Afraid of disclosure during a sensory overload.

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Sherlocked

Afraid of disclosure during a sensory overload.

Post by Sherlocked »

I wasn’t sure where to post this but I definitely would like to hear feedback and suggestions for my concern. So, being that I’m autistic, sometimes there can be a situation where I cannot handle what’s going on and my brain gets too much information at once. Visually it can look like I’m having a panic attack, meltdown and the filter goes off.

At my workplace, and yes my bosses know I have special needs, we will be taking e-learning courses for active shooter situations. I work retail and... I guess it’s our reality now. Staying on subject, I’m afraid that if I ever have to take part in a drill, I’m afraid of having a sensory overload and in the middle of my panic, dissociating and disclosing that I’m a survivor of abuse. Once the filter comes off during an overload, who knows what I can say while being that disoriented.

Has anyone else had similar situations happen to them? I am seeing what my therapist thinks of this. I’ve had small overloads at work before but there’s always fear “the scale 11” one can happen.
Last edited by Serenity on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT as no triggering detail included
"There should be no boundaries to human endeavor. However bad life may seem, while there is life, there is hope." - Stephen Hawking
coconuts

Re: Afraid of disclosure during a sensory overload.

Post by coconuts »

I have had meltdowns at work but never revealed anything. I'm not sure what to tell you. Definitely something to talk to your t about so you are better prepared
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
Harbor

Post by Harbor »

I am not autistic myself, but I know a two truly brilliant people who are. In their case I would say that their special needs are due to their special abilities.

As was mentioned by other, and as you probably have already intuited yourself, knowing what is coming and planning ahead is the key. It's a reasonable accommodation to ask what's coming and to have assistance to plan ahead. That serves everyone, as you could end up being the most cool-headed of anyone.
"'Safe Harbor' is a state of mind... it's the place - in reality or metaphor - to which one goes in times of trouble or worry. It can be a friendship, marriage, church, garden, beach, poem, prayer, or song." -Luanne Rice
Sherlocked

Post by Sherlocked »

Thanks for the feedback. My therapist thinks that there’s little risk about disassociating during a drill but she let me know that under the ADA, I have the right to be informed and given a warning about any drill.
"There should be no boundaries to human endeavor. However bad life may seem, while there is life, there is hope." - Stephen Hawking