg

Post by amg »

Mine are. Deep breathing. Self hugs. Self massage. Brushing my hair gently