I just patted myself on the back

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

Flifflo

I just patted myself on the back

Post by Flifflo »

Hello all,

I did something that made me very proud of myself and I told myself and imagined myself patting me on the back. It made me cry. I didn’t realize I never do this. And I guess I need to do it more.

Have any of you had a similar experience? Touched by your own niceness to yourself?? I didn’t know that would mean so much to me. Wow.
Thanks for listening,
Flifflo
coconuts

Re: I just patted myself on the back

Post by coconuts »

Very cool, nice that you are making that connection to yourself. Self compassion is so important. Something I am still working on, seeing myself as deserving of praise or compassion
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
rybeana

Post by rybeana »

Hi flifflo,

That is really nice to hear that you are in a place to award yourself that pat on the back.

Its not something i have done recently, and i should probably do it more often.

Well done you :)
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content
Noname

Post by Noname »

Flifflo,

Good job doing whatever it was that made you proud, and good job allowing yourself to feel proud of you. That's not something I'm able to really do, but on the rare occasions that I allow myself to see positives in myself it does feel good. Weird and strange and maybe a little wrong, but good. It's great that you can be there for yourself like that.
Flifflo

Post by Flifflo »

Thanks. It feels like it was a fleeting moment but I saw it and recognized it. It does feel weird and strange. And it even feels weird and strange to notice it and comment on it. But I thought it was noteworthy nonetheless. And I thought this was the best place to share.

Someone was talking to me about the theory that we use such a small part of our brains. I countered that with we CONCIOUSLY use a small part of our brains. I think the people on here illustrate with their stories how MUCH goes on subconsciously in our brains and it is a LOT. I mean our brains are really quite amazing. I think we just have very little idea how much our brains are actually doing.

Also, I have never been very good at taking complements. It always makes me feel weird and uncomfortable. I tend to think the people complementing me are just flattering me (and therefore it’s not genuine). I’m working on that too. Thanks for listening :-)
Flifflo
Flifflo

Post by Flifflo »

Just want to qualify that last paragraph. I’m talking about people in the 3D world when I find it hard to take complements. This space feels very honest to me and I appreciate that.
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

I can understand that flifflo. I struggle with taking compliments as well. It's always awkward and I don't know how to respond. Part of it is I'm pretty sure I didn't get compliments in any genuine form for most of my growing up years. So learning to respond to them has been a curve for sure. And since I never heard them I never really knew how to give them to myself. Even when I did they were often laced with a well that was good but you could do better sorta thing.

Glad you found a moment to notice. Noticing that is important. And the idea that you were genuine with yourself about it. Even if it was just for a moment or twk...Yay!!
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.