Recovery and learning to love myself

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

Chiquitta

Recovery and learning to love myself

Post by Chiquitta »

Hello to all!
The subject says it all; recovery and learning to love myself. The words recovery and love myself, seems so easy to do; or is it? It is easier said than done, in my opinion. I went from damaged to almost recovered during a long haul; it took about 35 years. Hard to fathom; but it is true. It was not easy either. I would make strides forward; but ended up taking a stride backward. Eventhough I love my husband and children dearly, for them to understand me and what I was going through was extremely difficult. Everytime I went to therapy, I would come home and share what I had learned. That was a courageous feat, but a wise one. As far as loving myself; that was a challenge. Everytime I looked in the mirror, I saw a self loathing me. Not too long ago, I started to love what I saw in the mirror. Time heals all wounds, so the saying goes; but wounds still remain. I can not change the fact that I was abused and suffered tremendously; but I can embrace today and all my tommorows and say I am still here. As half of my life is over, it is time to live and not dwell what could have been. I know what I could have been; I do not have to look far. I see the normalcy, love and happiness in my husband and my kids as they live, and blossom. That is more than I can ever hope for. Any comments or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
FrumSurvivor

Re: Recovery and learning to love myself

Post by FrumSurvivor »

Wow. That's amazing.
Thank you for sharing this. It's very inspiring.
FrumSurvivor
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Thank you, Chiquitta. For me, recovery is all about learning to love and accept myself no matter what. It seemed impossible at first, but gets easier the more I practice. Your story is so inspiring!
Chiquitta

Post by Chiquitta »

Thanks for all the comments. They mean a lot to me.
orangeblossom

Post by orangeblossom »

This is so inspiring! I've been getting down on myself about the steps backward I've taken - it's so encouraging to hear from someone how's been working on this for years. Thank you thank you for this post! And so happy for you!
fight4me

Post by fight4me »

Chiquitta

hi, THANK YOU very much

what you put made me stop and just think for a momant, i am not having a good time at the moment in my head, and i have been selfish in a way as everthing i should hope for is right with me now, a loving Husban and two fanstatic boys,

i will be donig some thinking

be safe

Fight4me
Chiquitta

Post by Chiquitta »

Thanks for the comments. Take care all.