How different life is now

This is a place for old members to come and share how their healing journeys have progressed.
Its also a place for those members to reconnect and share their experiences.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

Faith

How different life is now

Post by Faith »

Hi, all.

Lego posted the following on the welcome thread:
Might put up a post about the motivation to return, and the oddness of thinking on how different life is now, trying to remember those old days and the dim memory of how HARD it was back then ...but not sure have courage to be the first "more than hello" old timer poster lol. We'll see ... ~ Lego
Great minds think alike! :D

When I think back to 2003 (yes, I am an "ancient timer" :lol: ), that person seems nearly unrecognizable. I still have my good traits (compassionate, etc.), but I am such a different version of myself that I only have five people in my life today who were there before therapy. Three of them are local family (child, husband, and father-in-law). One is my sister, who has grown a lot as well. The fifth is my best friend from high school, who has also grown a lot. Both of them live out of state, but we stay in touch.

If you had told me in 2003 that healing would come at the loss of pretty much everyone else in my life, I am not sure I would have had the courage to move forward. However, from today's perspective, I simply outgrew those people. As I have grown healthier, I have attracted much healthier people. Why would I want to twist myself into a pretzel not to "upset" one of my "older" friends when I can hang out with one of my "newer" friends with no drama while simply being myself?

In 2003, I was experienc nightly flashbacks and staying triggered 24/7. My T assured me that I would likely continue to recover memories for the rest of my life, but it would trickle down to one every so many months or years, and triggers would only affect me for hours or days versus weeks. I didn't believe him at the time, but he was right! For the last few years, I have recovered 2-3 new memories a year, and I generally work through triggers quickly. Most of the time, I tell myself, "I'm triggered, and that's OK." I am OK just to "be" with the trigger until it passes.

Dec 2011 was a huge healing experience for me. I have hated Christmas for most of my life (even though I am active in my church) and don't remember any of my Christmases through age 23. In December, I recovered the memory telling me why, and it was one of my most horrifying memories to-date (and that's saying something! :( )

This time, I did something completely different. I blogged about it and emailed the information to a friend. Beyond that, I did not talk about it or analyze it. I holed up at home for a couple of weeks so I could "be" with the sadness. I laid low because I didn't want anyone to cheer me up or to distract me. I wanted to honor the sadness and let it flow as long as it needed to. I spent ~ 10 days crying a lot and avoiding other people. Then, I woke up one morning and was actually somewhat joyful about Christmas! :)

I am going to try this method again when the next memory surfaces because it was so effective for me. For any of you who knew me then, you'll get what a HUGE change this is for me. I always wanted to control and analyze it all to death. Now, I am OK with just "being." :)
~ Faith

++++

After the rain, the rainbow. ~ Author Unknown
smallgraces

Re: How different life is now

Post by smallgraces »

Hi Faith,
It sounds like you have done such good work. Isn't it great to feel like living and the hard work was worth it?
When I think back on my healing journey I remember how alone I really was and how incredibly hard it felt to even breath another minute. I truely never thought I would be alive past 25 yrs, let alone still here at over 40 (not telling how much over), with a husband and children and HAPPY. Yeh there are still things that throw me for a loop. And I know I will always have times that really trigger me like Halloween. But I'm learning to prepare myself for those times. Like "yeah I know Halloween's coming. I need to buckle down and set up my safety nets. Schedule more therapy. Lighten my work load. Avoid things that tend to freak me out and get involved in the fun that can be part of this crappy time of year."
For the first time in,hmmmm forever, I took a summer off from therapy. Both my T and I were nervous. But it went incredibly well. I used the tools I learned from her. I made sure to pay attention to the different parts of myself and make sure they had the opportunity to do things they enjoyed. The time I would normally have spent in T that summer I spent doing things just for myselves and I. I came out of the summer feeling stronger and ready to dig in deep.
The best part is there are times a find real periods of happiness. I never in my wildest dreams thought that would ever happen.
I can't wait to see what else healing can bring. And to hear from us other Old Timers their stories on how they got there.

Peace,
smallgraces
in time...everything will be ok
member since November 2009
Faith

Post by Faith »

Hi, smallgraces.

Yes, I agree that the happiness was the unexpected part. My goal was simply the relief from pain. I didn't realize that you cannot shut off the "bad" feelings without also shutting off the "good" feelings. What a blessing to experience true joy!
~ Faith

++++

damagedplum

Post by damagedplum »

faith, thank you so much for sharing. i am so glad for this section, it symbolizes hope on so many levels. i personally will be looking in here often...
Truth teller

Post by Truth teller »

I just returned from a weekend reunion with my old school friends. Some of them I had not seen in 40 years. It was awesome to have the gifts of healing on board. I could listen attentively to others. No longer am I just waiting for my turn to speak and dump my pain. I maintained comfortable boundaries with my own stuff and others. I longer over disclose. I am much kinder in how I speak of others. I do less "oneupsmanship" but that is a work in progress. I am a better friend than ever before but still learning. I am not healed, perfect, pain-free but I am getting more in that direction. I am learning to be gentler

thank you therapy and isurvive,
Tt
earthhorse

Post by earthhorse »

Amazing hope you imbue Faith. I am just flabbergasted at how you have managed and healed! To me it seems like a very 'quick 'process.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

Love and power to you!

EH
Last edited by earthhorse on Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One kind word can warm three winter months"
Faith

Post by Faith »

Hi, Earthhorse.

On this side of healing, it seems fast, but I felt every minute of the pain of healing. :?

A wise friend told me that even if it takes five or ten years to heal, it's an investment in the rest of my life. I soooo didn't want to hear it at the time because I wanted the pain to be over NOW, but she was right. I am now reaping the benefit of all of the hard healing work I did. :D
~ Faith

++++

maggiegirl

Post by maggiegirl »

I love hearing older folks talk about how they can just be with others now. I used to not be able to listen. Just like my hair has changed so I need a new haircut - grey hair does make you need a completely different cut- my recovery has changed me into a person who can listen.
Last edited by Jonesy on Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
Magical Thinker

Post by Magical Thinker »

Dear Faith,

You give me hope. It's so good of you to post the changes you went through and the permission you have given yourself to take care of yourself and be with the feelings. I will continue to read this section, especially, when I feel hopeless. Thank you for sharing your healing journey and or being there or those of us who are just beginning--to let us know that growth, change, and happiness are possible.

Thank you, Faith.

Magical Thinker
Faith

Post by Faith »

Hi, Magical Thinker.

I am happy to help! :D

I go through my phases of feeling like I have climbed a mountain and then feeling like I am at the bottom again. However, all I have to do is look back at where I once was to see how far I have come. I love myself consistently and refuse to "own" shame, which are two HUGE areas of healing from when I first started.
~ Faith

++++