Inspirational quotations for survivors

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

FrumSurvivor

Re: Inspirational quotations for survivors

Post by FrumSurvivor »

Wow, this is the best thread ever! I was laughing so hard!
Last edited by Harmony on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed from MT to NT 'cause nothing triggering about a good laugh
FrumSurvivor
fightinback

Post by fightinback »

Truth teller

Told my care worker today about your roller coaster quote. She's never heard it before and loved it. She's taken it back to her office 8-)

I really love this thread too. So inspirational. :D
FB Delicately changing my name because I don't need to fight anymore.

Be true to yourself
Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it
Dee88

Post by Dee88 »

I read this one everyday, I love it the words are so true and they are a great answer to people who question why you are bringing up the past now. It's from the book The courage to heal(my bible).

"People have said to me why are you dragging this up now? Why? WHY ? Because it has controlled every facet of my life. It has damaged me in every possible way. It has destroyed everything in my life that has been of value. It has prevented me from living a comfortable emotional life. It's prevented me from being able to love clearly. It took my children away from me. I haven't been able to succeed in the world. If I had a comfortable childhood I could be anything today. I know that everything I don't deal with now is one more burden I have to carry for the rest of my life. I don't care if it happened 500 years ago! It's influenced me all that time, and it does matter. It matters very much. "
-j l, 47 year old survivor.

Dee88

In silence the heart speaks the truth
Last edited by Harmony on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to removed a living survivor's real name.
Dee88

Post by Dee88 »

Sorry, still new to this. Dee88
glowworm

Post by glowworm »

Oh what a wonderful thread! Thanks Harmony and everyone, I loved reading them :) Tt, your one about PTSD made me laugh.

I'm a quote lover too, have them posted all over the place. Some of my favourites:

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.

Sometimes you have to forget what you feel and remember what you deserve.

If they take everything from us, we'll have nothing to lose.

The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them. - Maya Angelou

Summon the courage to hurtle yourself into your dreams. All that is beautiful about you lives there. - MaMa Gena

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift. - Mary Oliver

20 years from now you will be disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

You will always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

If you want to cross the ocean you must have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Happiness is your birthright. (from a herbal teabag, currently up on the wall in my kitchen)

The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. Noone to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours, it is an amazing journey, and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins. (currently up in my kitchen as well. I'm hoping that if i stare at it long enough each day it'll sink in ;) )
Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructable be found in us. - Pema Chodron
glowworm

Post by glowworm »

Hi Dee,

I remember reading that quote in the Courage to Heal, it really resonated with me too. So true, people just don't understand how much and how deeply it affects our lives.
Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructable be found in us. - Pema Chodron
Silent

Post by Silent »

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do"
Eleanor Roosevelt
Silent

Post by Silent »

Life is a journey, not a destination
Silent

Post by Silent »