Using documentation to revise my story

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Squiggy

Re: Using documentation to revise my story

Post by Squiggy »

I hit upon another idea for checking old documents. I just spent a couple hours at the library, perusing the minutes of School Board meetings from 1989-1991, on the off chance that something related to one or more of the incidents about which I've written might have found its way into the official record, the most likely candidate being the time my parents filed a complaint with the Board. Unfortunately, I found nothing useful. It's on microfilm, so I had to skim each page, but it wasn't nearly as time consuming as it sounds. Many pages contained only information about budgetary or personnel matters, and the information I was seeking wouldn't be found there, so I could just skip over them. Maybe next week I'll go back and look at some more dates, just on the off chance.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Squiggy,

Such a shame you didn't manage to find anything. Like you say, it may be worth having a look at some other dates - you never know what you may find. I can imagine that it is very frustrating though having requested so much and found so little.
(I'm not even sure what micro film is... one for Google!)

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

Hey Crow. It is kind of a bummer that the only really useful dump of documents I got was the one I tried first, and nothing since then has panned out. But, most of the others weren't a complete bust, in so far as the lack of documentation itself conveys information - "nothing was recorded on the subject here at this time" - and eliminates one question mark. Meanwhile, the search continues - where can I look for documentation next?
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Squiggy,

I'm really not sure where you can look next... I'm not familiar with the possible options where you are. Are there any organisations who can provide advice or guidance near you?
Hope you are well.

Crow
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

I'm not aware of any, but then, all of the ideas I've had for places to look have just popped into my head, so maybe another one will.
Another thing I'd like to try is an in-person support group - I'd at least like to try it once, just to see if it is helpful - but I'm not aware of any in my home town. Once the virus is no longer a thing, anyways.
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

I would like to try one too. I decided to try AA again, so I thought a trauma group might help too. Best of luck squiggy
Chessgirl
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

Does anyone know if ordinary police reports are public record?
If they are, and if I can ask them to search one specific address in a wide range of dates, I just might get another treasure trove of documentation. I might learn more about the July 1991 and January 1992 incidents, maybe about the 1989 one and maybe some others that I am currently unaware of.
What have I got to lose, except a stamp?
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

Document request sent. Cross your fingers and wish me luck.
Crow

Post by Crow »

I hope this brings some results for you Squiggy.

Crow
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

I hope this works out. You are so brave. Keep it up.
Chessgirl