Using documentation to revise my story

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Squiggy

Re: Using documentation to revise my story

Post by Squiggy »

Sent the letter out today. If it takes the same amount of time to get my next reply, I might have something in hand in early November.
Crow wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:21 am So sorry to hear this latest news - really frustrating. Are you in the UK? I have been working for the last six months in records management and deal with the storage and retrieval of paper records, and do a lot of work with requests for records like this (not the one who looks at and redacts the data though). I have some fantastic colleagues who are very experienced and may have some thoughts on how to locate anything that may have been overlooked. If you like I could ask some questions and get some ideas for avenues to explore if you like?
No, I'm American. Although if you can think of any other sources of documents that I might look at, I'll give them a try.
Crow wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:27 am Oh, and the other thing of course is depending on the contents of the records, some or all of them may well have been destroyed now depending on the retention periods assigned to them. So it may be that there were records held at one time, but with time passing they could well have been destroyed if they passed their trigger date for destruction.
Yeah, I already discovered this a few years ago, when I tried to obtain any records the DCFS may have had about me. They said that they had no records, and anything they may have had would have been destroyed after five years of no further contact, unless the original complaint had been deemed unfounded, in which case they would have been destroyed immediately. So, I'll probably never know the DCFS's version of the story about the December 1989 incident.
there

Post by there »

Hi,Squiggy,
Reading along about your efforts to get documentation from health records.
Thinking of you, Squiggy.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

I got a letter back today, and even with the extra information I sent, they were unable to find any documents. That's kind of a head-scratcher. I wonder what happened to them?

Oh well, at least I got one very useful set of documents on the first try.
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

I think looking at my files that it was a shit show back then before computers were really used. And when systems switched to computers they just didnt want to take the effort to store it or transfer it. There are obvious holes in my file. Places where it refers to other reports which dont exist.

Sorry that this search didnt come up with anything or answer any questions.

Coconuts
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed NT to MT for use of profanity
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Squiggy,

Sorry to hear there wasn't anything else... I can't think of any other avenues to try as I don't know US legislation or departments.

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that if your Child Services case ended up in court I don't know if they did or not. The court records should still be there even if the State's records aren't. I obtained limited Child Services records for my case but was able to get a hold of the court records which included things that the social worker said that I stated that I don't remember saying.

I did have to go in person to get the court records but when I did I just had to show my Photo ID to verify that I was the child in the case and I was able to see the records on the computer and had them printed off.

I don't know if this will help you but I thought that I would mention it.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Oh and it was 23 years after the final court notes.
Last edited by Serenity on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT as no triggering detail included
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

My parents were able to fool the DCFS the one time they came out, so there are no court records. Thank you, though.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Your Welcome. Different States have different rules as far as keeping or get rid of records.
sadiebella

Post by sadiebella »

Crow wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:55 pm A few years ago I was blissfully living my life with all this buried somewhere in my head, suppressed and not affecting me. Now it seems to consume me.
I feel this so much, Crow.

and Squiggy, I am so sorry. hugs.