What you tell your kids

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Kokoschka

Re: What you tell your kids

Post by Kokoschka »

Coconuts,
Having your kids come to you not just for clean laundry and food but to hear what you have to say, to help them find solutions, answers is just great. You can put on a couple of medals🏅🎖 for having achieved that with them. Having your kids' love and trust is way above and beyond👏👏👏 You have every right to be proud of yourself🏆🎉

Kokoschka
..but god bless the child that's got his own... (Billie Holiday)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Coconuts

You are so right that kids will learn from older kids. Unfortunately, that’s where most young boys learn what they learn and it is almost always not the right way. Hopefully, the younger generations will be more open with their kids to prepare them for the pitfalls of life we were just thrown into with no guidance.

I found out early as a parent that the thing my daughter loved the most was me telling her about my experiences when I was her age. Both good and bad. I think she used a lot of that as a road map of what to do and what not to do. Listening to me talk about bad decisions I made growing up helped her a lot. I also think that forged a strong bond between us because I would be honest and tell her things as adult to “young” adult and not talk down to her as a little kid.

Eagle
lorto

Post by lorto »

It took me so many years to come up with the strength to tell my kids . But I felt as though they needed to know, they were so understanding
it helped me move forward and it felt like it was no longer a secret. but my kids are 20 and 30 so that made a difference as well.
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

Hey lorto,
I just saw your reply for some reason. Thanks for sharing your experience. I was just talking to my partner about this. We were actually talking about waiting till our daughter is an adult to tell her about my abusive parents. It was nice to hear it went smoothly for you!
Chessgirl