How to say "no" to others?

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Naiwen

How to say "no" to others?

Post by Naiwen »

I'm learning how to set my boundaries with guys and to say "no" to others and men especially so I'm not at all that triggered if a guy starts talking to me and etc. I've been groped, kissed and touched unwanted by many guys and often very old ones. Any tips for that?
FrumSurvivor

Re: How to say "no" to others?

Post by FrumSurvivor »

Hi, Naiwen!
I don't know if this will be helpful, so feel free to keep or toss.
I find that body language speaks volumes. If you know you'll be around men, remind yourself "I am valuable and worthy. My body is my own property and nobody else's, so don't even think of touching me." Keeping these types of thoughts in mind helps us carry ourselves in a way that others respect, even if they aren't sure why.
Also, if someone gets too close, act incredulous. The fewer words the better. A raised eyebrow with an "EXCUSE me??" all while remembering in your own mind how valuable you are, can be very helpful.

Again - if this works for you, great, and if not, please do whatever you feel is best. At least you know I care and I tried. :)
Best of luck!!!!!
FrumSurvivor