Letting go

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

honeybera

Re: Letting go

Post by honeybera »

First off, thank you, coconuts, for reading that entire thing! I like keeping it up on here, all 153 pages of it (so far), sort of like my memoirs, where MD could not touch it nor criticize it. It's like fearless tattling on her to sympathetic ears without interruption or shame = heaven.

Big day tomorrow (and it's already 10:30pm!!) starting with a trip to the vet's for the pups. They need their shots for their dog licenses and to be micro-chipped. They ideally have to be 6 months old before they get chipped. I hope this isn't too big of a deal. I set aside plenty of money for it. This is a new vet. We haven't been to a vet since poor little Butterbutt died at the hands of the last one. These new vets have many 5 star rave reviews on Yelp and are an equal distance from our home. I sure hope we like them and can trust them.

To go there I have to get dressed :roll: and put on shoes and everything, and DS is going to take us in his car, me in the backseat with the terrified dogs. I said that we should take them in the car for "nice rides" with no agenda first, but we just didn't do it. On top of that I believe that they're just coming into their first season. :shock: So tomorrow may be a real adventure for all of us. :lol: I'm not even sure that they'll walk on a leash.

After that I need to take another step towards getting my Real ID. WHAT A HASSLE!! I'm to the point in the process of going to a Notary Public to swear that I am who I am, and then they verify these forms and send it off (fax it) so I can get my birth certificate by snail mail ("in up to a month" is the speed of the process that's promised!), and THEN go to the DMV and get my Real ID and my new driver's license (not a Commercial one) and then go collapse, but the DMV isn't for tomorrow. Just the Notary. I'm a native from my state (which is rare), but I feel more like a foreigner ATM! I have to PROVE who I am, wear a mask, and go through all these very expensive and difficult gyrations just to show them that I'm not a terrorist. It's truly irksome. I'm even needing to get copies of my marriage and DIVORCE papers since my name isn't the same on my birth certificate!! And that's an extra $15 PER NOTARY SIGNATURE! And that's not counting the faxes to be sent! Sheesh!!
coconuts wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:45 am But you have overcome and you can certainly be proud. I'm proud of you.
Same to you and back at ya. It's amazing how we all survived our upbringing.
coconuts wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:45 am You probably reminded her of herself, and it sounds like she hated who she was too. Always feeling inadequate.
That hits the nail on the head! Exactly. I don't think I actually reminded her of her, though, but of what she had gone through and what she was determined to never EVER go through again. And I was unavoidable, up in her face no matter what she did; she was RESPONSIBLE for me; I was her child and she was stuck with me. So she brutalized me. Etc. Etc. Etc.
coconuts wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:45 am I admit my children haven't had the most perfect upbringing.
Who has? But from your writing, you love them dearly, and that always shines through.

OMG, 11:15pm! I need my Get Sleepy app!! That app really, REALLY works! I listened to it last night about the Leaning Tower of Pisa - super fascinating - and conked out in less than 7 minutes. I'll try again tonight. :lol:

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Friday the 13th...

Well, so far, so good. We got the pups over to the vet and now they're all up to date on their vaccines, they weigh in at 11½ lbs. each, and they're micro-chipped. Healthy pups who are glad to be home! It was a chaotic trip to say the least. They caused me to bleed all over my nice blouse due to their squirming and sharp nails and my thin skin, and I even got some on DS's car. He isn't pleased.

Now we're off to the Notary. I got all my paperwork in order (I HOPE!!!) and then it will all be faxed to the birth certificate people and up to our State Capitol for the divorce copy (to show why my name was changed). I just need to change my bloody blouse and go. What a day!

================(SUCCESS!! @ 5PM)

Am I really sure that this is Friday the 13th? (Don't want to jinx it!) Notary all done. Everything either faxed or mailing off. What a bloody hassle!! But now it's just a matter of waiting.

The best part of all of this is how little the entire thing cost me today! I thought the vet was charging me $318.00 for each of the pups, but come to find out that was the entire amount for both of them! Nice savings there!! And the notary and all the faxing, etc. was only $38.00. Cheap enough for me!!

Now DS is off to work and my current job is comforting my wonderful dogs, all three of them, and fixing my own dinner. I do want to get to bed early so I can hit the yard first thing in the morning. The front yard is bringing my property value down. :lol: And I want to finally get to mixing up the potting soil with the chicken manure and filling and also refilling the pots out there. We have super mild winters here and I'd like to have a "winter garden" this year. "Winter" here doesn't mean snow. We never get that here. Just occasional rain and some pretty cold weather during the last two weeks of Dec. and the first two weeks of the new year. Otherwise it's relatively mild.

Boots is outside and is pitifully crying for my attention which I'm about to give her. Spot and Mittens will be ok in here alone for a while.

======================(Sunday 2:30pm)

At last! After a high of 104ºF tomorrow, the next week or so will be "ONLY" in the low 90s!! Yes, I said LOW! Amazing! I'm not even going to try to go out there to do ANY sort of gardening until Tuesday (a mere 93ºF!!!). I can easily do front room clean up and lots of paper sorting. I even have a way to slip behind the tall metal shelving in the computer room to clean and sort that out by working around the roll top desk (the bane of my existence). I'm also considering finding out what's in my closet underneath all the clutter in there. So there's plenty to keep me occupied. Oh, and the garage. But for today the temp is well over 100ºF, the sky is all gray with smoke from the forest fires, and I believe I'll just stay in the house and work inside for the time being. It's so overcast out there that it looks like it might rain, but the air is bone dry. Really weird looking! (Psst! Earthquake weather!!) :roll: And the smoke is making my eyes scratchy feeling and my throat's been sore for a couple of days. Not much fun.

But for right now perhaps a nice nap or at least a lay down would be really satisfying. And I'll send this off.

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

I'm starting to worry about me. I think I may be slipping into Clinical Depression again. All the COVID B.S. and the isolation due to it, MD's death last year, reliving all the brutal abuse she heaped on me, having no family to speak of (except for DS), watching my old dog slowly die in front of me day after day after day and all the heartbreaking care taking that that involves, all the politics on TV and now the tragedy in Afghanistan, plus my own failing health...it's leaving this poor girl very down in the dumps. The loneliness is getting to me and I'm seeing some of the old signs of despair from long ago, like becoming more apathetic by the day. I'm sitting up all night and sleeping all day, struggling to even water my garden (no desire to do so), and even my pups are left by themselves all day long.

I even "cheated" on my keto diet by eating a half a cantaloupe to my head the other day. It was really good though, and super sweet, but all sugar from fruit is fructose (aka "fruit sugar") and is metabolized by the liver only. It's not "high fructose corn syrup" (that's a whole different thing), but the fructose is not good for me. My body has just let me know why! UGH. I'm beginning to crave non-keto foods, like beans and rice. For me, those are no-nos. Even bananas. No raisins in my cooking. No dates either. "Sweets" I can have, as long as they're sugar free and done in moderation. I actually think that I'm allergic to sugar.

I've had a problem with food and compulsive overeating all my life. And this depression now is getting deeper by the day. I honestly don't know what to do about it. I'm even crying again. I haven't cried much in years! I found myself laying on my bed the other day, crying quietly by myself and saying out loud, "I guess I'm just not worth even a phone call from my family members." :cry: DEEEEEEEPRESSING!!!

And I'm losing interest in everything. However, all I want now is more sleep. Heaven help me. Off to bed. I'm falling asleep at the keyboard.

Honeybera
Last edited by Serenity on Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed NT to MT for implied profanity
dancingfish

Post by dancingfish »

Aw honeybera, that is a lot on your shoulders. Was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you're doing (I haven't been posting much recently). It sounds like it's hard anyway and now there's a heap of even more stuff you're having to deal with. Here listening to you, and sending you some virtual care and support. To quote something I watched the other day, you may be on your own at times, but you're not alone. :)
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

Oh honeybera, depression sucks. So many of us know that. I think being aware is really good. I swear it's hard to not be these days and then heap on a helping of past trauma, and being prone to mental illness and its near impossible to escape. My teacher besty came into my room the other day, sat down and cried for an hour. Then shortly after my principal ( boss) came in, plopped into my futon in my class and just let go. He is the energetic guy who is always happy and positive and making jokes. He has previously mentioned to me that he doesnt understand mental illness that well because he had never suffered with it. But that he had compassion. So he plops down and says he thinks he is depressed for the first time in his life. Let's out a big sigh and tells me that for the first time he is not excited to come back to school. That he is tired and just sort if dragging himself along. Unmotivated and .... i just sat and listened. Its sad for me to see even the strongest and happiest people being dragged down by this.
Im sorry you are struggling. It sucks. Depression just sucks. But please know you deserve all the goodness in the world. You have done amazing things. Sometimes when I'm sinking i have to write a list of the absolute good things about me or my life. I need to read it. To hold on. Sometimes i have to work my hiney off to just accomplish one thing. But it's worth it to fight thru it. Listening and caring
Coconuts
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
Progress

Post by Progress »

Oh Honeybera,
I’m so sorry you are feeling this way. It all sounds like such a crushing weight on your shoulders. Depression is so awful, sapping the joy from everything. I hope you are able to get the help you need. As sad as I am to hear about your poor pup, I do enjoy reading about your pups and your garden.

You aren’t alone. So many people here care so much about you. I care. Ugh, I wish I had a magic wand that could make your depression disappear. Depression sucks so bad.

Please take care and keep us posted if you would like to,
Progress
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

dancingfish wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:34 pm you may be on your own at times, but you're not alone. :)
Thank you so much for that, dancingfish! That really helped. I can make that thought work so much to get me past this. I feel so bad thinking of those people in Afghanistan facing what they're facing, especially when comparing their woes with mine. Why am I whining when they're facing horrible death for not only themselves, but for their entire families, too? I sit here and play my videogames and write to all of you, plenty of food, plenty of money, owning my own home, FREEDOM to do whatever I wish...but then I see that old bugaboo of clinical depression symptoms raising up no matter what I do and it concerns me. I do feel it. It is there inside me, despite Afghanistan and their sufferings and fears when compared to mine. I need to address it and OVERCOME it. Seriously!

I've been through this and worse before. At 19, I could not even raise myself off the couch to make it past the end of my coffee table (= NO ENERGY!!), but the worst part was that I didn't understand it then and thought I was "going crazy", nor was there anyone else who understood it as what it was (in 1965), much less help me cope with what I'd been through. I sort of grew up in the same timeline as Psychology did. I saw a T of the day in 1965 who told me to just go home and clean my house and to "love my husband more". :roll: I was "eating" so much, more like stuffing myself literally, that I began a short time of binge eating and then vomiting, or I'd eat until near vomiting, stop, and wait until just short of that and then stuff some more food down. I was finally "free" of MD (physically, but certainly NOT mentally!) and could eat without restraint or criticism of any kind for the first time in my life. I went wild with it. I stayed locked up in my one bedroom apt. with my DH who worked, but I didn't. I didn't bathe, brush my teeth, or even comb my waist length hair for months on end. I had dreadlocks...unintentionally. Instead of combing/brushing out my long hair when help finally arrived, it had to be cut short. On top of this, I had two small kittens living with us with an incredibly full and overflowing cat box. One night for no reason, I tried to slowly squeeze one to death once as it fought mightily to get away and scratched me up and bit me. I recall it now as though it was a slow motion bad dream. I felt nothing when I did that. I was like a zombie. I didn't know how to dress myself in my own clothes (don't ask me why), so I wore my husband's clothes. I slept while he worked and stayed up all night playing Yahtzee by myself when he was home, rolling those dice over and over and over again at the kitchen table. We had dishes in the sink and pots on the stove all with maggots in them. Everything in the fridge was rotten. I don't remember how we even ate. (Take out?) That was my "clinical depression". It was a doozie!

Ugh. What memories. But so much has changed since "the good old days". Now I have something that occupies my mind (my iPhone and my computer, Netflix and cable TV, my garden and cooking). I have money. Not a lot, but enough. That makes such a difference. On my two decades on AFDC (aka Welfare a la the Lyndon B. Johnson administration's War on Poverty, a real trap for someone like me), I ran my entire single parent household on a couple hundred dollars a month: food, shelter, medical, the works. From 1967-1988, we lived hand to mouth. Once we were homeless. We stayed in a roach and vermin infested shelter for several weeks. It's where I learned the Spanish word for rat and mouse (raton and ratontito, respectively) as we chased them down the hallway with brooms, batting and screaming at them all the way. (It was like after dinner recreation/entertainment for us adults and some of the kids.) Someone ransacked my car for valuables and stole my kids toys. (Luckily, I had put my money in my trash filled car in an old Pringles potato chip can thrown onto the floor in the midst of all the other garbage and the thieves never checked it. :roll: Afterwards, I always kept what little money I had in my bra and not in the car. I slept in my bra, too, just in case.) Lovely place. :x And they "required" me to fork over my Welfare check to them for the month for a two week stay (which they extended to 3 wks. out of the kindness of their hearts :roll: ) and were about to take my kids away to foster homes since I was then homeless AND penniless!

Yes, we've been through it. I was also attending full time college classes at the time. :roll: After the battered women's shelter, we even stayed at a vermin infested motel (with kitchenette! La dee dah! we could hear the rats/mice munching on our breakfast cereal in the cupboard...ICK!) that was so close to the railroad tracks that the entire room shook and the dresser mirror swung back and forth wildly when a train rumbled by! MD LOANED me the money so my kids didn't go to foster homes (which would've looked bad on her if she hadn't, so she grudgingly did). Eventually I got "lucky" again and found a subsidized, newly refurbished 3bdrm/1½ba condo style 2 story apartment in the Projects for an average of $51/mo. We lived there for over two decades. We were SUPER grateful for the place to live, but that's also where the residents came by as we attempted to move in and spat on us and our things, saying, "WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND HERE!" I was 31, my son was 11, and my DD was nearly 2, and we were all alone. But even this was better than my bout with Clinical Depression. That was even more brutal than this move was for me. However, in this apt. I began my panic attacks and somehow learned to overcome them with what is now known as relaxation techniques/mediation. Remember: no computers! No internet. No self help books. NO NOTHING to guide me through it.

Over the years I learned how to cope with the bad times. But to see the old thoughts/apathy begin to creep back in does bother me. So to offset those bad thoughts, etc., I decided to try to do more each day for me. I just ordered a new carpet shampooer so I can clean my carpets and have a better feel to them under my bare feet. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it means a lot to me. Between two unhousebroken pups that sneak a poop or pee in my room, or even the front room, when I'm not looking plus a senior dog who sees that as "marking" their territory and feels a need to mark it, too, my bedroom carpet (and the one in the front room, too) is a real mess. It feels ugly under my feet, so I decided enough is enough and bought the Hoover. My kitchen is clean, though, and I have just received my new "winter garden" seeds and the temps are coming down (after Tues into the low 90s, which is doable for me). :mrgreen:

================(Well, today is Tuesday...and all is well)

I GOT AN UNEXPECTED PHONE CALL TODAY! It was from my dog breeder ("CD") who got a message from me on Facebook. She didn't recognize my icon and thought my identity had been stolen and wanted to give me a heads up. I reassured her that it was me...and then we began to talk...and talk and talk. :lol: It seems that she's as lonely as I am because she just moved out of state and knows no one around her ATM. She misses her mountain home/acreage in this state very much, but her children are insistent that she stay put nearer to them in a much smaller home on a cul-de-sac with a mere ½ acre and 16 less dogs. She is lonely and miserable about it. She is also "feeling very old" in her mid-60s. Wow. I was still driving a 40 ft. transit bus when I was her age! (Whippersnapper!!) :mrgreen: We have agreed to talk to one another more often now. Win-win for both of us. Plus my dear cousin B (another female) and I are speaking to one another now and my cousin R (male) is always supportive and open to whatever support is needed. I AM BLESSED!
Progress wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:14 am Oh Honeybera,
I’m so sorry you are feeling this way. It all sounds like such a crushing weight on your shoulders...Please take care and keep us posted if you would like to
It was bad, but just as the old saying goes, "This too shall pass." That thought, that idea, has helped me through this current flash from the past, and it's exactly what I did NOT have back when I was only 19, nor did I have the outreach that is available to me now, like hotlines. There were no videogames or cell phones to hide away in, only that damned Yahtzee dice game that I played by myself night after night after night all night long. Nor did I have all of you and your kind words. No, I am truly blessed now with both understanding of what was happening to me AND the thought that it would have an end to it. That I can live with!! ;)

Another thing is that the raging forest fires east of us are not smoking up the sky to an "overcast" look of gray with fire particulates, so now seems a good time to set up my winter garden. I also need to take my truck in to the mechanic for some work since I have a lot of things to pick up, like hay bales (for dog training and moisture control for the garden), potting soil, and fertilizer. I think my truck just sat for too long. It sounds awful when it's running, but I have free towing with my insurance, so no biggie.

Out in the garden, I'm going to try onions, collards (one of my absolute favorites!), carrots, parsnips, celeriac, and broccoli, to name a few and see what works out there. I have all the seeds for the veggies, but now I just need the courage and the physical strength to set it up. I'd like to set up my freeze dryer sometime, too, so I can begin to learn all about that. I may get brave later on and try potatoes, both Yukon Golds and sweet potatoes. :? Both of those freeze dry well. Plus my Spanish lessons are ongoing. Lots to learn! 8-)
coconuts wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:36 pm My teacher besty came into my room the other day, sat down and cried for an hour.
Are you guys working now?? :) Good for you. School is so needed ATM for all our kids.
coconuts wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:36 pm please know you deserve all the goodness in the world.
I know. It's why I fight so hard for my sanity. :| Same to you --- all of you. I have lapses, but I'm beginning to see that few people are blessed with perfect perfection. We all have our problems. I'm really not alone in this. Somehow, that both saddens me and uplifts me. I'm beginning to understand that I simply need to do my best, my actual best, and this will all work out. I never stop learning. I think that that's a good thing. I also think that "a good life is the best revenge", too. MD can't abuse me anymore...unless I allow her to. And I'll be darned if I'm going to allow that to happen at this late date! 8-)

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT SUPPORT, YOU GUYS! ♥♥♥

Honeybera
Last edited by Serenity on Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed NT to MT for some triggering detail
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Here she goes again!! One more way that MD attempted to KILL or at least sicken me!
potatoes can be boiled, baked, fried and roasted. - The only way they are not used is raw. Green potatoes are poisonous!

Solanine is considered a neurotoxin, and ingestion by humans can cause nausea and headaches and can lead to serious neurological problems and even death if enough is consumed. A recent study suggested that a 16-oz (450-gram) fully green potato is enough to make a small adult ill.
- Are Green Potatoes Dangerous to Eat? | Britannica (Google search)

Are green potatoes dangerous?
They may be harmful. The development of solanine in green potatoes may upset your digestion and cause discomfort or worse. Solanine that is consumed in high quantities can lead to paralysis. Potatoes don't usually have high enough levels of solanine to cause this kind of extreme reaction.Jun 22, 2021 - web MD
MD used to cut off little bits of green potatoes as she'd be making dinner when we lived in the little cottage on my grandparent's property and she'd pop them into my mouth as a "treat". I thought that it was ok until just now when I read this. What danger I was in with her! :roll: I had to be between 1½-5 yrs. old. She was such a monster!

Honeybera
Last edited by Serenity on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed ST to MT for some triggering detail, and removed duplicate sentence in quote
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Wow, I haven't written in a long time! I've been busy making astounding progress in my front room and other areas of my house along with some help from DS. Once the DAV (disabled veterans) picks up the boxes already ready for them on Thursday it'll give us even more room to work in. So much was already sitting there in boxes marked "Donate 2017"! LOL :lol: Has it really been that long already?? It took DS and I sitting down for a real honest pow-wow. He said he felt like I wasn't doing my share; I told him that I felt abandoned and unappreciated. It really cleared the air. I start by doing SOMETHING in the house EVERY DAY in addition to my normal chores - he does the heavy lifting and okays anything I'm discarding (you never know). The best part is that I'm not only letting go of MD and her hurtful ways, but also anyone else that I allowed to hurt me because my own self esteem was so low. It's not low anymore and I'm getting stronger every day. (Thank heavens! That depression scare was...well, scary!)

Next up is the garage: We used to have to shut off the pilot light on the water heater every time we would "bug bomb" the garage so I could work in there without the creepy cooties; then we'd have to have the utility guy come out and relight it the next day = no hot water every time we bug bombed the garage. A real pain in the @$$. But now there's a new bug bomb out that that isn't necessary anymore. YAY! So DS is going to run down and get us some tomorrow. Also my pickup is about to be fixed (HALLELUJAH!!! :mrgreen: ) because it's backfiring and running ROUGH. Once I get my truck back I'm going to go pick up more straw bales for training the pups and a HUGE hummingbird plant for my back yard. I just ordered some 60# of worm castings to refurbish my raised beds, but that will be delivered to my house. My 50# of rice hulls are already here. I have my seeds already, too. So I'm set. TONS AND TONS of nice positive healthy things to do for a LONG time! We're finally getting close to setting up the Harvest Right freeze dryer and the Teeter Hang-up, too. LOTS of work, but it's really shaping up. :mrgreen:

I'm also still doing my Spanish lessons. Are you still at it, coconuts? I haven't paid a dime yet, but I must admit I'm getting rather tempted to go for their 2-wk. free trial. I was amazed at how much I've learned and remembered from my 8th grade class and one Spanish class in my senior year in high school, plus all the years living around Spanish speaking people (driving an ice cream truck and working in the office, driving the transit bus, and living in a largely Hispanic state). I never really learned it like I am doing now. I still make mistakes, but I can see how things go together in sentences better and my verb conjugation is MUCH improved this time around.

I just wanted to swing by and say hi to all and hope that all is going fine with you. I'm off to find a really good Keto Peanut Butter Cookie recipe, write it out for tomorrow morning, and then off to bed. ♥♥ My best to all of you!! ♥♥

Honeybera
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

Oooh you are quite busy. So glad the depression scare is abating.
It sounds like you and ds had a good conversation. Isnt that odd sometimes to realize how different things are.? Like growing up there was no such thing as such conversations. It was just demands and being made to feel awful for being the failure they felt we were. So glad its different now.

Oh yes. Totally on my Spanish still. I think im on a 153 day streak. Im sorta impressed with myself. And like you said amazed at how much i picked up just in life. I do like the stories if i need something quick. I figured it they take me about 2 minutes. I find i can test out of the first 3 or 4 levels of every lesson series but that last level or 2 i just usually have a couple words i don't know and need to learn. I think it's good for me. Gives me a goal. Even if some of the things it is making us say is a bit odd. :lol: pretty sure i have never had to paint 3 modern bathrooms blue. But hey you never know right :lol: at any rate i kind of enjoy it.
Hope the big bomb works and you get to accomplish some stuff.

Coconuts
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.