US friends: how to write a CV?

Games and fun things to talk about.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

BlueNeon

US friends: how to write a CV?

Post by BlueNeon »

Hi there! Totally OT, I hope it's ok to post it here.
I'm thinking to apply to a company US-based, but as an European person I've no idea how to write an American resumé. Even worse, they're asking for a "full CV", that is totally different from the European one --or at least, that's what they say.
I can't stretch enough how much I'm stressed about it! :? Plus, I've never wrote a CV from scratch because in Europe we usually use the Europass tool, so I've really no idea about what should be the starting point.

Could someone please help me? :(
dancingfish

Re: US friends: how to write a CV?

Post by dancingfish »

Hey there! First, take a deep breath, it's okay and you can do this. :D Second, I'm not an American, but having done a lot of UK C.V. writing lately, was curious and found some possibly helpful resources for you. :) I find if I know more about what I need to do, the panic etc. goes away a bit.

The resume seems to typically be a 1 page overview of your skills, education and work experience, so a sort of cut-down, de-personalised European C.V.. The American C.V. is typically multi-page and for (apparently!) the more academic world such as professors, teachers, research folks, and should include research worked on, papers written, teaching experience, awards received, etc. I suspect you know far more about this than I, though!

A couple of useful places seem to be:

- The iAgora website - I can't post links here, but if you copy/paste the address to follow it takes you to a white and blue webpage of text with lots of useful info: www.iagora.com/work/en/resumes/cv_usa.html )

- The Columbia University careers website - is mentioned on above website, but the link went to a dead page. Try here, it's another white/blue website with mostly text, and a picture of two students apparently studying!: www.careereducation.columbia.edu/resources/writing-resume-getting-started

Lastly I've always found searching google images for example CVs pretty handy, tend to find a lot of examples which are helpful. Also just searching for "differences between american and european CV" will bring up some guides to get you started.

Good luck with it, in any case! You can do it, and feel free to chat/ask here! Hopefully someone with actual relevant experience will be along shortly, too. :D
BlueNeon

Post by BlueNeon »

Thank you a lot, dancingfish!
I didn't find your two resources, they are pretty useful, thank you! I tried to google the differences but I can only find things that I already know, while a visual example would be way more useful than a written comparison. Let's see if someone else has something to add to your reply, in the meanwhile --thank you again! :mrgreen:
there

Post by there »

Hi, BlueNeon,
Spoke with my brother. We both thought that one difference between a resume and a CV here is the kind of job you're applying for. A CV is something you more likely use for employment in academia. You sure wouldn't need one for a retail job, generally not for corporate. Here, too, a CV is longer than a resume.
He went right to indeed dot com, the largest US site for job searches. They said that a CV usually contains references, projects worked on, or dissertations. The projects or dissertations are things that a resume usually wouldn't include.

Then it said that in the UK, Australia, new Zealand, and parts of Europe a CV and resume are about the same thing.

Hope any of this is helpful, BlueNeon.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
BlueNeon

Post by BlueNeon »

Thank you, there, and please thank your brother too for me.
In the end I managed to write something vaguely resembling a CV and I just sent it. I'm pretty sure I'll never be chosen but oh well, at least I tried.
Thank you all again.
Getup

Post by Getup »

USAJOBS.gov has a resume builder that is ok. You are correct it is just like a regular resume you just list your education. Your major, thesis, classes taken,exc.,... any classes that the job that your applying for might find useful. Hopefully you get it good luck.