Thinking of starting therapy

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Mamallama

Thinking of starting therapy

Post by Mamallama »

I am thinking of starting therapy and going privately but I don’t know if I am ready, I don’t know what I’m lookIng for.

Have you had therapy? Did it help? How many sessions did you have? Was it enough? What model did the therapist use? How long were you in therapy for?

If possible can you PM me for a discussion around this.
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of starting therapy

Post by Harmony »

Dear mamallama,

We don't have pm at isurvive. So I will tell you what finally worked for me after years of false starts. I found a trauma therapist. Mine was a therapist that had been successful for one of my acquaintances who healed her csa. She recommended him and it was worth it. It is not just x number of sessions. Abuse takes time to heal. Do find someone who won't waste your visits. My therapist worked with a timeline of my life. Others do it differently. I found a private group later that helped. I later learned from helpful DBT classes that helped manage some of my PTSD symptoms. This is so individual and you can't rush it.

sending support in finding the right T,
Harmony
Obscure Reference

Re: Thinking of starting therapy

Post by Obscure Reference »

I’ve been in therapy for about ten years now. My therapist uses cognitive behavioral therapy. It’s made me a completely different person. There isn’t really an end date or amount of sessions that’s possible to give. It’s for as long as you need it and the longer you go, the more effective it will be. It’s hard work. A therapist can only guide you and listen and offer advice. If you don’t put effort in, you won’t get anything out of it. I do highly recommend trying it for at least a few sessions. Give it a chance for your own sake. Don’t let the abuse win. You own your mind.
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all