Letting go

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Chessgirl

Re: Letting go

Post by Chessgirl »

Hey honeybera,

I definitely care and am so glad you are doing better. You, as always, sound super busy. Sometimes if it takes me awhile to respond it’s because of an anxiety issue. Sometimes I will read a reply but then I get anxiety when I go to respond so instead I put it away with the intention of coming back soon. Only problem is my forgetfulness is terrible and I do forget sometimes. I need to write everything down literally.

I have to ask what does DS stand for? I forgot. I’m glad you got your game and characters updated. I could see how that would be addicting. I am in recovery for alcoholism. Had several months of sobriety until I relapsed 9 days ago. Been sober 9 days now and really hoping a relapse never ever happens again. It just takes so much out of me and starting sobriety over again from scratch is frustrating. It just sneaks up on me every time.

Your cooking sounds amazing as always. Me partner and I are considering going keto after Easter. I will definitely be referring to some of these recipes you have written down. Thanks again! Hope you continue to feel better and have a nice weekend!
Chessgirl
dancingfish

Post by dancingfish »

Never alone, honeybera! :) Great to hear you're feeling a bit better today. And if I may suggest, you reply or not just as you want to! You get to choose, and this is your thread and your place to be just as you wish. :)

Those cloches sound super by the way - I've been keeping birds off the pots with squares of 1" square wire mesh I'd bent into arches. Sometimes though they find the open ends... :lol:
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

It's 7:20pm and I am pooped! I got a LOT done today! :mrgreen:
dancingfish wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 am Something I tried yesterday, as I surveyed a garden of neglect (it's been winter, but everything is starting to sprout and needs pruning, or new soil, or moving from a bad spot, etc.!), was to go out and not do stuff that "needed" doing, but just something I wanted to do, for me, because I like it. So the tree is not yet pruned, but my herbs I can see from my kitchen window are now tidied up and even re-potted. (I don't care much for repotting, it takes so long and it's so muddy! And then the birds dig up all the new soil! >.<) It was nice to just go out and do things for the sake of enjoyment though, instead of "having" to.
You walked with me today in spirit! I thought of what you said ^^^^^...and it is SO TRUE! "just something I wanted to do, for me, because I like it." I think you really hit on something there! Instead of, "I have to water the yard.", it was more like I wanted to do it. How odd that I'd never noticed that before! How freeing! How liberating!

Oh my. As I am wont to do, I used ol' Merriam-Webster to see if "freeing" and "liberating" were the exact words I wished to use. OMG. "A release from slavery." Both words. Slavery? Really?? "I want to..." rather than "I have to...". That is game-changing! MD died last Sept. She is no longer here (bless her). So who still has me in slavery? Am I just so used to being enslaved by her narcissistic behavior that in her absence I find it necessary to continue her beratement (to scold; rebuke) of me in absentia? How dumb is that!! :roll: I like your idea WAY WAY better!!!!!!! "Just something I wanted to do, for me, because I like it." WOW, dancingfish!!!!!! Slavery to a way of doing things...vs FREEDOM.

And I didn't even work out in the yard much today, but that which I did, I did because I WANTED TO, and that felt wonderful! I had quite a few other things that needed my attention inside today, and I did them, but I can't wait until tomorrow. And almost like in appreciation (?), I saw that a whole slew of plants...
Of all the many nouns referring to a large group of things, one of the most fun is slew, as in "I saw a whole slew of birds in the tree by the river." ... The noun slew, for instance, is from the Irish Gaelic sluagh, meaning "multitude." - Merriam-Webster dictionary
I so love the dictionary!! :mrgreen: Anyway, a whole slew of plants had survived the winter! I still have a yellow strawberry plant, two raspberry plants, two fushia plants, a huge dill plant, thriving Cha Cha chives, and even some oregano...none of which should have survived! But they did, and now I'm up to bat as the caretaker of the garden. I have a GALLON jug of Mor-Bloom (0-10-10) fertilizer (MORE than enough to last for the rest of the season) to add a Tablespoon or two to my filled 2 gallon watering can in a nice, healthy, dilute "tea" solution!!! Those numbers 0-10-10 represent the amount of NPK...Nitrogen, Potash, and Potassium (K). They (in order) tell what each one does to the plants: N = "Up" (green it up/growth), P = "Down" (roots and flowers), and K = "All Around" (general health of the plant). So...NPK = Up, Down, and All Around. So simple, yet so complex.

Chessgirl, DS stands for Dear Son. And he is a dear son, believe me!
Chessgirl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 pm You, as always, sound super busy.
Don't let me fool you! :lol: If staring and/or "planning" got things done, I would have a prize winning garden out there! But as it stands ATM (at the moment), I'm healing up from decades of physical and mental abuse and abusive treatment and much of it is being done through work in the garden and around the house. It can be so satisfying!
Chessgirl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 pm I am in recovery for alcoholism.
I wish you luck with that. ♥Congrats on the 9 days.♥ One day at a time. I'm not a drinker, never have been, but I quit smoking in 1990 and I think that may be pretty tough, too. I was also a friend of Bill W's back in my OA days (1976) so I'm familiar with that program. Anything you wish to write on here (my thread) is fine with me. You write very well. So welcome on here!

If there's any particular "keto" thing you fancy, let me know and I would certainly be happy to guide you along. Keto and intermittent fasting is a true WOE and WOL. (Way of Eating and Way of Life) Have you studied what exactly you want to achieve? The best path to take? Like dancingfish was saying to me, what makes you happiest? What can you stick with most easily? Paleo? Low carb? Carnivore? There's even a thing called Dirty Keto. (Not nearly as racy as it sounds! :lol: ) May I suggest Google-ing "diet doctor" (dot com). It's how I got started. Great recipes on there! The internet can be a wonderful thing. Keep me posted if you'd like. And again - good luck to you. In a nutshell:
A healthy ketogenic diet should consist of about 75% fat, 10-30% protein and no more than 5% or 20 to 50 grams of carbs per day. Focus on high-fat, low-carb foods like eggs, meats, dairy and low-carb vegetables, as well as sugar-free beverages.
You like pizza? Look up Fathead Pizza (Google it). Super easy and SO delicious!! Hormel Pepperoni is ZERO carbs so if you can find it, USE IT! Lots of mozzarella cheese, very little pizza sauce (just enough to taste it), olives are ok, too, and sprinkle with a little onion powder and garlic powder and Italian Seasoning. Makes for a pretty nice pizza! Here are some common favorite fathead pizza toppings:

Pepperoni
Sausage
Canadian (or regular) bacon
Mushrooms
Green peppers
Eating a yummy pizza to your head (or sharing with your partner) :? isn't a really tough diet now, is it! :lol:

Here's another tip: www dot wholesomeyum dot com/recipe-index/ She's pretty good.

Another really good one is: dot2trot dot com Love her videos!!

Another good one: Keto biscuits and sausage gravy. YUM!! And of course, good old bacon and eggs!

Whole new world out there!! Just start looking!

Time for bed! Lots of work ahead of me in the morning!!

Honeybera
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

Hey honeybera,

As for what I want to achieve with the diet...hmmm. I want a diet my fiancé and I can both follow together with recipes we can all eat. He is interested in weight loss but I want overall health and energy. I’d like to keep candida under control which feeds off sugar and yeast. We want more fresh Whole Foods. Anything would be better than what we are eating now. I may start small my just incorporating a few recipes a week.

I figured it was dear son! Thank you for informing me. Yours sounds very sweet! Glad to hear about that garden! Wish I could see for myself! Wishing you a happy weekend :)
Chessgirl
Kokoschka

Post by Kokoschka »

Honeybera,
It's been a while but l'm glad to hear you're doing so good and getting better all the time. Doing things for yourself, the garden and house. Great👏🌝🙏💕💐🌻

Not doing so well myself right now, yeah, so what else is knew🙄🙄🙄

When l go out in the garden tomorrow l will try to remember Dancingfish's and your words/attitude to do things for the fun of it and not as a chore that needs to be done. Just planted some new French geraniums, regular full bloom ones, hanging mini petunias, lobelias and osteospermums.

Wishing you the best, Kokoschka💐🙏🌝👏
..but god bless the child that's got his own... (Billie Holiday)
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Hey Chessgirl! :mrgreen: DS is 34. He used to live on sugar (soft drinks, especially Mt. Dew) and starchy foods (including grains [whole or otherwise], cereals, corn, rice, wheat [in all its forms like breads and pastries and cookies], potatoes, and so on) and lots and lots of fast foods. :roll: So he cut back, began to eat NO sugars or soft drinks, no starchy foods, and he began to eat meat (especially hamburgers with cheese) and peanuts/cashews. He lost LOTS of weight! 280 lbs. down to slightly under 200. He's had to go back to some fast foods lately due to grabbing a quick meal while running to work when called in at the last minute and working overnight on a 12 hour shift, so about 10-15 lbs. have crept back on, but not too bad.

He just came in and read the above and asked if I would share with you guys: NO soft drinks of any kind! Don't drink your calories! Drink plain Water instead, especially ice water. He adds sugar free Mio water enhancer with it sometimes. He's more of a Carnivore diet guy (mostly meats), but will occasionally eat some veggies that I'll make. And he does like my keto style bread. And biscuits...and pepperoni pizza, too, and even some soups.

For me, I've had incredible health benefits, too. I'm the really strict one re: keto. But for me, "eating keto" isn't really important. There's no magic to it. What works is that it's high fat (70-90% fat) and that amount of fat leaves one with a feeling of satiety for a LONG time and enables me to fast for an entire day. Fat does not make someone fat. In fact, fat is the one thing that doesn't spike my insulin levels. Insulin is called the Fat Storage Hormone because its main function is that it stores fat (duh). If I'm eating fat, which metabolizes into ketones (hence "ketogenic" diet or ketone developing) via the liver, and I'm not eating any sugars (glucose) that raises insulin production, then my body sort of eats itself by way of the stored fat on my body...and I lose weight.

Better than me explaining it, let Butter Bob Briggs explain it.

www dot buttermakesyourpantsfalloff dot com

Watch his video. He explains it so well. Just a regular guy, but who has lost 150 lbs. and has kept it off. Wonderful person!

www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=h6aMN6NLOTQ

It's 29 min. long. I consider it time well spent. He has many other videos, too.

===============================(Sat. early am)

We're off to get the dogs today.

===========================( Monday April 5)

OMG! THOSE PUPS ARE THE CUTEST!!!!! Such a good move from me! I actually rode with DS up there to pick them up from the breeder who's about 70 miles to the east of us. Nice to get out of the house for a change and take a nice ride in the countryside. Puppy mill? Not quite, but LOTS of dogs, many in large chicken wire sheds, some running around the house in utter chaos. Twice my arm was scratched to the point of bleeding by excitable dogs vying for my attention. But I can tell you that my pups are well trained, super healthy, and perfect as far as I'm concerned! They're even potty pad trained, love to play/tussle/roughhouse with each other, toys and even my muumuu hem, and are absolutely hilarious to watch. Mittens even throws her head back and howls in a fit of jealousy if Boots is being held ATM. (Grateful, grateful, GRATEFUL!!) Heaven knows that I needed this shot in the arm (not the vaccine...yet) after all the sadness. Nothing like an adorable puppy to cheer one up! :mrgreen:

RIGHT NOW I need to get back out there THIS INSTANT and FINISH tidying up/weed eating the Dog's Yard area which is where they will be restricted to for a while while they get more used to us. They already ADORE DS!! Me? Yeah, me, too. But no more "I'll do it tomorrow". So I'm off to do the final clearing of the weeds so they'll have their own yard and inside pen with a doggy door once we shut both fence gates. We're still introducing them to Spot who's not overwhelmingly fond of anyone but me, so I'm letting her stay in my room for the time being. Both Boots and Mittens jumped and snarled and barked at Spot when they first saw her, so she just turned and walked away from them and back to my room. Typical Spot. :roll: Now she goes just far enough for the pups to NOT see her as she has the run of the house ATM, and already there is no jumping or barking or growling from the pups. I'm sure it'll all be fine in a short time, but no pressure. This house is set up for just this sort of thing. But first...WEED EATING! I have an hour and a half before dark. We've been pulling weeds and sacking them (two HUGE bags so far) most of the afternoon. Spot can stay on the garden side of the fence with me, but I want to get the pups settled in the dog's yard/inside pen ASAP.

Honeybera

PS - I worked last night until I literally couldn't feel my feet and calves anymore. I could barely walk back inside the house. But today after a good rest, I just spent the morning/early afternoon out in the dog's yard (which it really is now!). I got the weeds weed-ate (?) and many things picked up (garbage, glass jars, plastic bits) and DS got both of the gates working again. We closed them and let the pups out to romp and play and explore and be absolutely adorable!! Right now they're sleeping SOUNDLY now and I'm having my OMAD. This is going to be so good for me!! I'm cleaning out their permanent pen and in they'll go, and then clean up and store the temporary pen that they've been cramped up in for the last couple of days. They really needed this all-out rowdy ROMP! And they can now operate the doggy door via the permanent pen and out into the dog's yard. PERFECT!

The dog's yard is about 30'x22', plenty of room to be happy puppies in, enclosed/fenced, and from the last set of Rat Terriers, lots of cement under the fence to avoid all that digging! It has lots of mown (weed eaten) "grass", still some tall weeds to lurk in (deliberately left in place), but NO foxtails or stinging nettles to hurt them and their bare tummies. Tomorrow morning we're going to BEGIN to introduce old patient Spot and the radical and wildly-rambunctious pups. Today she walked into the permanent pen and the pups barked and growled at her from their temporary pen. How did she handle it? She turned her back on them and, with tail and ears UP, walked slowly away out the doggy door and out into the yard. Real chutzpah! Self assurance trumps cute in this instance. Love my old girl! Love my new ladies, too. I wish you could see them. Just to see them makes me smile. So tiny for all that energy. Such rascals!!
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

Hey honeybera,

Thank you for explaining the keto diet a little more for me. That all makes so much sense about fat and how it really doesn’t make someone fat. It might sound gross but I do not drain my hamburger meat when I cook with it. I love healthy fat and read that it is good for you so ever since then, I never drained my beef again. I think my fiancé would be more of a meat guy as well like your DS. I can’t believe how much weight your son was able to lose! That’s amazing. Can’t wait to tell my fiancé about that.

So sweet about the pups. They sound like they have such a happy life! Having a secure fenced in yard is essential. I have an old pit bull who I have had for several years. Before my fiancé and daughter came along, it was just me and her. While it would have been much easier finding affordable housing without her, I stuck it out and kept her. Could only find homes with fenced in back yards which was very difficult but I managed. I knew it was just so important. She’s my old gal. Been there through thick and thin. I’m glad you have a close relationship with your old gal too. Can’t wait to hear more updates on all your furry friends! Nice hearing from you! Reading your posts always brightens up my mood. Thanks honeybera!
Chessgirl
dancingfish

Post by dancingfish »

Hey honeybera! Aw thank you so much for your sweet reply recently, I loved reading it. So glad you're finding more of a sense of freedom in your days - you're quite right I think! We do hold the bonds that bind us in our minds and bodies, but with time and effort they can change. It's really no fault of ours at all though that they're there, it's just how we responded to ridiculous circumstances that were the fault of others. I'm so glad you're finding ever more room for joy in your life, though. :)

And you finally have the puppies!! Ahhhh, how exciting! :D Thank you for your lovely descriptions of them, it all sounds like a blur of love and excitement over there. Aw and Spot, adjusting to these bouncy newcomers too. :D Hope you're enjoying it all, you deserve it! Best wishes and much caring to you now. :)
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Hey Chessgirl and dancingfish!!! :mrgreen: SO NICE to hear from you!!
Chessgirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:09 pm Thank you for explaining the keto diet a little more for me. That all makes so much sense about fat and how it really doesn’t make someone fat.
I could not believe that at first, BUT IT IS TRUE!! I ♥♥♥ fat!! It makes things TASTE so darned good, and come to find out, it's the ONE thing (out of 3: FAT, protein, and carbs) that will NOT spike my blood sugars! HALLELUJAH! :mrgreen: So my (DEEELICIOUS!!!) creamy bulletproof coffees (my favs: Hot Chocolate or Pumpkin Spice) are made with a large dollop of butter and some HWC! I also add in a small spoon of instant coffee (decaf or regular), some sugar free syrup(s) in complimenting flavors, a solid shake of yummy Saigon cinnamon, another shake of Hershey's UNSWEETENED powdered chocolate OR Pumpkin Pie Spice [YUM!!], and a finishing touch of collagen, then "frothed" with one of those little gizmos. You'll never waste $5.00 on Starbuck's again! :lol: And remember: Heavy Whipping Cream (more HWC!!) ON TOP is still on your "diet"! Amazing this WOE. Takes some getting used to. "Butter and HWC in my creamier than creamy coffee, but not too much lettuce in my avocado salad? AND I'LL STILL LOSE WEIGHT??!" Yep. And you'll never starve either!
Chessgirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:09 pm It might sound gross but I do not drain my hamburger meat when I cook with it. I love healthy fat and read that it is good for you so ever since then, I never drained my beef again.
Not gross at all. Like when I make a meatloaf (I'll give you the recipe for the keto breadcrumbs [spices + ground pork rinds: SCRUMPTIOUS!] on the other forum if you wish - all other MEATLOAF ingredients would be the same as you use now, but using low carb Heinz ketchup bought on Netrition dot com and bacon draped across the top), with the "drippings" left over, make a nice gravy with HWC and cream cheese. It actually works! Hamburger meatloaf with maybe Mushroom Gravy (made with the drippings) on top with Cauliflower Mashed...uh, Cauliflower? Oh heck yeah!!! I make it so it TASTES, looks, and has the mouth feel just like well mashed potatoes. I found a place (albeit VERY expensive!) that sells Potato Extract (Amoretti's online) that makes EVERYTHING made of cauliflower taste just like the real deal: potato salad (remember: actual REAL full fat mayonnaise is ok!!), mashed potatoes, even in stews...and they have a corn extract, too. So this stuff you make can be absolutely wonderful with no sacrifice at all. It takes a bit of time to assemble all of this, but I like leftovers, too, and there's always the freezer (soups, waffles, Chaffles, cookies, fat bombs, muffins, and on and on and on...)!!
Chessgirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:09 pm I think my fiancé would be more of a meat guy as well like your DS. I can’t believe how much weight your son was able to lose! That’s amazing. Can’t wait to tell my fiancé about that.
Your fiancé can be served a heavily buttered steak (pan fried? broiled?) topped with mushrooms and/or peppers and/or onions or even oven baked veggies...or a nice piece of salmon with lemon and pepper...or my fav: pork chops including the fat!! Add an avocado salad and some of your homemade mayo (takes about 3-5 minutes to prepare: super easy!), maybe add some herbs or spices? Maybe Faux-tato Salad with bacon? Or a nice homemade soup: Cream of...asparagus, broccoli-cheese, cauliflower-cheese, or chicken taco (some of that corn extract in it?), all meat chili, and so on...recipes for all kinds of soups are online. And for dessert? My favorite is a nice keto pie crust (I use almond flour and butter pressed into a pie pan and bake it) and make a pudding (from Netrition dot com - I can give you the recipe) and make a cream pie. Keeps in the fridge for a week...maybe less? It gets gobbled up before that usually. :lol:

It's HIGH fat (70-90%), LOW carb, and absolutely yummy! Butter Bob Briggs lost his 154 lbs by eating chicken thighs fried in lard from Walmart! And I'm offering you and your fiancé a dinner of steak, soup (from your freezer), a quickie avocado salad (Hidden Valley Ranch dressing powder [Amazon] is ZERO carbs + homemade mayo [ALSO ZERO] is DELICIOUS!) and a big slice of chocolate cream pie (prepared in about 20 minutes)! It's NOT a starvation diet!! No wonder I can go for 24 hours without food without hunger! It takes a bit of change of eating habits and food prep, but it can be done.

All that...and you can still lose weight. No lie! If you think, "Oh my god, we'll gain so much weight eating this way!", remember: fat floats. Take a pat of butter and put it in a glass of water. It literally floats! Same goes for the fat you eat: it floats in your stomach and gives you satiety! You feel full.
• Satiety is the feeling of fullness and the suppression of hunger for a period of time after a meal.
• The feeling of satiety occurs due to a number of bodily signals that begin when a food or drink is consumed and continue as it enters the gut and is digested and absorbed.
• Feelings of satiety can influence how soon and how much you next eat.
• There are several ways you can help yourself feel more satiated after eating, which can help you to manage your appetite and maintain a healthy weight.

- www dot nutrition dot org dot uk dot healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal dot html
Once satiated (and who wouldn't be eating like this?!), I can easily go right to my OMAD (one meal a day) fasting regimen, and it's not difficult to do. And that is precisely how this works and how I've been doing this for the last 3 yrs. I intend to keep on doing this, too. No more lettuce leaves with 1t. of LOW FAT MAYO :x or a ½ cup of baked (in a TON of sugar) beans or a "low fat" corn muffin. Even yogurt: they removed ALL fat (making it "NON FAT") and put in sugar!! I can have FULL fat Greek yogurt, but without any sugar slipped in. As I said before, there are 3 kinds of food: FAT, PROTEIN, AND CARBS. I eat mostly fat, moderate protein (I don't really need a ton of protein, but just some), and the rest is carbs, maybe 20-50 g. of carbs. SUGAR is all carbs, PASTA is all carbs, CORN AND POTATOES are loaded with carbs, and even WHOLE GRAINS (of all kinds!) are loaded with carbs! Beer is just like drinking bread and Coke/Pepsi/whatever-brand-of-soda is like drinking poison. But there are alternatives. They have sugar free Hawaiian Punch (really good!) and mio makes sweet tea that is also really good over lots of ice and water!! Lots and lots of alternatives to explore!! (It's a life style change, NOT a "diet"!)

AND there is exercise. I hate exercise personally! Not much is needed with this WOE. BUT for ME, a totally depressive and sedentary lifestyle is NOT GOOD FOR ME, either!!!! :roll: More on this later. I want to get this reply off to you, Chessgirl, right now. Other stuff I can answer right after my dinner because I'm at hour 25 of what was supposed to be 23 or 24 hours of fasting, so it's TIME to eat! Plus I'm hungry after chores and yard work today. :P Off to cook my pork steak and veggies and eat my half pint of Rebel Orange Cream ice cream which tastes just like an Orange Creamsicle for dessert in the freezer! I ate the other half pint last night and saved this for tonight. Maybe a handful of cashews if I need them, and a piece of my keto toast with lots of butter and with approx. 1t. Almond Butter and a drop of some Maple-Pecan pancake syrup. I already had my Bulletproof coffee today (Pumpkin Spice with a dash of that Maple-Pecan pancake syrup! OMG!) :mrgreen: You can see how it goes. It should take me about 20 min. to make my dinner. It's greatly satisfying and I love to eat this way.

I'm open to any questions you may have.

Be back soon...

Honeybera
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

Honeybera

WOW! Ok I think you have sold me. I’ve been trying to convince my fiancé to do it with me, and he agrees but requests we always put it off to a later date. I think he is really hooked on sugar and carbs and I’m afraid he may not be able to walk away from it! Our 2 year old is hooked on carbs and sugar too! She’s so picky and doesn’t always eat what we put in front of her so when she does actually eat anything I go back to it for her. I’ve gotta make the launch eventually though. I know it is perfect for my family.

That coffee sounds amazing! I’m still going to Starbucks and I know it’s ridiculous every time I go! I’m gonna refer back to your last response and try to get my family on board. I mean you can eat buttery yummy filling meals.... you can’t go wrong with that! What drinks do you drink? Water or any juices or milk?
Chessgirl