Trauma and recovery - Judith Herman

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Shine

Trauma and recovery - Judith Herman

Post by Shine »

This is my go-to book and has been my biggest ally in healing. Judith talks about all forms of trauma and explores how trauma responses have been portrayed throughout history. She also talks about the stages of healing: developing a trusting therapeutic relationshio, establishing safety, remembrance and mourning and finally reconnection.
It's a brilliant book that has really helped me over the years and I would highly recommend it. There are some you tube clips of Judith using the metaphor of a fizzy bottle of pop to describe reprocessing, allowing the arousal levels to lessen with memories so that the lid can be loosened to let the pressure out without the whole bottle spraying everywhere
Jonesy
Director
Director

Re: Trauma and recovery - Judith Herman

Post by Jonesy »

Thanks for sharing Shine
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
rosa123

Post by rosa123 »

This was a very empowering book to me too, particularly the part where she talks about the social aspect of abuse and trauma. Abuse does not happen in a void. It is not an individualistic problem. Usually it is permitted by the culture that surrounds it.
Last edited by Xanthia on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed to NT
quixote

Post by quixote »

rosa123,
Glad this book appealed to you. It is not always easy to find a book that speaks to us.
quixote
earthhorse

Post by earthhorse »

I wholeheartedly support this book.
"One kind word can warm three winter months"