Letting go

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

honeybera

Re: Letting go

Post by honeybera »

2PM 9-7-2022 And that's what happens when you wait until after 1pm to water outside: it's 105º OUT THERE ALREADY! BUT I DID WATER!!!

I'm beginning to see that part of this is habit, just plain H-A-B-I-T!! So much is learned by our little ones, even if it isn't noticed by adults: how the table is set for a meal in a household (if at all), the nuances of language and mannerisms, and especially what is expected of the child(ren), what gets rewards and what gets punishment? Even an infant or a toddler is learning these things at a rapid pace.

So...reflecting in that vein, what was I taught? "Shut up!", "Go outside and play (in a brand new homemade dress oftentimes) - AND DON'T GET DIRTY!", or "Look at how UGLY you are! Look at that hair AND YOUR NOSE!! Your eyes are your only good feature. And you are SO STUPID!! Why did I ever have YOU?!" The only two mirrors in the house, one way up high in the tiny bathroom and one over the dresser in the equally tiny bedroom, were also high up for me without standing on my tiptoes, and were really of no use to me actually seeing this grotesque, deformed, and stupid monster that I was TOLD that I was. I would stand on my tiptoes, take a peek at my reflection, and then, due to the strain of gravity, have to come back down - but the split second that I did that, I went from, "Oh! THAT'S what I look like!" to "Uh, what did I just see again?" and up on my toes I'd go - repeatedly - until I'd hear MD viciously yell at me to "STOP THAT and go outside and play, for Pete's sake". MD even had my father build a FENCE (God, I hated that fence!!) around our cottage, blocking me from running in terror the 40' up to the safety of my Grandpa's house AND so that she didn't have to watch me at all. I felt trapped, and I WAS trapped!! We lived there from the time I was 1½-5 (barely)...most of my "formative years". :roll: I bit my fingernails down to the quick til they bled! Nervous? Yeah, just a tad! :x I never knew what was coming next or what diabolical thing she was thinking up to hit me with, literally or figuratively. But it didn't matter: there was NO ESCAPE! I just had to stand there and take it. No one was coming to save me. I was helpless, I was powerless, and I was VERY alone! :?

So that's what I learned way back then. And those are my habits to BREAK here in the NOW. MD is GONE. She will NOT come back from wherever she went. She cannot hurt me anymore...unless I play the deeply ingrained "Inner Critic" tapes in my head and ALLOW her to. And that's easy to do sometimes. I actually am noticing that it takes some real effort to push back, to not listen to the tapes. THEY ARE THERE, no doubt about it! But I've been watering DAILY for several days now...and that's a real TRIUMPH FOR ME!!!!

And OMG!!!!!! The Rubinette apple tree, in addition to the little unfurling green leaves, HAS BLOSSOMS ON IT, as if to say THANK YOU TO ME!! I can see that the tree is confused with its near death experience at my hands (lack of water), but BLOSSOMS?? :lol: And the Albion strawberries are not only sending out TWO new shoots (which I will gently pot and turn into two new Albion strawberry plants), but it has a STRAWBERRY ON IT, TOO!! OK, it's still green, but it's THERE!! I'm SO excited!!

AND only the heat out there stopped me today from completing a walkway to the rest of my yard (and my TOTALLY neglected fruit trees) on the east side of my house! It's a 22' wide strip from back fence to the front fence and the Fuji apple tree overhanging branches were blocking my path. I was also using hand held pruners to chop my way through my Fuji apple tree (at least 25' tall and LOADED with apples!!) with thick WHIPPY WEEDS (invasive Morning Glory vines) all tangled through it and half smothering the tree! I need to use my loppers instead. I have some dandy ones: a bypass ratchet lopper and a smaller anvil lopper for dead limbs. I also have my 6" hand held chain saw and another slightly larger chain saw either on a pole or hand held as well. I need to learn how to use and care for those, but the loppers are going to be used TOMORROW MORNING EARLY (111º forecast! :oops: :roll: ).

So I'll be hacking my way over to that side of the house and the adjacent garage side door. That will give me access to the garage from outside as well as inside. I also need to undo the 3 bales of straw on that side of the house and spread them all around the a/c condenser to BLOCK the whippy weeds from crawling up inside of it and ruining our a/c!!!! I'll cut back what is already there, too. (GREAT EXERCISE!! :mrgreen: ) If it gets too hot, I can always make it a two day job, BUT I have to make a path to there first. Water first, then loppers for the big Fuji branches on the one side to make a path, and then onward into my dust-dry side of the yard and maybe water some? I have most of my fruit trees over there without one drop of water all summer! I'll see how it looks once I have access to it again. Maybe just soak my Aprium, plum, apricot, and peaches. But the straw MUST go down around the condenser first! I'll figure it all out as I go. And with all the extra movement/exercise my muumuus are "getting bigger" on me. :mrgreen: Sweet extra benefit!

===================Midnight (at the oasis? 8-) )

Today was 109º. :oops: Tomorrow 110º. Even Friday 106º. But after that the temps slide down into something manageable!! THE UPPER 80S!! HALLELUJAH! I still need to water often, and I still need to get out there as early as possible. BUT! THAT ISN'T BAD! After that, it keeps on sliding down into the MID 80s!! All the way until late September! I am STOKED about that! I can just go out there and begin puttering. My truck won't start at the moment, but it's probably the battery. This heat kills everything. I guess we broke some records. I am going to battle my way over into the east yard - that's a new name for it, but it'll do. My loppers are at the ready and it's garbage night, too. Got some clean up to do...but it's still going to be 110º during the hottest times. I'm also going to do laundry early so our governor doesn't blow a fuse or something! :lol: They're already threatening rolling blackouts - not a good thing at all, but we are in a special tiny district where shutdowns are a true rarity. We don't even feel the earthquakes over here like they do along the coast, either. So we are truly blessed. I picked this area for a reason. ;) We do get the heat sometimes, but with a/c we do ok. Without it, it is hell on earth!!

Time for bed if I want to get much done tomorrow. It's been so hot even the tomatoes won't set fruit! Tons of blossoms, but no tomatoes. That will change, too. :mrgreen:

Honeybera ♥♥♥
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Well...it only got up to 109º today, but I also didn't water...yet. Instead, I did all my bedding. Didn't do my pills yet, either, and I piddled around playing my iPhone games for several hours, but as of 5pm, I got my dinner and sat down to eat and watch TV. Big mistake! I only watched half of my TV program, but due to advertising of something else that is featured, I went over to my pre-paid videos, and between that and eating and generally enjoying myself, there went the evening, dusk (last chance to water, even with the mosquitoes), and suddenly it was DARK out there! :roll: BUT I DID GET MY BEDDING ALL NICE AND CLEAN. Took a couple of rinsings, too. I think it was the Downy that kind of made a mess on my dark sheets and comforter. Due to the heat wave/electricity blackout threats, I washed before 4pm and waited to dry until after 9pm. Yes, we are rationed on our electrical use at the moment. :roll:

And now it's nearly 1 am. But I have my ice water and my bed is all nicely made and wonderfully clean! I have to admit to myself that I didn't do all that I had planned to do today. My get up and go just got up and went! I did a few things, and I staged a few others, too. I know that I need to clear out this old plastic laundry basket that is SO in my way!! It was blocking my shredder and the big pile of papers that need shredding ASAP. In this laundry basket are old bills and junk from 2008 (I checked today). Right after WATERING and doing my pills, I think I'll address that.

DS just isn't getting WHY I don't just "clear out" the front room, why I feel the need to do it 1) garage first, then 2) storage room and THEN 3) the front room. So I explained it: I need to clean the garage first (clean ALL those shelves off, sanitize them and the frames, and put the newly painted plywood shelves back into place and put the newly filled clear plastic bins of nonperishable and heat tolerant items on them!), and this needs to be done BEFORE I can clean out most of the stuff in the storage room, which is mostly garage bound. THEN I can move all the stuff (food and non food) into either the garage onto clean shelves or into the storage room. The "storage room" is actually a regular full sized 3rd bedroom with a full sized closet, so I will be putting all of the long term food stuffs in that room (air conditioned) plus the seldom used, extra kitchen small appliances, too, and even important paperwork, etc. The food alone will clear out my kitchen and a LOT of the front room stuff, DS can then get his D&D table set up (it's really nice and it's also BIG, but the front room is actually a "Great Room", so it will easily fit.) And I'LL GET MY KITCHEN and my kitchen table BACK!! And the family room, through a huge archway from the kitchen, will be functional again as well. The Teeter Hang Up will be set up in the family room plus my grow lights and the freeze dryer with a dedicated circuit outlet. But until those shelves are cleaned off in the garage, NOTHING MOVES.

I am going to be looking for a really good handyman to help me with this and that, especially the garage shelves. DS seemed rather irked today that I was even considering that, but with him either working or playing his video games or sleeping, I have to hire someone. I'm tired of waiting for him to do it for me. I'll wait forever at this rate.

Nearly 1:30am now. Bed is made and I'm all pooped out. I need to get up early and water again. This is (supposedly) the LAST DAY OF THIS HEAT WAVE! :mrgreen: It has even set records highs for HERE! So I HAVE TO get out there first thing and WATER, if nothing else! Then laundry (yes, I have more to do), and then pills and sort out the laundry basket FILLED with old paperwork. But it's oftentimes mixed up with important stuff, so it's piece by piece, one by one...I hate it, but it needs to be done!

Honeybera 8-) Zzzzzz!
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

4am before I got to sleep, BUT I got up at around 8-ish and WATERED THE ENTIRE YARD...THOROUGHLY! DEEPLY! It was very hard, but it was nice and "cool" (at 83º!) Even now I'm about to go back to bed. But I DID IT. And I'm super glad that I did!! Some plants were just drooping and flopped over while others were just fine, but none could have survived the upcoming 105º day without this morning's watering. The JBFM is deader than a door nail. :cry: No chance of revival, but I even watered that! And I'll put in another order today with Annie's for another one, which will be arriving on Sept. 22. That will give me time to plant all the others in bigger pots.

I'm also eyeing a new plant, Clianthus puniceus “Parrot’s Bill”. Looks like a fern, but has big hummer attracting RED flowers on it. However, it (and many other plants already here) cannot take the brutal direct sunlight we have here in the summertime and would prefer some afternoon shade, which I have, but not in great abundance. So I'm now thinking of how I can set up either a temporary or permanent sort of 7 or 8 ft. tall "shady shelter" up against the back fence for summertime heat relief for my plants. It would also allow me to SEE all my beautiful hummer plants and also see the hummers enjoying them. ♥♥♥ I can use PVC pipe for the outside frame and cover it with shade cloth. I can take it down in the wintertime or leave it up if it gets too cold out there. The thoughts are coming through rapidly!!

The little Rubinette apple is just amazing! Those tiny leaves and blossoms are coming out from behind where the brown crispy leaves are! That makes me so happy! I hope it's not too late to save my other fruit trees. If I can, I'll never let this go this far again. If I can't, I will be changing some things re: tree position and variety. So either way, I win. I was rushed by others and I was a rookie when putting in the other ones. Now I can do better, go slower, and make better choices. It's all about choices, isn't it.

I really needed to do all this watering, though. Missing a day taught me something about what is expected of me. Being out there with a life-giving hose on a daily basis is extremely important for my plant's survival!! Doing it early in a habitual manner (and avoiding the late afternoon/dusk hungry mosquitoes) is extremely important for MY survival!! I'll be "doing my pills" for the next week when I get back up from the rest of my sleep...AND emptying out that large plastic laundry basket full of old papers! (One basket/box/etc at a time, right?) Plus do my laundry at the appropriate times. :roll: And maybe re-pot some of these plants. They can't stay in 4" pots forever! And those heavenly blueberry muffins! The dry mix is already made - I just need to mix up the wet, combine them, and bake them! Yes, once awake again, I can keep busy, that's for sure.

But now that bed is calling me back to it! The a/c keeps my place nice and cool (78º is cool to me). Five more hours of sleep should put me at nearly 3pm...perfect! We fast (from food intake) when we sleep (that's why it's called BREAK-FAST), and we also heal when we sleep, so I need my sleep and...OMG! I'm yawning! Nighty night! (Thank God for blackout curtains and a/c!!)

Honeybera :lol: ♥♥♥
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Thursday 9-15-22 I just got a great little item from Amazon: a "Garden herb snip" from FISKARS! Type that in on the Amazon search bar and it's the first one that shows on there, the odd looking one. IT CUTS THOSE DARNED WHIPPY WEEDS LIKE A HOT KNIFE THROUGH WARM BUTTER!! :mrgreen: AND it fits my small arthritic hands. YES!! Easy to use, fits in the side pocket of my muumuu, and comes with a tiny plastic "sheath" for the blades. It will be slipped into my pocket every time I go out into the yard!!! Oftentimes before, I'd get out there and see a whippy snaking up the side or something and I'd have nothing to cut it with! Too tough to do with my bare hands (I've tried); those vines are TOUGH!!! My box cutter worked, but I'd have to take off my gloves to get it out of my pocket, unfold it and use it briefly, and then I couldn't get it back into my pocket! Pain in the butt! :x The whippy weeds made me fall out there in the yard several times by wrapping around my ankle - I'm up one minute and down the next. Well, NOT ANYMORE! I LOVE THESE CRAZY LOOKING SNIPS! :mrgreen:

I got several other items, too. When I first bought this house, I also bought some ratchet bypass loppers from Garrett-Wade. This guy makes fantastically well-built products that LAST FOREVER! The trouble is that I can FEEL the quality in them: they weigh a TON! To hold these loppers up in the air for any length of time is nearly impossible for me to do. So Fiskars is having a sale on nearly everything right now, and I got some lighter loppers (both bypass [green wood] and anvil [dead wood]) and several different hand pruners and, of course, my new SNIPS!! (Oh, God, I'm in LOVE with those new snips!!!!!)

I'm also doing well on my newest arrivals and watering. It is BLESSEDLY down to a comfortable 78º-90º in the next several days (nearly until the end of the month!) YAY! and my PLANS are to begin to trim up my HUGE Fuji apple tree so I can walk from one side of my yard to the other. That Fuji must be at least 15-18 ft. across and 1½ times as tall! I have a LOT of cutting/pruning to do just on that one tree! I have never pruned it! And it must be around 10-15 yrs. old! IT IS HUGE! And has the sweetest apples I've ever eaten, so I'm not going to cut it down, but just attempt to prune it back...WAY back! It's also FULL of whippy weeds! Hummingbirds and bumblebees delight, but not mine! There's so much nectar in those whippy weeds (AKA Deep Purple/Blue Morning Glory Vines - quite pretty, but VERY INVASIVE!) that I once saw a GOLDEN BEE just sitting out there, looking drunk or stunned, or at least that's what the (black?) nectar-covered bumblebee looked like to me. He was so weighted down with golden nectar that he looked gold and could barely fly with the weight of all that nectar. :lol:

I'd like to save just a little tiny bit of those whippy weeds, though, just stick one little plant into a 30 gallon pot with a strong support cage in it for them to climb on, and keep at least that much for the hummers...ok, ok, and even the black bumblebees, which scare me to death out there zipping around like crazy from flower to flower! But the flowers are stunning and such a good food source for the hummers and bees. I just can't abide the envasiveness of the actual vines. They can cover, smother, and suffocate any plant, even an entire full grown fruit tree! You should see what they've done to my a/c condenser out in the yard! I need to spread straw out there all around the a/c unit about 4" thick...and still keep an eye out for any WW that tend to pop up from underneath it to get some sun.

================(Happy Monday 9/19 at dawn)

It's supposed to rain again today (two days in a row!). I hope it helps with the fire danger in this state. Afterwards I'm going to begin to hack my way through the Fuji apple tree so I can get through to the other side of the yard. It's gone WILD!

================(9/22 Thursday evening)

I MADE MY BLUEBERRY ALMOND MUFFINS!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!! I had all of the dry ingredients made up already and in a covered big bowl on my kitchen table for months now (sort of like a cake mix would be stored in the pantry until it was made into a cake), but for some reason I could not get myself to mix up the melted butter, flavorings, cream, water, and eggs (the "wet" ingredients) and mix them both up together. My frozen blueberries were from a local store from 2020 and had seen better days, but we'll see how they come out of the oven in 20 min. I added vanilla and almond extract, too. I wish I had done lemon and cinnamon + lemon zest and the blueberries, but next time. I'm also buying FRESH frozen blueberries. The ones in there now are full of frozen watery stuff, but we'll see. In fact, I am going to use up what I have (almond flour, extracts [2015], and so on), but when gone, I am replacing the works with all new stuff. It's been so long since I've done baking like this.

Ooh, they smell SO GOOD! Why on earth do I not do this all the time?? What inside me is making me just not do this? I do know that it runs VERY DEEP in me! But I absolutely LOVE having baked goods available to me in the freezer, already baked up and ready for the microwave and a pat of butter or whipped cream cheese. I have a dozen (literally) cans of Libby's Organic Pumpkin (not the pie filling) still in the front room in a bag which I use for my yogurt and kefir drinks I make (SO GOOD!), but a nice Keto Pumpkin Bread Loaf would be WONDERFUL right now! Same with Banana Nut or Zucchini breads. Cookies, too! All can be done keto style. Both peanut butter cookies and macaroons are my favorites (and SUPER easy!!), but keto sugar free choc. chip cookies are seriously FAMOUS because they are so darned good. However if you buy them online or in the stores (if you can find them), they aren't nearly as good to eat and they cost a bloody fortune! It's SO much cheaper to make them! And it's not that hard...unless one has a very persistent mental block in doing it! :cry:

I pray for the key of understanding this to appear to me. Did MD teach me the Art of Procrastination? Or worse: the Art of Avoidance? If I don't do anything, I won't get in any trouble with anyone? But that just doesn't ring true.

Mmm! My entire house smells of those muffins baking! :mrgreen:

Had a nice long talk with my DB. We are getting along nicely. He reminded me that MD died almost two years ago to the day. (9/24/20) He apparently has his own complaints re: MD. After all, he is/was the Golden Child, the Heir Apparent. He actually admitted tonight that he was "smothered" by MD, which he says wasn't too bad when he was little, but when he tried to be independent as he grew older, she tried even harder to control him absolutely...and all the while she was abandoning me in some of the worst and most dangerous ways possible. He also shared with me that she actually admitted to him that she was proud of me becoming a Transit Bus Driver and sticking to it for over 25 yrs., but had to add that she never thought I'd make it. No one did...except me. He also invited me back to the ranch for a visit with him. Two kids have already left home, moving clear out of state, and the other one may move about 250 miles away for a class she needs that's given nowhere else. That would leave him flatly alone (MD's worst nightmare for him) with no one there for him or to help him take care of 40 acres of almonds and him at age 66. His wife, 53, just died of COVID on Dec. 11 of last year. This will be his first Thanksgiving without her. And then Xmas. And she was really big into all that holiday sort of thing. She made the home. I feel sorry for him.

BTW, all my plants (except for the 2 Mimulus) have survived the surface of the sun temps here. In the next few days, it should hit around 90º here, but that is SO much cooler than it was. After that, it drops into the 80s and even some 70s. I lived through it...and so did my other plants. All of my fancy-schmancy fertilizers and soil conditioners have now arrived, the temps will be nice out there, all my new pruning tools are in, and I can get busy. Everything needs pruning, rearranging, and refurbishing. I also have MUCH to do in the garage now that it's not too hot out there. I'm getting a handyman to clean (disinfect with bleach water) and paint the shelves out there. It's too big a job even for DS and I together! I need to clear off the shelves first and get some of it ready for whoever this handyman guy is. And I want to use him to bring the roll top desk out of the storage room so we can get to clearing off this mess/clutter in there and turn it into mostly an emergency food storage area. Non-perishable, non-food items can go out into the garage on those nice clean shelves in clear bins. I dream of this!!

OK, now I've had one of those muffins. YUMMMMMY! Plus I had my main meal, too. Now it's time for bed. And I am ready for it!

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Taking a break from the news on Hurricane Ian and contemplating my own internal hurricane. I am watching the inevitable decline of my physical abilities and my ability to put things together, to build things. I know that I am not alone on this. My DB can put together anything, but I was never viewed as someone worthy of the teaching and training that DB got lavished onto himself by doting parents. He can fix his own cars. He's kind of like a poor man's Jay Leno. He collects cars and restores them in his HUGE garage that he's built alongside his home. He can fix or repair anything as could my father. And he still runs his almond orchard (that my father started back in the 1960s when DB was school aged) - in fact, DB is about to pull out several acres of old trees and replace them with new ones with the goal of replacing the entire orchard...and he's doing this at 66 yr. old! :roll: His parental units programmed him for such confidence in himself.

And then there's me. I can garden and I can cook, none of which were gifts patiently given by MD. She beat me if I even TRIED to go near her kitchen! She made my bed every day so I would not "make a mess of it". She did my laundry, cooked all the meals, combed my hair, and laid out what I would wear for the day. Wow, that sounds like a maid/nanny/caretaker, doesn't it? But it didn't come without cost, believe me!! I now have little to no housekeeping skills - I wonder why! If she got mad (not necessarily at me), I got beaten. To "comb my hair", she would take the comb, put it next to my scalp, and PULL! I would scream (IT HURT!) and she would fly into a rage and curse me out and beat me for screaming. I could have NO possessions or toys - they might be there when I got home from school...or maybe not. Nothing was sacred! She knew that I loathed change (an autistic trait - my father had it, too), so she'd switch the furniture all around while I was at school. All of the things listed above (and MANY OTHERS) made me feel horribly UNSAFE. I was living with a monster and I knew it.

And then there were the nights she would decide to wash my hair. :roll: :cry: PURE TORTURE...literally. She would put me upside down leaning over the kitchen sink and pour water over me and my face and it felt like I was drowning! I could not breathe! (Think: waterboarding.) And then she would slap me and slug me with all her might if I even made a sound - which of course I did! Gasping and begging her to stop MIGHT finally bring SOME relief with a washcloth to cover my face and my hands being freed to do the same, but the water treatment ("rinsing my hair") would continue until SHE was satisfied. Torture indeed!

I read this and I could see how someone else would think, "Why complain about someone washing your hair for you, for cooking your dinner every night, for putting clean sheets on your bed? Was she REALLY so bad?" OH HELL YES SHE WAS!!!! She would always call me "devious" or "sneaky" or "conniving", but it was HER that were being those things!! She knew I was allergic to Whisk laundry detergent, so she'd SOAK my white school shirts arm pits with that particular detergent and let them dry into the cloth, so when I would sweat, I'd break out and be in pain all day as the rash developed. It hurt so bad! When I would painstakingly put together a model (cars, cartoon figures, etc.) and proudly put them up on my dresser, she would "accidentally" bump into them while vacuuming while I was at school the next day, and when I came home, I'd find them SMASHED to smithereens in my trash. It looked more like she'd taken a hammer to them, pummeling and bludgeoning and crunching them into a 1000 tiny pieces. That takes rage! That takes more than a bump with a vacuum cleaner!! And she did it each time I'd finish one of my models, purchased with my own babysitting money. She couldn't even tolerate me having a hobby that I enjoyed. After many, MANY times of coming home to this horrible disappointment after school, I finally gave up on even buying the models. I just gave up. It was a much better way of dealing with her and her violence than confronting her directly or sassing her. She knew all my buttons and just how to push them. And she never forgot to remind me that SHE had my father's ear and could and WOULD summon him to slap me around, too, if asked/told to. He was her constant threat of "muscle" that she used as a weapon against me. I wonder why sometimes that she saw me as such an enemy, as someone she wanted and needed to destroy. I would have done anything to please her, but I never found a way to do so. In my 70s, I finally gave up on that, too, and wisely walked away.

The slightest thing would set her off, too. Like when I was offered a ride home from school on someone's back fender of their bike and got a little grease spot on my new blue quilted skirt. I didn't even know it was there. She took my pony tails and used them as handle bars to smash my head repeatedly into the kitchen wall until I was so woozy that I could barely stand, shrieking at me at the top of her lungs, "HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID??" She stopped when I began to collapse. My legs just gave out. I didn't mean to get a smudge on my new skirt. I liked that blue skirt. And did that teach me a damned thing? No, not at all. Maybe I learned this: "Be more careful or I'll bash your brains in!" That I understood. But in public? "Oh, my. I do not know why that child is so nervous." (I know why!!)

And as time has gone on over the years, now I sit here and wonder WHY, too, I guess. I had even figured it out then when I was a little kid: she was a Rage-O-Holic, plain and simple. But trying to just stay away from her until her rages blew over was futile, to say the least. She would wait. She was very patient, even eerily patient. But she was seething all the while, waiting for me to show up again, and BLAM-O!!! So there was no escape, really. She spent the mornings and afternoons with my self-employed dad, chatting over coffee or something while I was at school, then he'd go to work before I got home, come home for dinner, and then go out to do service calls while I stayed there at home with MD. I'd be in bed by the time he got back home. I rarely saw him. She made sure of that.

=======================(about a week or so later)

I forgot to send this. I think I've run out of fresh abuse stories for now anyway. I'm beginning to repeat myself. I'm slowly sliding into depression. The outcome of the bc surgery is a real lumpy, messy scar under what once was my breast, which is sometimes painful and sometimes not, AND I've decided to NOT go back for a mere 4% additional chance of the cancer not recurring. It is NO guarantee that it won't recur if I do go in repeatedly for a full decade of harmful and dreadful and painful preventative treatments, and a 92% chance that it won't come back if I don't do a darned thing. We caught it so early that my chances of recurrence in the next five years is only 8%, so at nearly 76 yrs. old, I'm not going in!

My BC surgeon said I "went gray on the table", that is, I lost oxygen so much that I began to lose oxygen from my brain (I was SUFFOCATING!) and my skin began to turn gray rather than the normal pink = NOT GOOD. That condition can easily cause brain damage (and cause it quickly - within minutes!) or even death. I believe that my surgeon noticed it first, although it is the anesthesiologist's J-O-B to watch me for just such a thing. I also believe that my surgeon had to HURRY UP and close, and in the rush caused my cellulitis! She also did a very sloppy job of closing me up, which is out of character and skill for her. I am now VERY lopsided with one breast a couple inches shorter than the other one. I really don't care. If someone wanted to get that close to me and seeing that would make a difference, I wouldn't want to be around that person in that way anyway. But throughout (and because of) this grueling process (and of course how COVID has been mishandled), I have lost all respect for the medical establishment in general. They just want their money - to heck with the patient's needs. It's all about their profits, and that includes BIG PHARMA's cut. It's hard not to be bitter.

====================(clear into early October)

I found a site online [housewifehowtos dot com/get-organized/how-to-decide-whats-clutter/] that promises to help me "declutter" my house and to address the WHY of why I have such a hard time deciding and sorting and "letting go" of things. If she can do that, I will be thrilled to listen!! AND she claims that she can make it easier to make those decisions. Lord, I hope so!

***** I hear what she's saying, but I'm not quite convinced yet. She's kind of preachy, but I'm going to research this further. But once again, I am influenced by the past and MD. :roll:

Once upon a time long, long ago, MD had just had my father, a VERY talented "handyman" around the house, build her a huge wall of storage cabinets in the garage at the Ranch. She couldn't wait to show them off to me (so like her), and when she did, she told me and showed me how she kept everything so neatly in these cabinets: "If I haven't used it in 3 months, I put it here. If I haven't used it in 6 months, out it goes!" And that went for EVERYTHING!!!! She was one of the most wasteful people I have ever known. She'd make a nice, big roast for dinner, and if we didn't eat the entire thing at one sitting, OUT IT WENT into the garbage! NO LEFTOVERS were allowed in her fridge!! No matter what it was! It made her feel "elegant" to not have any leftovers. She literally came out West during The Great Depression as a toddler, very Grapes of Wrath sort of stuff, and it changed her.

She and her two sisters were taken from relatives (her own bio-mom had abandoned her to them) when they were reported by neighbors to the Children's Home Society due to horrible neglect and probable molestation and was adopted out by age 6 to my grandparents. So to eat leftovers (for her) was shameful - same thing went for any clutter, since her self worth was completely tied up in keeping a ridiculously clean house and being a proper 1950s housewife. Her wrath turned on me often, being the anchor baby and only child for the first 10 yrs. of my life and her marriage, and she saw me as the reason that she could not follow my father into his business - and she was right. I was the reason she was left behind, day after day, to clean that tiny little cottage and cook the meals and do the ironing and be the caretaker for his child while he went blithely off to work. But I didn't choose that role that I was given, which she conveniently forgot as she made me the target of her fury. She was simply a mean teenager with such a dreadful history, trying to raise a little girl that she really didn't want, but dared not even say it. She had to appear "elegant" and so mature and such a good wife and mother, but she was NOT.

Now this online cleaning lady comes along and gives me this "advice" on how to judge how to LET GO of something: If I haven't used something in 3 months, set it aside in one place. Then revisit it in 6 months, and if I STILL haven't used it, THROW IT OUT. :roll: :roll: :roll: Where, O where, have I heard that before???? :| I believe that it was in the late 1960s or early 1970s out at the Ranch where I'd come 100 miles to visit and admire MD's new garage cabinets. :roll: Good grief!!! It's probably sage advice for most people, but I never have been and probably never will be MOST PEOPLE. And on top of that, I'm burdened with a crystal clear eidetic memory!! It's like a little movie that plays in my mind - I can see her opening up the huge cabinet doors, showing me the neatly stacked and marked cardboard boxes inside, gloating and shaming me (as was her way) for not having something similar. (This was during my 20 year stint on Welfare. I didn't have a penny extra to spend nor a place to put it.) It's how my memories work, both sadly and gratefully at the same time.

These little turds of wisdom (and knowledge of further abuse by MD) continue to float deliberately to the top of my mental punch bowl, and I continue to skim them off, deal with them, and move on. Imagine my gratitude towards having isurvive. org to turn to to dump them off, exposing my story, and walking away. It's what I've done now - but I have to stop now (do I hear applause? :lol: ) and go make DS and I some yummy Brunch right now. His nibs is hungry. ♥ And so am I.

Honeybera
Last edited by Harmony on Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: MT to ST, for graphic triggering detail
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

This is SO therapeutic! I am just finishing up with the big laundry basket full of "junk" from 2004-07...but it wasn't all junk and had to be gone through one piece of "junk"at a time and so many papers...painstakingly! Why, you say? Well, I found DS's official Birth Certificate in there along with his Social Sec. card. Darned near threw it out by accident. There were several things in there that I saved, but not much. Old bills that had to be shredded, many papers related to my travel trailer (TT) that I lived in while at the bus yard (for free, but no hookups of any kind). It was just a 4-car parking spot in the back of the parking lot that I parked a 33' TT in (as did many other drivers who lived far away), bought a generator so I had electricity, put it in the pickup's bed that was parked next to the TT, and crawled up in there to fill it with gas at a gas station year 'round, no matter what the weather. Same thing for filling the propane tanks. Lifting them into the pickup empty was a chore, but hefting them back off the truck FULL and then up onto the trailer and rehooking them up...what a back breaking chore that was!! I hand-toted my drinking water back and forth from the Driver's Room in a big 3 gallon dispenser, used the shower facilities in the Driver's Room (about 100' from my TT's front door) and their bathroom, too. All of us living out there in the parking lot did. It saved us a grueling daily commute in horrible and unpredictable traffic! I lived like that for my last 10 yrs. before retirement plus driving the bus all day (or night) long. I really earned my pension!! :mrgreen:

I have to admit that that online clutter helping lady really did give me an edge with her "3 month maybe/6 month out it goes" philosophy. I'm starting to understand what she meant by that. MD just took it to insane places, and she had NO limits. Old photographs, sentimental things, anything that wasn't tied down - and OUT THEY'D GO if they meant nothing to HER. It was disrespectful!! Our house always looked stripped down and unlived in. Like a model home or something, and it felt that way, too. My father liked to read the newspaper and drink his coffee in the morning. The split second she gave it to him, she watched him like a HAWK for him to FINISH it so she could get rid of the empty cup, wash it, and put it back in the cupboard, all nice and CLEAN. :roll: Occasionally he would really get into reading his paper, but not having finished his coffee, and by the time he noticed it was gone, she'd dumped it, washed the cup, and into the cupboard with it! He'd say, "HEY! Where's my coffee?", she'd apologize, but he'd have to wait until the next day for more coffee. She was something to live with, even for my dad. Once when I asked him why he put up with that sort of behavior, he told me verbatim, "Well, I've got to live with her, Honey." Boy, did he ever!!

So now I look back on what MD did and her 3mo/6mo philosophy and I reconsider what that unclutter lady said and I look at how I'm living and deciding what I want to do about it and how - and the pieces are beginning to fall into place. I'm going to go re-read that article tonight. The huge laundry basket is finished and all the shredding of paperwork is done. YAY!!! Now I can clear my recliner out and use it as my little reading nook with a small glass side table/pole lamp again instead of using it as just a flat area to stack stuff on top of. I'm moving the 3 cardboard boxes sitting OFF the recliner over to the table that the laundry basket has been sitting on so I can sort them out without bending down too far. Saves my back. And then one box at a time, one piece at a time, until it's all cleared away. Then set up my computer and new printer and keyboard and mouse on new little black folding "desks" so I can reach over to pull my black out curtains both open and shut (too big a reach for me now) and have my wonderful view of my hummingbirds outside. SO HAPPY!! Also sort all the papers cluttering my "desk"/computer area right now. Most are from the bc time this summer. I need to go through them and get ready to set up my smaller "desk" space for my computer, printer, and new keyboard/mouse. Yes, SO HAPPY is right!!

THEN I've decided to clear away all the J-U-N-K in front of my electric "fireplace" and dresser (I WANT MY ROOM BACK!!) - it's been in here since DS said to me, "If you clean the roll top desk and move the stuff blocking it into your room, I'll move the roll top out of the Storage Room." So I did. I cleared EVERYTHING off the roll top and cleaned out the inside drawers and files and everything...years ago. And there it still sits, and all the stuff in front of my electric fireplace is still there, too. :| I don't want to nag, but SHEESH!! :roll: This year natural gas (like for my gas heater system for the whole house) is going to be VERY costly, but electricity not as much. So I want to sort out ALL the stuff in front of the electric fireplace (a BIG carved wooden style cabinet with an electric heater inside with a pretty little fake "fire" and a thermostat and my big screen TV on top of it - really nice!) so I can at least use it again without causing a fire in all the junk PILED up in front of it! It does get pretty "cold" here in late Dec. and early Jan. (slightly under 32ºF off and on for about 4 wks. a year - don't laugh!) but why heat up the entire house if we don't need to? A/C in the summer? That's a different thing.

=======================(next morning)

I dare not even look at the overwhelming amount of the task ahead of me! I am re-reading the HOW TO's of organizing this mess of a house (not the house's mess - it's a gorgeous house and the mess is mine developed over 20 yrs. of not doing much to fix even the chaotic move in so long ago). It is daunting! AND challenging!!! But I am also reconsidering the wisdom of what this lady is telling me, the parroting of MD's snide advice notwithstanding. I'm slowly starting to make it my own by saying: "Clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be happy." For example: once I get my front room back from the clutter and many deliveries, (THAT INSTANT) I'm going to have those carpets in there ripped out and lay down vinyl planking: SOOOO much easier to clean!! Also have them do the hallway where DS's AND the "guest" bathroom is, and that will allow us to have company over without shame or explanation. After all the accidents of all of the packs of dogs that have been through here (and DD's cats and the overflowing litter box kept on the carpet for the year that she stayed here in 2008), my carpets, which were supposed to only last us for 18 months, are 20 yrs. overdue to be replaced. I can afford to get something better, so why not?

But first...THE GARAGE. THE STORAGE ROOM. THE KITCHEN. THE LIVING ROOM. AND THE FRONT ROOM. :o :shock: :? :roll: Like I said, I dare not even look at how much there is to be done! But both this lady AND Mark Twain are saying to break it down into smaller, manageable tasks and then start on the first one. The clutter lady is advising how to look at it and how to let things go, and she's doing it in a kind and respectful, but firm, way...kind of like a parental unit. :shock: Well, my, my, my. And it's logical, too, and not hurtful. It's a choice to make, no shame involved, and the choice is solely MINE. I can continue to complain and live in the encroaching clutter, or I can begin to chip away at it. I choose the latter! Let's see how I do. 8-)

Better get busy! I have my chores already lined up in my mind for today's assault on this mess. I hope I can get some help from DS. This is NOT his strong suit. But I need to clean off my recliner where it's buried under 3 big mystery boxes. That is today's chore - plus some addressing the front room and uncovering that chair in there so I have somewhere to SIT when my legs and back give out. (Right now they're under several boxes of heavy items and canned goods.) I'm going to also survey the brand new items that have come in from Amazon and many other places that are stacking up and up and up. I need to locate new homes for all of them. Do they BELONG in the front room? If not, where do they go? Why aren't they there instead? Etc. etc. etc!! And ALSO just LOOK at the garage, maybe do a mystery box out there, too. One box at a time.

So much healing I've done on isurvive.org!! YAY!!! THERAPEUTIC INDEED!!! :mrgreen:

God bless you all!!! Now where's my coffee? Time to start...

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Yet another epiphany!! :idea: They come often when I wake up, an understanding, an awareness of how I got to be me, and how MD created it in me, beginning in my infancy and winding and weaving throughout my life like some ugly, painful, mysterious thread woven deeply into my miserable life. In fact, it's an abiding strand so intertwined with my original makeup that the only way to dislodge it is to UNDERSTAND it and move on, and isn't that what "forgiveness" is all about?

More specifically, I began to understand my love of my uniform at work. It gave me so much pleasure! It was only a mandatory UNIFORM, BUT if I wore it according to the rules of the Bus Driver's Handbook, I would be ok, be accepted, I would BELONG, and be just like everyone else - add to that, NEVER BE IN TROUBLE for coming to work out of uniform. I WOULD HAPPILY BE IN COMPLIANCE as they called it and when I wore it, when I drove the bus in it, I BELONGED TO THAT GROUP. One other lady bus driver who was MARRIED TO THE DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT decided that she wanted to wear a beret to work, AND she looked quite pretty in it and it matched her uniform. Long story short, she was FIRED for that. Stubborn woman she was, but even her obvious pull with her husband and our strong closed shop Union could not save her! She was given many chances, but it was that Navy blue beret or be fired. She chose the latter. :roll:

But me? No, I was GRATEFUL for that uniform!!!! I even remember mentioning it to my T at the time. It made me feel secure, gave me a meaning, a purpose. AND NO ONE JUDGED ME! No one ridiculed me for how I looked or looked down on me when I was wearing it. It gave me self pride, self esteem, and a DEEP sense of belonging, something that was always lacking with my upbringing at MD's hands. AND I had the backing of my Union, like a big brother/sister that I'd never had. And it felt great!!

When I was a kid, MD DRESSED ME. She PICKED OUT WHAT I WAS TO WEAR THAT DAY, EVEN BOUGHT MY CLOTHES WITHOUT MY CONSENT! SHE DID MY HAIR, and I never was allowed to do ANYTHING about ANYTHING involved with how I looked or what style I wanted. I was interested in doing so, but was laughed at and told that I'd only mess things up if allowed anywhere near a brush or shopping spree. She'd go to the store and make HER selections and that's what I'd wear. I was not even allowed to TOUCH my French Provencal solid wood dresser (elegant? For a tomboy kid?) NOR to choose my clothes. Even in high school she would NOT take me shopping for clothes. She would go shopping, SHE would pick out what I'd wear, and then she'd "SURPRISE" me by giving them to me after school. I HATED THOSE CLOTHES, but she'd say, "When I was a kid, I would have LOVED this beige and purple plaid skirt!!" or whatever. I hated them. Most of them anyway. AND she physically dressed me until I was 12 and combed my hair until I move out after getting married. Then I heard NOTHING from her and she never called me ever again. I was the one who called HER...until I lived here. On Sunday night I needed to get to sleep by 6pm to get up at 2am and OUT THE DOOR for the long commute to work BY 4AM or else be stuck in traffic all the way to my TT and possibly be late for work - so when would SHE call ME? OF COURSE!! At 7pm, just after I'd have gone to sleep. She did this MANY, MANY times!!!

We wore the uniform shirts from the post office with the mail carrier badges removed by the specified uniform shop who would sew on our badges. I only had two on my uniform shirt sleeve: my regular badge and my One Million Miles Safe Driver award. (Yeah, I was that good! ;) :mrgreen: ) When I retired, I was close to getting my TWO million mile, but MD messed that up for me, too, by mentally abusing two of my kids (DD and DS) who were working as her caretakers after her stroke, pitting them, her own grandchildren, against one another, so I came home from work 100 miles away and never went back for my last 5 months until my retirement date. :x That harpy KNEW where my buttons were and sadly it worked!! But that move totally backfired and put her into the nursing home by DB and she lived in overwhelming sadness 9 yrs. after that, her DREAM HOME provided by my father less than a mile from my house SOLD by DB to pay for her stay in the nursing home, so she got hers! I could have done nothing more hideous to her, yet I have no guilt for it. I didn't do it! And I'm VERY glad that I didn't make that last trip to visit with her and ridicule HER for being so FAT and DIABETIC, which she eventually became (according to DB) by eating and eating anything sweet and sugary and chowing down huge meals in the cafeteria! But I didn't do that either. Thank God for sparing me that guilt!!!

When I was a kid, MD DRESSED ME. She PICKED OUT WHAT I WAS TO WEAR THAT DAY, EVEN BOUGHT MY CLOTHES WITHOUT MY CONSENT! SHE DID MY HAIR, CHOSE MY HAIR STYLE, and I never was allowed to do ANYTHING about ANYTHING involved with how I looked or what style I wanted. I was interested in doing so, but was laughed at by her and told that "I'd only mess things up" if allowed anywhere near a comb or hairbrush or shopping spree. She'd go to the store and make HER selections and that's what I'd wear. I was not even allowed to TOUCH my French Provencal solid wood dresser (elegant? For a tomboy kid?) NOR to open a drawer and choose my clothes. Even in high school she would NOT take me shopping for clothes. She would go shopping, SHE would pick out what I'd wear, and then she'd "SURPRISE" me by giving them to me after school. I HATED THOSE CLOTHES, but she'd say, "When I was a kid, I would have LOVED this beige and purple plaid skirt!!" or whatever. I hated them. Most of them anyway. AND she physically dressed me until I was 12 and combed my hair until I moved out after getting married. Then I heard NOTHING from her and she never called me ever again. I was the one who called HER...until I lived here. On Sunday night I needed to get to sleep by 6pm to get up at 2am and OUT THE DOOR for the long 100 mile commute to work BY 4AM or else be stuck in traffic all the way to my TT and possibly be late for work - so when would SHE call ME? OF COURSE!! At 7pm, just after I'd have gone to sleep. She did this MANY, MANY times!!! I finally moved the phone to a different room so DS would have to answer and told her that I was sleeping. That finally stopped her...eventually! Damn, she was SO MEAN!!! AND CONNIVING!!!
TO CONNIVE:
: to pretend ignorance of or fail to take action against something one ought to oppose
She always called me a conniver, but it was HER, not me who connived! She always said of herself: "I'm dumb like a fox!"

WAIT...WHAT?? I began this thinking in the positive and now am sliding into the negative. Uh...NO! STOP, STOP, STOP!!! Oh, rereading this I can see where I swerved into the negative lane. My TWO million mile safe driver award. Well, nuts to MD! I think I'll get to doing my laundry and clearing out a box or two, maybe do some light yard work, or garage or front room work. OR URGING DS TO ASSEMBLE MY NEW (STILL IN THE BOX) WET-DRY VACUUM??! There ya go!! I slept for a solid 12 hrs. last night and feel pretty good at the moment. Thanks for listening to my epiphany this morning. That thread runs deep in the fabric of my being...so to speak.

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Just a quickie here: WE MADE REAL PROGRESS YESTERDAY, DS AND I! We had a bit of a skirmish initially, but both got through it (blessedly) without explosive anger on either side. That's real progress, too. No, rather we discussed our grievances quietly, did something about them, and now hopefully are on a roll. DS was upset because I have paper products stacked in front of the roll top desk (yes, THAT roll top desk :roll: ) so he "can't move it out of there". AND he wants to clear out the front room (me too!) so he can build and set up his huge D&D table in there (I'm all for that, too), but he complains that I want to start with the Storage Room first, to do cleaning out and sorting properly so we don't just pile new stuff on top of old stuff and exacerbate the mess. I could stop buying stuff for the uncluttered storage room that ends up using the front room as a waiting room, but I'm being influenced with AND pressured by constantly rising prices (INFLATION). I do want to clean out the storage room first and THEN begin to place the clog of goods and UN-assembled items in my front room. Otherwise, we're just making a bigger mess to clean up later!

We're both actually on the same page: a clean house we can be proud of. So I had him take a few things that I wish to sell out of the storage room and into the garage, creating more space in the storage room. There's much more to be done, but I sent him a text message sharing with him how we may do a few more things today: #50 rice hulls (moisture saving mulch), #44 Azomite (soil enhancer), and TWO 20# bags of worm castings (fertilizer) to be moved out to the garage where they belong. All this will come out of the front room, which should make DS very happy. I very well may get out there to the garage TODAY and sort around to make more room, maybe even clean out a box or two and cut up cardboard. We are both wanting to get this done, but I don't want to clutter up one place even worse just to say we've "cleaned out" the front room! It will simply COMPOUND our current problem as I see it.

I have a long term vision while DS's is a much shorter one...initially. My way of doing it takes more time, but is DONE once finished. He can't see that. But I'm about to try to remove SOME things from the front room to their permanent home in the garage (and then into the garden). God, I need those shelves in the garage DONE! That would solve a lot, but again...that takes time to sort through a myriad of disgusting and often ancient rat-dung-littered "Mystery Boxes of Neglect and Clutter" AND I oftentimes need DS's help with lots of lifting. Let's see how we do just for today, though. Wish us luck!

Honeybera - "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go"
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

We did good today! We had to discuss how it was to be done further, but we both got what we wanted, which was progress. I am thrilled that we worked together for two days in a row. Mostly we moved all that garage stuff out into the garage and rearranged a lot of full delivery boxes into more efficient spots. Still have TONS of stuff to do, but I will try to do a third day in a row tomorrow, perhaps in the storage room, perhaps in the garage...or maybe both.

Amazingly short post today, but I'm really tired tonight. ;) Tired is good.

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

I've been writing, but it keeps erasing my post when I try to preview it, so tonight I'm not going to preview it, just send it. Just to let you know that I'm alive...and I still am alive. So there! :P

So I'm just testing it for tonight. It's after midnight already, so this will be brief. Just do know that all is well.

Honeybera