annie rogers/a shining affliction

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

HealingHearts

Re: annie rogers/a shining affliction

Post by HealingHearts »

(((Turtle)))
I am 50 too and I have brought Sir Isaac, my ninja bat, to T!!! After reading the book, I would like to bring Isha, my pillow pet sometime. I would like to lay down with my blankie on the couch and I want to sit on the floor and in the corner. I want to look at all the books on the shelf. I want to sit and color. I want to make a box, all decorated pretty for all my Journals and art work to keep in Ts office. I wish she had the big bean bag chairs you see in malls. (Glimmer and the littles would LOVE that!) I wish we could go outside sometimes too. I wish we did not have to work and we could just be little... sigh...

I love the quote you sited about Melanie it made me think of El when I read it!

HH
Together we are stronger...
turtle

Post by turtle »

HH, :geek: My bud, I am so taking my bear to next T session!!!! :D ~turtle
Something woke up in me that day and I realized I had to come out of my shell...and live to my full potential.
tommy

Post by tommy »

I will join you all in reading this book as it sounds like it has been a helpful resource. Thank you for your discussion and comments.

I have added a few minor post edits to assist with our guidelines regarding quoting material. I have posted the referenced forum guideline section below and I hope the edits made have not changed the flow of your conversation.
Quoting Material
Please keep copyright restrictions in mind when making any references to books, songs, articles, poetry or other pieces of material. Share only references or brief quotes that qualify under copyright and fair use laws. Limit your brief quotation to the minimum necessary to make your point and always include the author, title and page reference so that those interested can read an excerpt in it's full context if they choose.
-Forum Guidelines (http://www.isurvive.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2887)
(I'm smiling about all the soft critters going to T with everyone.)
el

Post by el »

thanks everyone, your words have been very helpful and validating. i am really glad that Blumenfeld stays so good and understanding and safe. it would have been very scary if he did not. HH - I am really glad that things are going so well with your current T.

turtle - thank you for that quote from the book. it is extremely validating to read. and sad, that it happened to Annie and to me and to you and to so many of us. that she describes it as a rather common story. it is unfortunate that we need to expose ourselves to this risk in order to heal.

a lot of things in this book are resonating for me. how my disagreeing with my t got labeled 'resistance'. i told her that could be a very dangerous thing to do to a client, it can take away their voice, reduce someone who is an adult to a disagreeable and powerless child who shouldn't be allowed to make the big grownup decisions for themselves. she didn't have much of a response to that.

and the idea that a therapist knows better what would be best for a client. "I don't lead my clients wrong," she told me to explain why I should do something that didn't feel right to me. which seems to translate into "I don't EVER lead my clients wrong." which seems like another dangerous thing for a therapist to say. it sounds like "I am always right," or "I am 100% right and you are 100% wrong." which probably can't be true.

and for the record i think the world might be a better place if adults carried stuffed animals around with them.
Last edited by ajei on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed tigger from MT to NT
(member since July 2008)
turtle

Post by turtle »

Jonesy,
Thanks for fixing my quotes for me. Also I'm sorry I don't know which page numbers the quotes come from because my Kindle doesn't tell me....or I don't know how on Kindle to tell the page numbers. I certainly don't want to break any rules. Glad you're coming on board and reading the book too. It's fun having a book club online!!!
~turtle
Something woke up in me that day and I realized I had to come out of my shell...and live to my full potential.
HealingHearts

Post by HealingHearts »

Yeeeeaaaahhhh

Jonesy and Tommy are reading, A Shining Affliction, by Annie Rogers too!

Thanks for the information on quoting text Tommy.

I agree with El -- The world would be a better place if all adults carried stuffies with them. I have a secret! I have miniature ninja bats in on my desk and in my briefcase :lol: :lol: :lol: Stuffies in the briefcase. Is very funny we think.

HH
mercurial rivers

Post by mercurial rivers »

hh n others

wrote a nice post but lost it.....havn trouble w/the colours things...then we tried doin a "draft" but dont kno where it went/is....

just HATE bein new n ignorant.....we dont have much of a frustration tolerance....ugh

but we'll learn

but u missed a GRT post.....

glad more are reading....we have things to say bout ninja bats n other stuffies/selfves-care n "groan-up" facades behind which others play, cry, talk, etc

we'll come bak...goin to the cafe fer dinner....anyone wanna join?

[ this fer you hh......mebbe "ninja bat" was used by the mets on mr buckner.....hahaha ]

latr.................

m/rivers
HealingHearts

Post by HealingHearts »

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: That must be it! Ninja bat attack!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
HealingHearts

Post by HealingHearts »

I am in bed re-reading parts of the book. This quote made me think of El. And it made me think of me and being shattered by TheMother's "Love"
The woman who was my therapist, she won't see me, not ever again.
"She has abandoned you," Blumenfeld says simply.
"No, she loved me," I argue, swallowing hard.
"Love? What is love then?" he asks.
The room tilts, as if a huge wave hit us. "I don't know. I don't know what love is, of what is real anymore."
"How could you possibly know?" he asks.
His words come to me, like my own unspoken thoughts. I am dizzy and then flooded with relief."
We enter a long silence. He waits, as though he is waiting for himself.
"Your are shattered," he says finally. I nod. "When you came in the room I sensed the little pieces, but I was afraid to address them. I didn't want to injure them with my clumsiness."
"The little pieces," I repeat quietly.
"Yes, the little ones who came to see me."
I suddenly have the sense that I am all there, if in pieces, at least all there.
As I get up to leave, he asks, "When would the little pieces like to come back?"
"Tomorrow?" I ask so softly, he asks me to repeat it.
"Good, tomorrow," he says.
A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy, by Annie Rogers, 1996, Penguin Books Page 124
I think this is so beautiful -- fragile pieces of a human being treated with such care, love, and kindness.
mercurial rivers

Post by mercurial rivers »

that was VERY hard to read the first time, just yesterday

it is just as hard to read it now...........

devastating/butiful/soulful/devastating

this is a word-picture of a broken heart[s]

</3

devastatingly sad

our heart[s] ache...............