The Courage to Heal

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Chiquitta

The Courage to Heal

Post by Chiquitta »

Hello everyone!,
The courage to heal is by 2 ladies; it comes in 2 parts
No tears for my father is by viga boland

Thanks and take care.
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: changed text to sentence case to avoid 'yelling'
Jane

Re: The Courage to Heal

Post by Jane »

The Courage to Heal is a classic, kind of the textbook for healing from abuse. The different chapters are clearly laid out and provide a lot of clues for the journey.

However, as a survivor with unclear memories, I found the book intimidating at first, because so many of the questions and things to work on assumed that you would have clear memories. The newer edition is better in that it includes mentions of forgetting and somewhat incorporates repressed and recovered memories.

We need all the resources we can get!
Jane R
Chiquitta

Post by Chiquitta »

Thanks for your comments.
Shapeshifter

Post by Shapeshifter »

I found The Courage to Heal to be useful because I didn't have access to counseling, and I was at a point in my journey where I needed help in working through some things. It isn't designed to replace therapy, but to those of us who are so broken that we aren't in a position to be able to afford such luxuries, its workbook format gives a sense of positive action that is cathartic. Not quite a two-way conversation, but the next best thing.