Name Change

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

audacious

Name Change

Post by audacious » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:35 am

Anyone change their name? How did it go, if so?
I'm thinking about changing my name eventually. It's funny, when I was younger I thought it was a silly thing to do. But I've never liked the name my mother gave me. She didn't give it much thought. I was named after a character from a television show she was watching in the hospital. And I don't even like the sound of it. Even if it wasn't my name, it would still be a name I disliked.
The basic rule of dysfunctional families everywhere: "Don't talk, don't trust, don't feel." And here we are talking, trusting, and feeling! Every time we do, it's a small victory.

Truth teller

Re: Name Change

Post by Truth teller » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:54 am

I am thinking of dropping my maiden name. Right now it is official hyphenated with my husband's last name. I was thinking I didn't want to disappear from who I had been prior to when I got married. Now the "maiden" name makes me think of my dad and I prefer to think of my husband. So I may change my last name officially with the state. It requires just a bit of paper work but will mean that all the signs and paperwork where I work will reflect the last name I share only with my husband.

Maybe next year?

Tt

VAC

Post by VAC » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:55 am

It is easy to do...contact the courthouse in the town in which you were born. Tell them you want to do a legal name change. Ask for the form with a source for examples. You will have to use legal terms, but they should provide examples.

It is about a two month process and will cost less than 100 at least in our state.

An attorney will be 500 up, unless you have a friend.

audacious

Post by audacious » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Truthteller,
I know what you mean, I kept my maiden name in part because it's pretty rare. But the small group it is affiliated with is one I don't want to be part of anymore.
Vac,
Thanks for the advice, glad to know it's simple.
Still not sure if I will go ahead with it. It's nice to know I have the freedom to do so.
Aud
Last edited by Jonesy on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
The basic rule of dysfunctional families everywhere: "Don't talk, don't trust, don't feel." And here we are talking, trusting, and feeling! Every time we do, it's a small victory.

fightinback

Post by fightinback » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:36 pm

I don't know how it works in the us. I believe the uk position is easier :)

Just wanted to offer my support.

Always be true to yourself ;)
FB Delicately changing my name because I don't need to fight anymore.

Be true to yourself
Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it

Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 am

Hi audacious

I think a change of name sends a very profound message to yourself, and one that is entirely worth the bother.
Always be proud of who you are.
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org

nomorevic

Post by nomorevic » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Hello,
I have recently changed my first name because I was named after my biological father who is a known
child molester. I had one "friend" who's reaction was very negative but so many more positive responses.
I feel better about my new name and that is all that matters. In the US, it cost me approximately 200 dollars with no attorney.

Good luck.

sensitive warrior

Post by sensitive warrior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 am

Audacious, I changed my whole name, first, middle and last. I wanted nothing from my family and a new start. It wasn't that hard, less than $200 in the U.S. and no need for a lawyer. I hope you are able to change it to something meaningful to you.
sw

FrumSurvivor

Post by FrumSurvivor » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:22 pm

I don't know anything about name changes, but I do know that
I LOVE your quote!
FrumSurvivor

"Whatever doesn't kill you makes you STRONGER"

Yochana

Post by Yochana » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:00 pm

I changed my surname a few years ago and it was scary and almost felt like a betrayal of my FOO in a way but it was a really positive thing in the end. It was helpful in a couple of ways - helped me make a kind of symbolic break from the FOO (though I still do love them) and it was quite freeing... And also helped me feel safer by putting a bit of distance in terms of making me harder to find because I have a different name? Though some of my family that I do still have limited contact with know i have a different name now so I'm not sure that really worked out, but even so it still kind of does make me feel safer.