What I love and don't quite trust about Pete Walkers book COMPLEX PTSD from surviving to thriving

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Xanthia, Jonesy

Jitterbug

Re: What I love and don't quite trust about Pete Walkers book COMPLEX PTSD from surviving to thriving

Post by Jitterbug » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Hello dancingfish,

Lovely to see your name appear. I found your post very moving. That kind of thoughtfulness, sensitivity and solidarity is what makes this site and the people here contributing so precious. Thank you.

Dear EH,

Your posts resonate so strongly for me. In particular your observations about the unhelpful appropriation of techniques not suited to your needs and their harm within a long period of therapy - that really struck a chord. I am so sorry that that relationship was so repressive and caused you so much toxic pain, shame, anxiety and self doubt. It has sparked more than a few uncomfortable realisations about my own 11 year therapy. So much of what you said about your experience rang true for me. Not all, but I definitely need to reflect of this some more. Really really happy to read you are feeling in a much better space, having found some much better suited therapy! (((( EH ))))

Hello everyone else
Every contribution from each individual in this thread has been immensely helpful and validating. Thank you all for that. I want to engage more, but it's a little like wading thru treacle over here, ( :roll: ) so I am very grateful for all your combined sensitive articulacy and clarity. x

With much much warm caring,

Jitterbug

there

Re: What I love and don't quite trust about Pete Walkers book COMPLEX PTSD from surviving to thriving

Post by there » Sat May 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Wow!
I've arrived late to this discussion, or maybe there's no time limit.
I read some of what's published on Pete Walker's website after somebody from here told me they were reading his book.
My most recent and (mostly decent) T did tell me I have cPTSD. She's an LicSW, not a psychiatrist. Honestly, in my experience, to some extent, the higher up the academic qualifications go, the more distance from the truth of survivor's lives.
I'll give him some credit for being a survivor of abuse and from that, trying to help anyone .
I've experienced a LoT of abuse from 'mental health professionals' who generously donated to my cPTSD storehouse. :lol: And that's a mark of my healing that I can laugh at some of the painful wounds. The wounds or inflicted were inflicted through systematic Power over tactics, including social isolation, denial of my stated truth, denial of my abilities personhood, to name a few.
What's important to me now is recognizing and building my own authority in my life, of my life and my truth.
It seems Pete Walker could have used more truth in his book. For instance, he could have, if you didn't, stated that his book book has inherent limitations, and reflects his own particular experience of abuse.
What I hear in this thread is that Pete Walker, and unnamed other 'mental health professionals' further abuse survivors by exploiting them. They exploit survivors through something like a form of cultural appropriation.
Another thing that I won't get into too much, is that I live in a place where Dr.Judith Herman, and Dr. Besser van der Kolk instituted their work. Through programs started by them and based on their work, I've had both services and disservices.
Reach for the stars. ---Christa McAuliffe