Betrayal Trauma--the Logic of Forgetting Childhood Abuse

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Jane

Betrayal Trauma--the Logic of Forgetting Childhood Abuse

Post by Jane »

by Jennifer Freyd

This book answers vital questions about recovered memories of childhood sexual abuse.

How can the huge betrayal of sexual abuse remain hidden in the back corners of someone’s psyche for years and years? Can we really believe a memory that was hidden so long?

Betrayal Trauma provides sensible answers to these questions. Freyd explains that forgetting is useful to the child because it enables her to remain in contact with the family that is essential for her survival. The closer the relationship with the abuser, the more important it is to forget the abuse in order to keep that relationship working, problematic though it is.

Freyd even found data showing that kids whose abuse was reported to authorities often forgot it for years, and the closer the relationship to the abuser (father vs. cousin, for example), the more likely the forgetting.

Isn't that stunning? Yet it makes total sense. The child has to keep eating breakfast every morning opposite her perpetrator and relying on him for food, learning, and even love. Forgetting is a survival mechanism.
Jane R
HealingHearts

Re: Betrayal Trauma--the Logic of Forgetting Childhood Abuse

Post by HealingHearts »

I loved this book. It helped me so much in understanding how I could block this out for so long. It helped me feel "sane" because it explained that when children are betrayed by caregivers they are pretty much helpless and thus blocking out such horrors is the only way for a little one to cope and even survive.

I think I will re-read portions of the book again.

Thanks for sharing!

(name removed)
Last edited by Jonesy on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT and removed name for privacy
Together we are stronger...