Change.org petition / The Crowded Room

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Noname

Change.org petition / The Crowded Room

Post by Noname »

Hi everybody. I just wanted to talk about something that I think is really really important.

Apple TV is getting ready to launch a show called The Crowded Room. They say their goal is to talk about mental illness and bring awareness – which on the surface sounds like an amazing thing. However, the example they are using for Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), is the real-life case of a man – a serial rapist – who was acquitted because he had DID. The fact that they are planning on using this story to "educate" people about DID is just not right. This will only feed the stigma that DID makes a person dangerous. There are so many people out there who have DID and are living functional lives and aren't out there hurting anyone.

I feel like I haven't articulated this as well as the person who made this video:

https: //www (dot) youtube (dot) com/watch?v=PkHeBrN5Fmw

In this video, Wyn (the host of a DID system) does an amazing job explaining what DID actually is, how it’s formed, and why airing this show would be so harmful to DID systems.

There is also a petition on Change.org asking that this content not be aired. As some of you may know, misrepresentation of DID in the media is something I feel very strongly about, and I just think that it’s so important to get this message out to everyone. I hope that some of you may choose to sign this petition. I know many of us in the DID community are so tired of the stigma.

https:// www (dot) change (dot) org/p/apple-call-off-the-crowded-room-for-misrepresentation-of-alters

Thank you.

Edited because I didn't put the "dots" in the right places...
Last edited by Noname on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chessgirl

Re: Change.org petition / The Crowded Room

Post by Chessgirl »

Thank you! I would be glad to sign the petition.
Chessgirl
Noname

Post by Noname »

Thanks, Chessgirl!
Crow

Post by Crow »

It was great chatting tonight in the chat room Noname.
I will take a look at the video too :)

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
earthhorse

Post by earthhorse »

Thanks so much NN will sign the petition and check out Wyns youtube.

I am so tired of schadenfreude. Or the negative stigmatizing, criminalizing of DID and other mental health issues. What a crappy choice they made for survivors in choosing a serial rapist to represent DID - it's so unethical.
"One kind word can warm three winter months"