Self-soothing & comforting suggestions

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

Serenity
Director
Director

Re: Self-soothing & comforting suggestions

Post by Serenity »

Those adult coloring books are awesome! The easy ones are lots of fun, too.
Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

Hi everyone,

Bumping this thread for new members and reminder for those of us who have been around iSurvive a while....

Perhaps making a list of what helps you could be useful as it has helped me.
Xanthia
Couragetoday

Post by Couragetoday »

*The quiet soothing sound of a small humidifier near bed at night.
*colouring adult sticker books. Then the stickers can be used for decorating something.
*when feeling anxious, out of sorts, mindfully preparing and having a hot cup of herbal tea. Feeling the warmth in the hands as well as while drinking.

Thanks for the 'bump'
Nibs

Post by Nibs »

When I was in an intensive outpatient program, they had us make a box filled with soothing objects that addressed all the senses, then we decorated our box so that just the sight of it was soothing. I don't use this anymore, but to self-sooth I do address all my senses. Comfy blanket to feel, music that makes me happy to listen to, watching a favorite movie, scents that remind me of happy times, something yummy to eat or drink...if I am away from home and feel panicked, I use the same idea to ground myself. I start naming things I can see, even if it is just colors, I name what I can hear, what I can feel, what I can smell. I stay focused on sensation until I can calm down. If that doesn't work, I start naming what physical sensations I am having...heart pounding, tight breathing, upset tummy....whatever I feel. Getting in touch with my body is hard, but once I do, I just focus on breathing into my heart and that usually gets me in a better place.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I will be incorporating some of them.

Fondly, Nibs.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I have a box of sensory items near my bed, including current life details for faster return to present moment after nightmares

Haven't decorated the box, thanks for suggestion Nibs
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
tabby

Post by tabby »

Youtube has some great videos for relaxing. Running streams really help me. But there are birds and waves and etc.
tabby ... Just keep your head above... Swim
Couragetoday

Post by Couragetoday »

Putting on fresh clean and still warm pyjamas from the dryer.

CTs
trying2process

Post by trying2process »

-Journaling really helps me process emotions and cope with anxiety.
-Guided Meditation
-Essential oils like Lavender & Chamomile
-Warm herbal tea
Last edited by Serenity on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
1000miles

Post by 1000miles »

Child me likes:

Singing. Playing keyboards.

Whittling (thanks to Xanthia for this suggestion).

Watching children's television programs.

Watching comedy/variety shows (we love old episodes of The Carol Burnett Show)

Being held, physically comforted, having his back stroked lovingly by adult me. (I've found I can do this in my mind in any circumstance when he feels afraid or upset, and it helps him to feel calmer and protected. I tend to combine it with other items on this list.)

Comfort food.

Adult me likes:

Light physical exercise, like taking a walk.

Holding, physically comforting, lovingly stroking the back of child me in my mind. The sensation of comforting a child is very calming to adult me.

Going somewhere I'm around strangers, especially some place that feels kind of festive. For example, taking a walk in the mall.

Sometimes just getting out of my routine and into any unfamiliar surroundings (provided they feel safe) is wonderfully distracting.

Listening to music.

Watching a film that engrosses me, provided it ends positively and feels uplifting. I tend to stick to films I've seen before and which feel like they would be comforting to watch.

1000miles
Shine

Post by Shine »

There is a really good website called Positive Outcomes for dissociative survivors and a couple of weeks ago I ordered some mantra cards specifically designed for grounding. I've used them a few times already and they are great. If you google PODS mantra cards you will find them. I've copied the description below.

'This set of 24 images on 12 double-sided cards, in their own handy case, are designed to help trauma survivors ground themselves before, during or after a flashback or being triggered. They can also be used during psychotherapy or counselling sessions.

Examples include:
I’ve been triggered, but I’m safe. I’ve been reminded, but I’m safe. I’m on alert, but I’m safe.
It’s not happening now. It feels like it is in my brain, but that’s just my smoke detector having a false alarm.
That was then, this is now. I was hurt then, but I’m not going to be hurt now.
Everything feels hopeless now. Everything feels dark. But it will pass. I’ve felt hopeless and dark before, yet I survived. I’ll survive this time too.
Each card is credit card sized and is printed in full colour on both sides.'