Newbie hello

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: quixote, Harmony, Jonesy

dragonelle

Newbie hello

Post by dragonelle » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:41 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Dragonelle, 40s, live in the UK. Having been in therapy for several years - i've just started to be able to think of what I grew up with as abuse and trauma - particularly abandonment and emotional abuse/neglect. Exploring, joining and now posting are all little steps on the road of no longer minimising it.

My biggest struggle (at least when my depression and less healthy coping behaviours are managed...) is intimate relationships which is something i'm working on trying to change, but it is so hard and so lonely a journey. However, I've already had a few 'it's not just me' moments reading through the other threads on here, so i'm hopeful - which isn't an emotion I experience an awful lot!

See you around, Dragonelle
"There's going to come a day when you feel better, you'll rise up free and easy on that day" - the Mountain Goats

Crow

Re: Newbie hello

Post by Crow » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:10 pm

Hello dragonelle,

Welcome to isurvive. I'm recent joining too, and just reading your post echoes my recent acknowledgement that I experienced abuse in childhood (as clear as it was anyway) and that I minimise it all too often... even now as I type this I'm minimising it in my mind!

Take care and hope you settle in nicely here.

Crow

Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi dragonelle

A very warm welcome to isurvive
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org

coconuts

Post by coconuts » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Welcome. Glad you found us.
Coconuts

dragonelle

Post by dragonelle » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:48 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.

Crow - I found Pete Walker's book (complex PTSD) very useful on the subject of minimisation... As my inner critic started in on me within the first few pages, it encountered an entire chapter devoted to minimisation being a symptom in its own right - (my critic can be relentless with me, but it finds books or my T harder to argue with!).
"There's going to come a day when you feel better, you'll rise up free and easy on that day" - the Mountain Goats

ajei

Post by ajei » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:53 am

It's really good to meet you dragonelle.

ajei

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Thanks dragonelle I will check that book out ;)

Crow