Surviving and teaching

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Squiggy

Surviving and teaching

Post by Squiggy »

In the chat a few nights ago, I remarked that an unusually large number of abuse survivors on the forum grew up to become schoolteachers, too many to be a coincidence.
Those of you who did enter that field, what drew you to the job? Are you happy with your choice of profession?
Those of you who didn't, was that job something you considered? If so, what led you in another direction?
Chessgirl

Re: Surviving and teaching

Post by Chessgirl »

I was a preschool teacher. Before that I was a nanny. When I eventually finish my last class needed for my BA, id like to teach. I have always been told I have a gift with kids. It comes naturally to me. I know how to get down on their level and play just like a children. I can draw them in and I’m extremely patient with them, unlike how I am with adults. I love all kids even the ones who are challenging. I’m not sure exactly what it is... I think my ability to think, act and play like a kid has helped. I’ve heard other survivors have this skill set as well. My childhood I think helped me to become more empathetic with kids than some people. This is super interesting and I’m curious what others have to say.
Chessgirl
Tryingtostayafloat

Post by Tryingtostayafloat »

I'm a behaviour mentor now, I also started as a nanny, then primary school special educational needs(sen) then secondary ebd emotional behavioural disorders, pupil refferral unit, then Autism and ebd.
I love my job, I feel I have a natural gift, I get what those behaviours really are, I see them and they see me. This year though my own little girl inside couldn't hold no more and atm I've got to take time out to help myself when I'm further into my journey I'll have more to give my students. But I'd really like to work with families, and not be so tied down by the school system. These children, us when we were younger need more than the system allows, they are real people with real feelings and not one shoe fits all.
Last edited by Jonesy on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering detail
I thought my heart was failing
Hey you're ok, you seem to be still standing
Flashes appeared in the corner of my eyes, I saw the stars and I didn't ask why
Heard the voices and caught my breath
So close and yet so far from death
-Florence + the machine
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Squiggy,

This is a really good question, and an observation that I too have noticed as well.
I have never worked with children. My twin brother actually went to college and studied for two years to work in preschool and nursery settings, but he failed the course.
But me... I did take some time after college and between a few first jobs to go on a YMCA training course to study early years and I did some nursery school placements. I was however (in my opinion) too shy and self conscious and of low self esteem to believe that I could do the job.
Over the years I have wanted to train to be a teacher, particularly after starting a family of my own over a decade ago. But unfortunately, timing, money, the need to pay rent and bills and raise a family, all have stopped me. The reason for teaching... to help children and be a positive role model and source of safety and confidence for the children I'd be teaching. But I don't think I'll ever take that career path now.
More recently I have looked at pastoral and behavioural support, and 18 months ago I applied for a similar position in a secondary academy school. I have no knowledge, qualifications or experience. However, I was given an interview, and I did very well and impressed them (not boasting). But... I didn't get the job because I had no qualifications or experience. Pointless interviewing me. They saw my passion for helping kids on my application, they saw my empathy and desire at the interview, but I wasn't qualified.
It really is a financial restriction and life circumstances thing that has stopped me.
Right now, I'd like to (if circumstances and finances were better) go into either helping struggling or abused children and families, or working with child abuse survivors in a more practical and emotional way in some shape or form. But... I'm not in a strong place mentally or emotionally, and I don't know where to start.

I'd also echo what Chessgirl said about empathy - I often think that because of my childhood it has made me so much more empathetic and aware.
And, Tryingtostayafloat - what brilliant work you are doing. And taking time out for your own self and acknowledging your own needs is very good of you, and self aware. I know it's tough to do that.

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.