Feeling really good

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

grandma in pain

Feeling really good

Post by grandma in pain »

This November my husband and I will be married 43 years, and we've actually been together for 46 years. I had just turned 16 one month before we started dating, and he was 17. Although we were that young, everyone knew that we were meant for one another. We have 4 adult children, 3 daughters and a son, and 14 grandchildren with one more on the way.

We raised our 4 kids where we were all involved with each other's interests and supported them. Our son went to watch his sisters' dance recitals, went to dance competitions, and also went to our oldest daughter's Nutcracker performances. There was never a time when he didn't want to go. And we were all involved with his soccer games when he was young. None of them ever had it where they didn't want to go and watch another one. Each of them grew up knowing that they were loved unconditionally and that they mattered, and that their interests were important to all of us.

Fast forward 30+ years, and it is still that way. It is also that way for their children. Their children all know that Grandma and Pop love them and that each one of them matter to us.

The army took 2 of our daughters in different directions around the country with their husbands and children, and yet the close bond is still there. One son-in-law is still in the army and fortunately as of 1 year ago is stationed much closer now.

2 weeks ago, our oldest daughter came to visit for the first time in 12 years and it was simply amazing! One daughter lives about half an hour away and our son is currently living with us along with his wife. Our youngest daughter whose husband is still in the army lives 2 and a half hours away. Everyone was able to get together for these past 2 weeks and reconnect, and some of them actually met for the first time. Also, our oldest daughter made a full vacation out of it by going to several different places and invited some of us at different times to go along with them.

It is 3:15am right now, and in a few hours she and her kids will be getting on a plane and heading back home to the other side of the country. She told me that they had an amazing time here, and that made me feel so good and so proud. Proud of what my husband and I managed to do for all of these years. Our kids WANT us around them. They WANT us to visit whenever we do and they never want us to leave when the time comes. They enjoy the entire time whenever we are together and never get to the point where they become frustrated or annoyed by our presence for any reason. And it's the same way whenever they come here. They WANT to be here. Finances and circumstances kept our oldest daughter from being able to visit for the past 12 years, but she always wished that she could. Sadly, she lost her husband to cancer on January 1, 2021. She had been his caregiver for the 3 years that he was sick, and so seeing her here once again with her brother and sisters and smiling and being so happy was good for everyone.

I guess I'm rambling now and turning this into a long post, but I'm just so proud of who they are and how they are, no matter how long they've been apart. I always parented with love and respect along with unity in our little family, and to see that that is still there within each of them and how big our family has become, it's great. And having my daughter-in-law thinking that each and every one of them is amazing and having her say that she's so happy having a big family like this and that she loves them all and how it's something she has always wanted...well, that's priceless.
You will forever be in my heart...
(Member since March 21, 2008; 1324 previous posts)
Rosahope

Re: Feeling really good

Post by Rosahope »

Sounds precious!
grandma in pain

Thank you, Rosahope
Scars

Post by Scars »

dear grandma NOT in pain,

thanks for sharing this
i am celebrating with you
you have a lot to celebrate

scars
A scar is the tattoo of a triumph to be proud of. It says the hurt is over and the wound is closed. It means you conquered the pain, learned a lesson, grew stronger, and moved forward. There is a beauty in my scars that I can see now.
Redefined

Post by Redefined »

My family too was able to get together this past month. It's great to know others have a special bond with their large families.
I'm very happy for you.
grandma in pain

Scars, thank you so much

Redefined, thank you to you as well. I'm so happy knowing that your family was also able to get together also
Redefined

Post by Redefined »

Hugs grandma in pain

I come from a large family to.
We just had a " successful" reunion. It was good to see everyone but I was quite guarded.
I'm so happy that you were able to get together with all of them.
Thank you for sharing this. You're words give me hope.
grandma in pain

Thank you, Redefined. That's great that you had a successful reunion.

This visit from our oldest daughter only brought all 4 of my children together, along with their significant others and their kids. No other relatives. I could never handle a big family reunion with my siblings and others because it wouldn't go well and I have no desire to see them anyway. I will just stick with my kids and their children and be completely fulfilled
Oceantide

Post by Oceantide »

grandma in pain, what a wonderful experience. How lovely that you and your husband and children feel such joy spending time with each other. Perhaps gentle self-care will ease the transition back to your smaller family unit after the departures (I sometimes find transitions hard:) Thank you for sharing, Oceantide.
grandma in pain

Thank you, Oceantide