Name Change

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:01 am

Re: Name Change

Post by maggiegirl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:17 am

How does a name change work with Social Security in the US? This is totally unrelated- but you know those once a year Social Security forms you get? Keep them.


Re: Name Change

Post by tommy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:23 pm


I was able to find the following information for you.

You will need to complete a new application with Social Security and submit certified copies of the following:
• Certified copy of the Court order for name change
• Certified copy of birth certificate or other legal document showing your previous identity
• Photo form of ID such as a driver's license, passport or State or Military ID
• Proof of US Citizenship if not already on file with the SSA.

If you would like more details, see the SSA website. Please email if you need assistance locating the form or direct links for details. (

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests