'Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering'

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Shakti

'Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering'

Post by Shakti »

Hello all,

I am currently reading 'Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering' by Mary NurrieStearns and Rick NurrieStearns, published by New Harbinger 2013. And it has proved to be very beneficial for my healing. Contrary to what the name suggests, the book doesn't merely contain multiple yoga poses, instead it focuses on the philosophy of yoga as a practice of self-care, combined with commentary about the psychological and physiological effects of emotional abuse. It includes actual techniques and exercises of self-compassion that anyone can use on themselves. Which is great, because so may of us don't know how to translate the love we have for ourselves into actual physical practice.
freedomfighter

Re: 'Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering'

Post by freedomfighter »

Hello Shakti,
Thank you for the info on yoga. This is something I have been looking into exploring for a while. I have tried using the videos on YouTube but they are quite basic and I don't seem to get much out of it. I may look into a book like the one you suggested or join a class.

I hope you are well and enjoying your yoga practice.

Take care,
Freedomfighter
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step