Domestic violence

Discussion area for adult survivors who are afraid they might hurt others physically, sexually, emotionally, and/or verbally. Also an area for those who have harmed someone physically, sexually, emotionally, and/or verbally and want to heal. Sexual addiction can also be discussed.

Moderators: Harmony, Aspen, ajei

facingmytruth

Domestic violence

Post by facingmytruth »

is a never ending battle. Long after leaving , the physical and sexual abuse may have stopped, but the effects remain. People can say we were brave , people say we did the right thing, we got away.and yes thats right.but how do you get away from the effects left in our memories? How do we sleep at night without it creaping into our heads? How do we stop it coming into new relationships?
Some days I feel like I'm on top of the world, can beat this, can put all the crap behind me, feel really happy, then it creaps back in, the negative self image repeats all the negative crap in my head,.
Today's been a shit one.the need to feel hurt at myself happened.and I'm not proud.its a vicious circle.
Sometimes I just need this to go.
somewhereinbetween

Re: Domestic violence

Post by somewhereinbetween »

facingmytruth wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:52 pm is a never ending battle. Long after leaving , the physical and sexual abuse may have stopped, but the effects remain. People can say we were brave , people say we did the right thing, we got away. How do we sleep at night without it creaping into our heads?
Some days I feel like I'm on top of the world, can beat this, can put all the crap behind me, feel really happy, then it creaps back in, the negative self image repeats all the negative crap in my head,.

Sometimes I just need this to go.
I so desperately wish I had the answers you are seeking. The idiot in me has always kept some kind of connection with abusers. Much to my own detriment. This is causing me to have to basically walk away from my life to avoid triggers and such. I am in no way suggesting that you do this. It is different for all of us. Have you tried any therapy or looked for a T that would be able to help you learn some healthier ways of dealing with the crappy things coming back into your head? People have told me to just let it go and they dont realize that it's much easier said than done. It's like these things get a hold of you and you have nothing else to fall back on. I truly understand. Keep on trying to stay present. Hugs if that is ok.
somewhereinbetweenlostandfound
"It doesn't get easier, we just get stronger."