How can I get out of bed in the morning?

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

GreenGreenGreen

How can I get out of bed in the morning?

Post by GreenGreenGreen »

I have been stuck in a "funk" for the past few weeks. I just want to lie in bed and do nothing. I want to disappear.

I am a creative person who always has a project going, if not 10 projects going, but as of a few weeks ago when some old issues and memories came up, my mind is just...blank.

I wake up every morning just wishing I didn't have to wake up, and wishing I could keep sleeping.

Any commitment or to-do list item fills me with dread and I just want to go to sleep and escape it.

I just want to hibernate until I feel better.

I do a bit of laundry every day, cook some food, sometimes take a shower. I feel like I'm doing the bare minimum at least.

I keep telling myself, "tomorrow I'll get up," or "next week I'll get back to work." But don't want to do anything now.

Has this happened to you? What are some things that help you snap out of it and get back to living life and having a routine? I'm sure there are tons of things that will help. I just can't think of any. Help please.
Progress

Re: How can I get out of bed in the morning?

Post by Progress »

Hi GreenGreenGreen,
I’m sorry you’re going through this. It sucks. Big time.

I have to set up commitments outside the house. I harness the “people pleaser” in me to push through the depression, etc. But I use it for my own good! I don’t cancel my outside commitments for fear of being judged. But, HA! I use it to my own benefit! So there’s that. Once I am out the door and interacting a bit with people, I can get the wind back in my sails.

Even if I say, I am going to the library today, I can procrastinate on it all day because it’s not an official “appointment”. It has to be a scheduled appt in order to trick myself. That’s why I agreed to teach summer school. It’s an obligation for a certain time. I feel forced to get up and out. When I get home, I still have some ooomph.

Idk, can you sign up for a fun class? An exercise class even if it’s just for stretching or maybe intro yoga? Or a massage or a manicure or a Tarot card reading? Idk I’m just making things up…
Hey, maybe you could sign up for a Zoom class on Tai Chi or something. Idk, anything that sounds like fun that you will still feel obligated to attend.

Disregard if this doesn’t help. I hope you find some answers today. Thinking of you!
Progress