The Tao of Fully Feeling by Pete Walker

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Starfish

The Tao of Fully Feeling by Pete Walker

Post by Starfish »

Just started reading Tao of Fully Feeling.... i will go out in my day with these encouraging words from the book(pg 5):
Published by Azure Coyote 1995

"We can stop the mindless running. Experiences of peace and contentment underlie our undigested feelings. We can learn to safely feel and express all our emotions, and discover the deep comfort of full, undistracted inhabitancy of our bodies. We can be transformed from "human doings" back into human beings.

I find this very comforting today as I try to stay with myself and what I am feeling rather than "going off" into addictive and co-dependant survival, avoidant behaviors.

Pete Walker is saving my butt in his other book about cptsd and now I am ready to go to another level of "non-running" behavior.
Last edited by Xanthia on Tue May 26, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added publishing details
Starfish
hummingbird

Re: The Tao of Fully Feeling by Pete Walker

Post by hummingbird »

So grateful for Pete Walker and his books! I'm glad you're helped by his works too, Starfish. It's so good that someone gets it and has guidance how to work through it.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

amen to that, hummingbird!
Starfish
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I got "wowed" by this quote from Stephen Levine in the The Tao of Feeling (pg 8):

"Death is not the tragedy, but the ten million times we deaden and close our hearts because experience doesn't reflect what we consiser acceptable"

I am learning that I need to accept and embrace this journey of healing .... rather than fighting it and judging it. In so doing,it is a tiny bit easier to deal with what the ever-changing moments are bringing up as I allow myself to stay present and feel my feelings.
Starfish