The Heart Too Long Suppressed - Carol Hebald

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Sir Cary

The Heart Too Long Suppressed - Carol Hebald

Post by Sir Cary »

Hi SD,

I just finished reading an interesting book that I think you would like. The title is The Heart Too Long Suppressed and the author is Carol Hebald. The book is a memoir and the introduction is by Thomas Szasz.

The book is all about a personal struggle to overcome the effects of child abuse and the harm caused by mental-health professionals.

As I was reading, I saw the central message: When others treat as badly as we grow up, we learn to treat ourselves badly. It is absolutely vital to claim or reclaim our voice so that we can throw off the labels that others have thrust upon us. Our healing is all about becoming who we were always meant to be.

This is so true. As I have healed, I have reclaimed my voice, I no longer see myself in a harsh light. I really like myself now. I'm definitely OK.

This book is really a message of hope. Healing is eminently doable.

:)

Cary
SparklingDawn

Re: For SD: An Interesting Book I Just Read

Post by SparklingDawn »

Hey there, Sir Cary.....

I can't wait to read it..... :D

Love,
D
Last edited by SparklingDawn on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Cary

Post by Sir Cary »

Reading quantum physics for fun...hmmm, yes you sound like someone I can relate to!

I also just finished a book about the geology of Yellowstone country. My training was in biology, but I do love to learn about geology. If you ever get a chance, do go to Yellowstone National Park and also take a drive on the Beartooth Highway. It is beautiful country.

It is so wonderful to read that so many things are falling into place for you. As I see it, it is always time to learn something new.

You will get where you want to be, my friend.

It's just like the words from a song called "Garden Party."

"But it's all right now
I learned my lesson well
(see you) can't please everyone so you
got to please yourself..."

Cary
SparklingDawn

Post by SparklingDawn »

I remember the song......Ricky Nelson sang it, if I recall........very mellow song.

By the way, Barnes & Noble can't get the book; says out of print. However, I did manage to order a used copy from a seller they recommended. Can't wait to read it.

:D
Last edited by SparklingDawn on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abusewarrior

Post by abusewarrior »

Sparkly,
After you get to know the mechanics, this is an excellent book on the application of it by our own minds....

Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness by Rosenblum and Kuttner

Also, thank for the recommendation, Sir Cary, always loooking for new reads. Found it on ebay, good karma.

AbuseWarrior
SparklingDawn

Post by SparklingDawn »

Hey, AW!.....

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be looking for that book at my library. If it's not there, I'll try to find it at a book store.

D
Last edited by SparklingDawn on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SparklingDawn

Post by SparklingDawn »

Hi, AW....

Just an update. My library doesn't have a copy of the book you recommended. However, I found it on Barnes and Noble website..... :D
Last edited by SparklingDawn on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SparklingDawn

Post by SparklingDawn »

Hey, Cary!

Just an update. So excited that the book you recommended has been shipped and is on its way to me!

I'll let you know when I get it and have read a bit.

Again, I really appreciate the suggestion.

D
SparklingDawn

Post by SparklingDawn »

Hi, Sir Cary......

Wanted to let you know that the only reason I haven't yet posted about this book is because I haven't received it.

Warmly,
D
Last edited by SparklingDawn on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SparklingDawn

Post by SparklingDawn »

Bumping for Sir Cary.