There's Healing Journey 2018

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

there

Re: There's Healing Journey 2018

Post by there »

iwt,
I may have done it, too. Please don't feel guilty. I don't remember you doing it.
I try to give the benefit of the doubt, too. Probably when people are being mean IRL, which is often, it makes things here seem more crucial or something.
I hope the sting I felt passes. Thanks.

Harmony, thanks. It's people making snap judgments, esp., that bothers me. Or ageism. She didn't assume that I'm a grandmother. She assumed my age and treated my according to her beliefs about that. In her mind, I should relate to her being a grandmother because of her assuming my age.

I'm not an age. I'm a person. And even if you do know my age because you actually asked, what do you actually know from that? Not much about the actual me.

I like "People teach what they most need to learn." applied to this. ha! Yes, arrogant.

Hard to not let people get me down. And to be alone so much, doesn't help.

Fleur,
Thanks. Good to hear from you. I make judgments of people, too. I just usually manage to not say something out loud. I may be proved wrong or it might not be appreciated or even hurt someone.

I make an effort to treat everyone like a person. I guess that's too difficult for most people. Easy to lose sight of everyone's shared humanity, if they ever had it in sight.

Guess I'm lucky for my education. It included interpersonal communication training. I use that and have grown with it, I believe.

I have to work, in general, on not taking on others' opinions, assumptions, etc.

Just feeling very sad and alone with it all.

Scared about $, change, future, doing it all alone. Disappointed because I am a very friendly person. I guess I'm fortunate for the people in this building who think of me as a friend.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
wolfspirit

Post by wolfspirit »

there,
I just wanted to check in and say that I would be your bf if I lived in your building. :)

<3
ws
Wounds are where the light enters you.
Rumi
there

Post by there »

Aww, ws, Ty so much.
there

Post by there »

hi, anyone!
Have the afternoon off from 1 teaching job. Beautiful day here. Went to get library book and return a CD. Awesome huge art book of Sister Corita's prints. She's a real inspiration to me. Hopefully, I can combine my art and words to sell online.

Have made inquiries and left vms at 2 different YMCAs to get informational interviews w yoga instructors. Will phone again if no response. Already this week, left 2 vms at 1 director's office. I'm doing my part. Also filling out a volunteer form for 1 Y.

Monday , some kids were difficult, a bit mean to me. Waiting for supervisor to get back to me for support. I can't believe the ignorance at times, and wonder why they think it's ok to say stuff they do. Am rebounding, but had difficulty sleeping that night. I know it's not me, don't take it personally, but it's really inconsiderate. Don't want to teach there on Monday. May take much needed mental health day. Maybe week after, too. Throw off the attendance, lol!

Bought a walk-in pass at nearby city hall for local pond here. It's clean water and a beautiful spot with woods around it. I asked a neighbor I'm becoming more friendly with, and she wants to go sometime. So glad. She really likes Tula. My little social director!
Myrecovery

Post by Myrecovery »

Hi there,

I just landed on your thread and read your post about feeling hurt when people don't respond and it hit a nerve as I may be guilty of this and I am sorry if I have not acknowledged your messages.

I am glad you mentioned this issue, every reply really matters to me, I feel like I have been a bit selfish in how I use this forum as I just come here and offload when I feel really overwhelmed and the responces really help but I am not really good about posting on other people's threads which I feel bad about.

We had a beautiful day where I live today too!
Myrecovery
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Hello there

I've been thinking about the way children treat others. No one size fits all but... When I hear how they respond so horribly to their peers and negativity regarding adults in their life SOME youngsters are really rude and very much in their own world. As you say it wouldn't matter WHO was upfront that is how they behave. I have noticed a few bus drivers correcting poor language even to the point of letting the teens wait for the next bus. I don't know if there are ramifications but I silently applauded the drivers.

Apart from modelling best practice and using what you already do regarding unacceptable behaviour I really can't think what to suggest. Hopefully your supervisor/s can offer pointers.

As the T I saw today said - it is often the parents who ought to be held accountable for how their children behave but these adults tend to be in denial

Your posts generally reflect a friendly person. May you find people who are much more friendly and willing to offer genuine friendship. Really hoping Tula selected a lovely woman with whom you share walk times. Having a pass means you can visit park any time? That sounds a lovely retreat from hustle and bustle Of suburbia

Caring hugs
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
wolfspirit

Post by wolfspirit »

there,
I can relate so much to the rudeness of a child's behavior. They learn from what they see, not what they hear- as you know. So we can assume the child's choices are related to their home/school/daycare environments. I'm wondering if you're okay with offering a bribe (incentive as we call them LOL) for those children who can control their bodies and voices to only include helpful choices. I realize that some of them don't know the difference between helpful and selfish/hurtful, but they learn pretty quickly.
I use just one Skittle. Or a small dum-dum lollipop. Sometimes one RedVine licorice. Yes, we can debate all of the horrors of encouraging sugar intake and making motivation an extrinsic thing...I'm of the opinion that most children can not yet learn intrinsic motivation until they are much older- 13 or 14 years old. So! Whatever keeps things easy for ME, is what I do. :lol:
Just a thought- you probably have already considered it.

Right on for the spreading of your applications for yoga instruction. I'm sure once that gets started it will flow smoothly and keep going. So needed in our society right now. It is admirable that you are following an idea to its fruition. :)

A little bit of nature goes a loooooong way for me, too.

<3
ws
Rumi
there

Post by there »

Myrecovery,
Thanks for your caring response. I don't expect sb to respond on my thread if I have on theirs. I'd welcome it, but please don't feel obligated. I mean that.

I'm sure I've missed responding to posts at times too. I guess it just felt like rejection, and I know not to take it personally on here. I guess I'm vulnerable here and maybe that amps up my feelings.

Fleur,
Thanks for thinking of me. I put love into my work and into the kids. I do know what measures to take. I still need emotional support because it hurts and is triggering, and affects my mental health. That's support I usually get from supervisor, plus I work on a plan of action with her for a given situation. And, yes, the parents have some responsibility. True.

ws,
Thanks for sharing your own experience. I could offer incentives again. I guess I'm tired of dealing with it. Imagine that! I enjoy reading your Skittle Behavior Mod. :D Tired of feeling triggered and hurt.
This library is blocks away from where I was SA'd by 1 person, SA'd and evicted by a landlord. I wouldn't live in that city if you paid me.

I really need to say how I freaking feel. I just need somebody to freaking feel for me. Hate this shallow, ignorant society. My Dad was right. Some of my students don't know how lucky they are to have me.

When a little boy starts putting down my class, then doesn't come back, that's one thing. It's been going on since wintertime. He verbally put me down last time he came and I told him it wasn't acceptable. He hasn't returned.

His little 5-year old sister has been loudly announcing every week for 2 months, "D doesn't like creative drama. He thinks it's boring." I don't deserve to keep hearing that. And I've told her. She comes back the next week with the same. I don't want to be harsh to a 5 year old.

I'm hurt and disappointed in the mother, too, who has faithfully brought her kids for a year. She's been a bit negative to me. I feel scapegoated and very sad.

Other kids were rude, too. I think they want to push me out. Sick of them.

Sad almost to tears. It's people in general, too.
July is my Dad's birth month.

Thanks for reading, anybody.

there

Post by there »

And I feel bad that I haven't responded very much to others' threads for a little while.
wolfspirit

Post by wolfspirit »

there,
Sorry there's a dysfunctional, clueless family that comes to your class. :(
It is so hard not to take their behavior to heart. I get it.
Since it's a creative drama class- could you make that girl the antagonist all the time? :D
Or maybe the opposite- have her play the role of protagonist so she gets a taste of her own medicine?

I'm joking but I wish I had a solution. I know you don't need one. I just always feel that need to make things right for people I care about.

I hope things go better next class. :)

<3

ws
Rumi