The Eagle has finally Landed

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Eagle

The Eagle has finally Landed

Post by Eagle »

Hi everyone. Sorry I’ve been quiet for a while, but a lot has transpired over the last month and I’ve been trying to absorb it all. I decided I have enough info now to fill everyone in on what has happened. I’m posting here in the open forum because I figured most people would see it here and might find something useful. This could get quite long, so I may post it in segments so it’s easier to follow.

I guess I should start with a disclaimer so Jonesy’s head doesn’t explode. 😂. Don’t want to confuse anyone. So here is the disclaimer. “I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on Television”. There, that was easy. However, what I’m writing comes from my interactions with my medical and psychological providers along with a unique learned insight on how the body and brain interact and deal with the issues of life. They helped leading me to this conclusion and are all agreeing with me and feel I’m on the right track.

When I first came to isurvive, one of the things I said was before I die I wanted to be able to see what calm feels like. I’m finally there. It’s quite wonderful. It appears that I have finally been able to put all the demons to rest. So, here goes.

The final diagnosis: We looked at ADHD and they said I didn’t qualify. No attention deficit. We went to CPTSD. Once again, a lot of the symptoms were there, but all of the pieces of the puzzle just wouldn’t fit. Working with a psychologist, therapist and my gastroenterologist (for most of the physical symptoms) we finally came up with what appears to be the correct answer. The science community call it SPS which is Sensory Processing Sensitivity. The psychological community calls it HSP which is Highly ( or Hyper) Sensitive Person. It is not a disorder, but a genetic variation that is prevalent in about 20% of the world population. Interestingly, It is also prevalent is most other species on the planet as well from mammals to reptile, fish and even insects. We mentally process all sensory information (sight, smell, hearing etc) at a higher and much deeper lever than most people. We sense things at such a high level that It’s to the point that we can even absorb other’s emotions. It revolves around how our brains use certain neurotransmitters which are serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. When we were doing EMDR in therapy on my childhood trauma, we found that most of those experiences were not so much about me feeling trauma, but how I was reacting to the pain or actions of others. My sensitivity to others caused me to accept that pain as my own and I continued to live with it throughout life. EMDR helped me disconnect those traumatic events from myself and help me understand why I took them as my own and couldn’t ever get over them. They are now just normal passed memories and I can view them as they actually were and without pain. I know a lot of you have expressed being highly sensitive. Look up Sensory Processing Sensitivity and it will give you the science behind it.

Anyone confused yet? It gets more complicated as I try to unravel it. I’ll stop here for now and see how this goes over before a open up the real bucket of worms. That is how the body reacts to those perceived traumatic inputs and how it becomes a vicious circle between mind and body. The mind controls the body, and then in turn the body controls the mind.

Eagle
Crow

Re: The Eagle has finally Landed

Post by Crow »

Hi Eagle,

I've been thinking of you for weeks and wondering how you are doing. It's great to hear from you!

I'll keep this one short as I could go on and on and on. HSP was a light bulb moment for me when I discovered it, and that was only just at the beginning of my looking at my childhood a few years ago now.
My very first post on isurvive I casually even mention HSP! Here in the UK the NHS seem very keen on the rise of CBT and I could get into a controversial discussion about data gathering, target meeting, and patient failing... but I won't, because it's not necessary and is only my possibly distorted opinion. :D But there is a difficulty I've heard of here in the UK with obtaining diagnoses, and it's likely I'll never get one, so I work with what I have.
I also heard of SPS during 18 months or so of struggling with being so sensitive to noises from neighbouring flats and how bothered I get about a lot of sensory things that my wife and many others think is a bit over the top, and don't quite understand!

So yes, I am very familiar with what you're saying, and there are several members who identify as HSP here, one of which I was talking about this very topic with in the chat room the other day!
And as frustrating as it can be, there a many benefits to having such a trait too.
But, add complex trauma to the mix and as you know yourself, it makes for a confusing and often times chaotic navigation of life...

Anyway, look forward to hearing more from you Eagle, and it truly is good to hear that you've made such progress, and to have found calm! :)

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Crow.

You are right about there being a very positive side to it. They say it is a blessing and a curse all wrapped up together. We feel pain and sorrow 10 fold to those without it, but we also feel joy and happiness 10 fold as well. We feel wonderful ness in all aspects of life that others only dream of. I choose to get myself back to that point. I have used nicotine, caffeine and alcohol all my life to subdue it and try to fit in with society’s expected norm, but now I know I want to remove all that and be who I am.

I will post more later. For us who are HSP or SPS, whichever one prefers to call it, if we had a less than happy childhood environment, it drastically affected how our brains developed. Especially with regard to fight or flight and the body’s response to stress. That causes a lot of issues with regard to current stress and how we react to it. I’ll cover that in another post.

Eagle
quixote

Post by quixote »

Eagle,
This is an interesting thread: EMDR, PTSD, and HSP. I'm glad that they were able to help you, and I think I learned a few things today, too.
quixote
gods_child

Post by gods_child »

Eagle,

Congratulations on gaining more understanding about yourself and getting a diagnosis! I'm glad you had someone qualified and dedicated to walk you though what can sometimes be a long and frustrating process. It looks like you also have a good handle on what helps you process and heal. I don't know about you, but being diagnosed has often helped me breath a little easier and see my struggles for what they are. Wishing you well on your journey!

- gc
Member since Oct 3, 2007
102 Old Posts
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Quixote and Gods-child

Thanks for your responses. Sorry I’m late in responding. I’ve been a little delinquent checking the web site. Now that spring is here, life has been super busy.

So, we’ve stayed with the diagnosis of HSP/SPS. I’ve stopped doing therapy. It was great using the EMDR, but now I feel I can continue on the journey on my own. As you said gods-child, having the right diagnosis makes the journey much easier to follow.

What I’m doing now is just watching and listening to myself and seeing how I react to everything. Also, seeing how that fits with the SPS characteristics and watching how I resolve the tight spots my mind gets into when things don’t go well. The mental swirls are still there, but now I can see how my brain tries to run down the rabbit hole and I can stop, refocus and get things moving back in a positive direction. As Crow said earlier, if you are HSP and have a less than ideal childhood, your brain (and body) will make modification early in life to help it deal will the over stimulation. Unfortunately that means gearing you for a much more intense fight or flight response than others may have. That’s been the main issue for me. All my life I have lived in constant fight or flight mode. The mental anxiety it creates is hell to deal with, but the physical symptoms are even worse. Because I lived in constant fight or flight, my body was always pumping too much cortisol (and adrenaline) in the system. All that cortisol keeps your digestive system inflamed which causes all sorts of problems. That’s also where all my hyperactivity comes from.

Here is an interesting example. I’m quite a social butterfly and when I go to the golf course I try to talk to everybody that’s there. Usually chit-chat, but sometimes politics which usually gets everyone’s emotions going. I absorb all of their emotions. That’s over stimulation number one. As I go to the first tee, there are lots of people watching you tee off. Over stimulation number two. This is where the SPS kicks into high gear. The first hole where I play is the hardest hole on the course, so stress level goes up again. Because of the way my body has wired itself, I will immediately start going into fight or flight and become hyperactive. Never realized it before, but now I have I sure fire method to check it. I know what to look for. As I walk up to the first tee, I’ll check the sun. If it seems extremely brighter than normal, I’m in fight or flight mode. When you are in fight or flight, your eyes Dilate. They do that so you can absorb more information. Makes everything brighter. Now, I use that to gage my stress level and use mental things I have now to bring my stress level back down. So far it’s working great.

Still lots of things to work on, but life is starting to be a lot more fun than before.

Eagle
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Eagle,

Sounds like you're making some confident decisions on your imminent future and healing journey. It's enlightening to discover little (or large in this case) breakthroughs that help you to figure out the way ahead and the way to determine obstacles and deal with them.
Eagle wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:10 pm Because I lived in constant fight or flight, my body was always pumping too much cortisol (and adrenaline) in the system.
That for me when I discovered that this past year was really eye opening. And the results in the brain and body of all that extra cortisol causes all sorts of problems.

Good to hear from you again Eagle. Hope your golf game is improving and you are managing some Eagles of your own on the course... :lol: :roll: ;)

Crow
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Absolutely Crow. Game has really started improving. But there is a fact of life old golfers have to deal with. As age goes up, driving distance goes down. Getting a lot harder to get to those par 5s in two now so I can put for Eagle. However, there is that occasional hole in one on a par 3 that counts for an Eagle. 🤪. Never call it that though. You get more credit for calling it hole in one.

Eagle
Crow

Post by Crow »

Love it! ;)