Question about a memory from childhood

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Pugs

Question about a memory from childhood

Post by Pugs »

This happened when I was 11 or 12 years old. My friend and I rode our mopeds to a farm that was in our neighborhood. My friend was actually related to a man that worked there. We would see him usually every day while we were out playing and riding through the subdivision. One day we went to the farm and into a barn where he was working. He sent my friend up to the house located on the farm. As soon as she left he put sat down and put me on his lap. He told me how he thought I was very pretty. At that moment it's like time stopped/ everything goes black and I don't remember anything except for when my friend came back to the barn. I remember we got on our mopeds and left. I've always wondered why I remember only those few parts of this and not the rest? I'm 45 years old now and I'm curious to know if something may or may not have happened to me.
Jonesy
Director
Director

Re: Question about a memory from childhood

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Pugs

Firstly, a warm welcome to isurvive. Regarding your question? I am sure you realise it was highly inappropriate for that man to set an 11 year old on his lap in that manner. So that, in itself, is a massive red flag. I would say that it's highly probable something happened and that it seems you have blocked the memory.

Please also look for an email from me.
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Pugs

Post by Pugs »

Thank you so much for your warm welcome and reply. I've always had that gut feeling that something did happen. How do you ever remember what did happen or is it possible that you may never remember? Thank you again.
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content included
IMA

Post by IMA »

For me it was through memories and when I met those people again I remembered everything.

Then it manifested into nightmares.

IMA
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

hi Pugs
Just wanted to welcome you here.
In my experience I have had both kinds of memories. Things I always knew and remembered that happened. Then other things this last year that have started coming out in flashbacks to me slowly until some pieces put things all together.
Yes I agree with jonesy that was a red flag definitely wrong.
I’m sorry that happened to you.
Take care
Shirley
There is always a silver lining.
Serenity
Director
Director

Post by Serenity »

Hi Pugs,

I would say to trust what your gut is telling you. I think that it is likely that something more happened. When bad things happen, our minds do what they can to protect us from it, but things can't stay buried forever. So lots of times these memories come back little by little when our minds think we are safe and ready to deal with the memory. Be gentle with yourself right now. Oh, and welcome to isurvive.

With care,
Serenity
Pugs

Post by Pugs »

Thank you to each one of you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate you all very much. Thank you again.
Last edited by Ashia on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content included
there

Post by there »

Pugs,
Putting you on his lap was definitely crossing a line. You didn't deserve that, or anything more that might hve happened.
You have courage in posting this.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
flowergirl47

Post by flowergirl47 »

Hi Pugs,

So sorry you had this happen to you.

My childhood memories are like that too. It's maddening not to know for sure what (if anything) happened beyond what I can remember. Although, I'm not sure if the remembering would help me or hurt me - my brain has been protecting me from this for forty years. :?

Peace,
Flower Girl