Getting Therapy

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

angelhairpasta

Getting Therapy

Post by angelhairpasta »

I recently began therapy and joined a support group. Is it odd that I have to practice my breathing exercises more when I'm in therapy or the support meetings than elsewhere? It makes me nervous to show up each week. However, I still have less anxiety overall than before I ever joined. I guess that's what healing is now. I used to think of healing in a more physical way. It is odd to think of emotional or mental healing as what I must accomplish. :?
Last edited by Harmony on Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited from MT to NT as no triggering detail
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting Therapy

Post by Harmony »

Hi angelhairpasta,

Great job on getting help. If only if felt so much better right away. It will get different for sure and hopefully better. Strong work

Harmony
lilskipper

Post by lilskipper »

Angel hair,
Congratulations! Therapy is a such a big step and you should feel proud of yourself for getting there.
I will say I had a rough time the first couple months of therapy and I think that’s totally normal! It’s hard to talk about things that are hard to talk about. It can be taxing emotionally and physically. I was having anxiety attacks before/after because of how intense I was feeling but Im 8 months in now and from here I can say, I am so so glad I stuck with it. It has really opened the door for healing.
So proud of you!!!
Progress

Post by Progress »

Hi Angelhair,
I’m fairly new to all this, but it sounds like you are doing the work, and you are doing a great job! Sending you my support.
Progress

PS I have to admit, in the short time I’ve been on this forum, it made a huge impact on me to hear a similar response from a wise, supportive member.
Oceantide

Post by Oceantide »

Hi angelhairpasta:

Love your name! And glad to hear you're in therapy and a support group, and sharing your feelings. I also remember feeling similar anxiety around both at first. It's encouraging to hear you're feeling better overall. I think many of us grew up with (sometimes unspoken) rules of "don't talk, don't feel" so it feels scary to do both. But as others here are saying, it often gets better over time. Take care!
plantsandtigers

Post by plantsandtigers »

Hi angelhairpasta,

Your username is great, I feel hungry reading it!

Yes, I definitely found the first few months of therapy and group therapy really tough. A lot of stuff coming to the surface, and having to face parts of myself that I had avoided for so long.
It's difficult but it's a wonderful investment that you're making in yourself, I have no doubt it will pay off. Well done for being so brave.

plantsandtigers