Good News to share

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

new_life

Good News to share

Post by new_life »

I just found out today that my daughter who is currently in middle school received a scholarship to attend the Gifted and Talented Art program at a college close to us. This is her first year taking an official art class and she had to compete with over a hundred students.

I'm not sure if she will actually go or not. She will be away from home for 10 days and she struggles with anxiety issues. I'm so hoping she will go. This is such a HUGE opportunity. I'm such a proud momma right now. I have no one else to share the news with so I thought I would share it here.

new_life
firefly

Re: Good News to share

Post by firefly »

That's fantastic new_life
I hope daughter goes to the art program
Sounds like a wonderful step forward

firefly
River

Post by River »

New_Life,

That is amazing, exciting news! Its great to hear how proud of your daughter you are! This calls for a happy dance!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I like your name.....New_Life!!!!!

River
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi new_life

Smiling right now for you both. These are moments to treasure. How old is she?
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
ajei

Post by ajei »

Thank you for sharing such good news new_life, it's a lovely way to start the day.

ajei
jimscarlet

Post by jimscarlet »

That is terrific news! Oh,I hope she goes and is a great success;
my parents didn't care about my art talent or me,so I thought it,
and me were no good. The thing about having that gift is,it is
very deep,and comes straight from the soul. I never took it up
later in life,because I BELIEVED the parents. NOW,I have recently
started to dabble in it again,but am so sorry I never did much earlier-
it is a kind of death when I look back. Oh,I hope she can see it is not
just making pretty pictures,it is an expression of all she is!
Kind Regards,
jimscarlet :)
P.S. My God,it is not until this
second,that I felt it was a kind
of death!
Last edited by Harmony on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited trigger indicator from MT to NT
new_life

Post by new_life »

Thank you all for sharing in my excitement and pride. I received the letter late yesterday evening after I dropped her off for a visit with her dad and thought I was going to burst waiting for her to come home. I came in the house about to burst with pride and realized I had no one to share the news with so I came straight here and shared it with you guys.

River I literally was dancing in my front yard when I read the letter. I must have looked quit foolish to the neighbors but I didn't care. I was secretly hoping someone would ask me what was going on so I could share the good news with someone. lol

When I showed my daughter her acceptance letter she just beamed. She says she is going to go :D . She has come so far in dealing with her anxiety issues. We were talking earlier today about what an opportunity this is for her and where her art can take her. I am just trying to be supportive without being overbearing. Such a fine line sometimes, at least for me.

Jonesy my daughter is 14. This is actually her first year taking art. She has been drawing and creating things since, well forever but she hasn't had a chance to officially take an art class until this past school year. She did so well her first term in school that her art teacher made them put her in her honors art class the next term.

jimscarlet I'm sorry to hear how you weren't allowed to pursue you art as a kid. I can relate in some ways. I loved to draw as well but my mother chose our talents for us. My brother was gifted artistically, my sister could sing and I was chosen to play a musical instrument. To this day I can't remember how to play it. If I pick it up I literally get sick to my stomach and my mind goes black. This is one of the reasons I want to encourage and support my daughter but not force her. I hope you find a way to pursue your art now. I think it can be a great tool in the healing process.

new_life
facingmytruth

Post by facingmytruth »

awww i love hearing news like this ,you must be so proud,let us know how she gets on :)
jimscarlet

Post by jimscarlet »

BLOODY BRILLIANT! Tell her we will all root for her future studies.
Wish I'd seen you having a wee dance,YAY!!!:)
Don't know if it will help,but most of my anxiety is gone,
after I could give myself permission to get angry for my own
protection;so now,I have boundaries which i allow no one to
trespass. Plus,I bought and studied some books on self-assertion
which I found to be a great help. Let me know if you would like
some book titles for her,and yourself if you are interested.
Kindest Regards,
jimscarlet :)
wings

Post by wings »

Hi new_life,

Just so you know, I moved your post to the Our Positive Transitions forum. What wonderful news and a lovely opportunity for your daughter. You must be so proud of her.