Using documentation to revise my story

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Squiggy

Re: Using documentation to revise my story

Post by Squiggy »

Got the second batch of documents today, unfortunately they contained nothing particularly informative. Oh well, win some, lose some. I'll get on the third batch soon.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Squiggy,

Thank you for the update. Do let us know how you get on with the next lot.
That's one big thing I found frustrating was not getting what I hoped to get hold of.

Take care,

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

Just called out of state to request the third set of documents. No one answered, so I left a message asking them to mail the request form. Wonder how long it will take to get here.
Crow

Post by Crow »

How frustrating Squiggy! Always when we want things like now there's always something to hold things up. Keep persevering ;)

Crow
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

Request form arrived in the mail today, goes out tomorrow morning.
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

After three weeks of waiting, I got a letter back saying they can't find any documents to send, and inviting me to re-send the request with additional information that might help them locate the documents. I'll do that tomorrow. If no documents are forthcoming afterward, I'll be left to wonder whether they were accidentally misfiled, deliberately misfiled, or lost.
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

Darn. Hopefully you can find what you need. My docs were riddled with misinformation. My age is all over rhe place on the docs. My sister and i were confused regularly, and parentage was messed up. There is enough correct to know its still my docs but really lots of errors.

Coconuts
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Squiggy,

That is so weird that you posted last night as I very nearly posted to ask if you had heard anything yet last night too! (But I didn't because I figured you would post an update when you had any news.)

So sorry to hear this latest news - really frustrating. Are you in the UK? I have been working for the last six months in records management and deal with the storage and retrieval of paper records, and do a lot of work with requests for records like this (not the one who looks at and redacts the data though). I have some fantastic colleagues who are very experienced and may have some thoughts on how to locate anything that may have been overlooked. If you like I could ask some questions and get some ideas for avenues to explore if you like?

Coconuts, my records were full of errors also - dob for parents incorrect, contradictions of details in child protection paperwork etc. Trouble is, human error and opinion plays such a huge part in the recording of information from the childrens/social services point of view. It should all be correct though in my opinion.

Crow
Crow

Post by Crow »

Oh, and the other thing of course is depending on the contents of the records, some or all of them may well have been destroyed now depending on the retention periods assigned to them. So it may be that there were records held at one time, but with time passing they could well have been destroyed if they passed their trigger date for destruction.
It is a minefield and I don't think some agencies or local authorities are clear enough regarding their records. Legislation is improving, but some individual companies and authorities do still need to improve their records management and be clearer with their policies.

Crow
Crow

Post by Crow »

What are the chances?! I tell you this morning that I work in records but don't look at the files for purposes of determining what can be released and/or redacted because that is the job of the information governance team to do, yet this afternoon I was asked to look at a file to verify if certain data subjects (the requester) were mentioned as per the database... that is not meant to be what I or my department should do, but because of time deadlines, remote working from the requesting team, and ease of me being on site with the paper records, I was authorised and asked to look at the file... I had no idea what the request was for other than it being children's services files, or what the file contained, but I saw stuff that was triggering! What a day! Feeling a bit emotional...

Crow