What does your username represent?

Games and fun things to talk about.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Crow

What does your username represent?

Post by Crow »

Hi everyone,

Thought this might be a fun thread. It's quite simple.
So, if you are happy to share what made you pick your username then go ahead!

I'll start...

I chose Crow because I love crows! There is a story attached to it though.
My family (wife and two children) regularly go to a local pond (large pond) with woods surrounding it to watch the birds and waterfowl, and to feed them - not bread because it is not nutritious and it can cause growth defects in young birds.
We have been going there for many years doing this, and back in the summer of 2018 we began feeding the doves out of our hands and letting them land on our hands, arms and heads.
This sparked something in my children and they started wanting to 'hand feed' all sorts of birds, from doves to ducks and even swans. One day my son managed to get a moorhen to feed out of his hand! It made me think about the crows... there are loads of crows, rooks and jackdaws at this place. Crows are very intelligent. Possibly one of the most intelligent animal species there is.
It took a year of trying, being patient and lots of determination, but on Christmas Eve 2019 I finally managed to get a Carrion Crow to eat food out of my hand! It stood on the fence and repeatedly took food out of my hand. It was such a beautiful moment that took me somewhere else entirely. What an experience! (I also captured the moment on video too.)

Crows remember faces. They remember who has been nice to them and who has been unkind to them. Better still, they go and tell other crows who somehow then know too, and this will determine whether they deem you safe or not when they next encounter you! Amazing.

So, crows are intelligent, they are also playful, and they can work out who is safe or not. I like to think that I am similar... well at least on two of those points.

Simply put, I chose Crow because they are beautiful and clever birds.

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
there

Re: What does your username represent?

Post by there »

Crow,
I love that!

I chose my screen name, "there" without that much thought. I guess partly I was thinking of healing a as a process or journey, and at some indeterminate point, I'd be "there".
It was an affirmation of the sort that declares its hope as already being a reality. Saying, "I am there," affirms my reaching a goal.
It also represents the reassurance, "I am there for you", said to anyone, including me.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi there,

I really like that. I'd never thought of your name in that sense...
there wrote: ↑Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:39 pm Saying, "I am there," affirms my reaching a goal.
It also represents the reassurance, "I am there for you", said to anyone, including me.
I'll always think of that when I see your name :)

Crow
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

Hey, my name is sort of nostalgic. Coconut scent is a scent that reminds me of the beach and the ocean, which is a place I find my calm. Most of the lotions I mention using as a grounding tool have coconut scent.

Also if you learn about coconut seed dispersal I think it fitting. Coconut seeds use the ocean to disperse them. They drop their seeds and then when the tide comes in it carries the seed away. Not many seeds can handle being in salt water. It is an environment that would kill most seeds. However, coconuts have protections against this and instead use the ocean to carry them far away from their source to grow into a strong tree in a new place.
This i feel relates as well. No salty brine can destroy me. No tumultuous ocean waves. Instead I have weathered the storm and the the toxic salt and am trying to grow into something tall and strong far away from my beginnings.

Coconuts
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hey Coconuts,

I love that! Very fitting indeed. I didn't know that about coconuts either, so I have learned something else tonight.

I like that this is giving a little bit of insight into each other :)

Crow
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

I have a friend who has a cat named Squiggy. The cat was named after the TV character, and I took my handle after the cat.
Kokoschka

Post by Kokoschka »

Coconuts and Crow - the stories behind your names are beautiful and so inspiringπŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

There's no special story behind mine though. Kokoschka is one of the various terms of endearment l have for Coco, our sweet and beautiful snow-white female cat.😺
..but god bless the child that's got his own... (Billie Holiday)
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Squiggy,

I'd never heard of the name Squiggy before and had no idea that it was a TV character!

Crow
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Kokoschka,

Simple but effective! I'm liking the cat theme (I do like cats).

I was concerned that people wouldn't respond to this because I know what it can be like picking usernames and such... not everyone has a particular reason behind their choices. But so far so good. :)

Crow
dancingfish

Post by dancingfish »

Aw I like this thread a lot - good thinking, Crow! I'd often wondered about some but never thought to ask. How wonderful they all are though. :D

Mine's a bit simple - just asked my mind to think of something, and this came up. I liked the idea of a small fish in water, that's free and dancing just because it can. I'm not a particularly good swimmer despite liking it, and find deep water unnerving, but fish are just fine in water. If you're a fish then that unsafe space becomes a world you're so perfectly fine in you can just be dancing.

Think it also links to a dream I once had, some sort of horrible escape/journey/stuckness one, but this small bright fish kept catching up with me. I had such a strong sense of the love, hope and possibility that came from this little fish that I still remember it now years later. I'd like to feel that myself some day, not in a dream. :)