Letting go

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

honeybera

Re: Letting go

Post by honeybera »

Hello my dears! (big hugs if ok) Thank you for asking after old Spot-tastic. She is really improving quickly, even though she lost her toe and "digital pad". She is barely limping on that foot anymore. I am greatly relieved, but will continue to clean that area daily for the next week. ♥♥She's a tough old dog.♥♥

I went to cousin R's tonight with DS in a separate car so he could leave early and still get to work, and the party was an uproarious success! Cousin R got out the full Wolfman outfit for DS and DS delightedly "became the Wolfman" with full head and sleeves - VERY lifelike! The kids would come up to the walkway and DS would stand stock still among the other animated "creatures"...until the kids got within inches of him, cautiously looking him over carefully --- when he would suddenly move or make a noise and they'd jump a foot! SO FUNNY! :lol: There was even one ADULT who reached out tentatively and actually touched my son's arm when my son jumped and growled LOUDLY and scared the pants off this guy! :lol: :lol:

After the trick or treating was over and all front yard decorations were broken down and put away, I went to get into my car and drive home, but R and L and I ended up talking in the street by my car for a while. I got a lot said, including how I didn't want to intrude on them, but would love to be more of a part of them, an idea which they wholeheartedly welcomed. So YAY! :mrgreen: New friends and actual family? I sure do hope so.

This also gives me a new incentive to improve my home and garden. I need to unearth my seats in my front room and replace the carpet. I shared with R that I am a sort of hoarder, but found no judgement there. So I have a very important reason to clean up enough and organize so I can invite them to come down and visit ME. I would so like that. Being social is very difficult for me, but I can think of no others that I would like more to welcome into my home. They are such decent people. I am slowly being RE-introduced to this part of my extended family and have found nothing but loveliness. Cousin R's youngest son, B, has a new baby (also my cousin! :mrgreen: ), only 6 months old and sweet as sugar, but VERY precocious! And when he looked right over at me and smiled wide, I was hooked! 8-) Awwww!!!

So glad that I went to the Halloween gig! So is DS. Very, very nice - for both of us!!

Computer is acting up...enough for tonight.

Honeybera

[BTW, the darned computer just quit working and froze up, so this didn't send. Here it is now...♥♥]
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Hello Honeybera

Really lovely post to read. Feel very happy for you and son - plus Spot

May the incentive of welcoming guests into your home increase all your hard work to clean, tidy, replace ....

Much caring
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

I have much more to say, especially as it pertains to MD and this "new" addition to our family, but I have some chores to do, too, so I'll make this a l-o-n-g one punctuated with ========= marks as I do my chores and then write some.

I go see my new T next week on Wed. (oh wow! in only 5 more days!) and I can hardly wait to get started! I have decided that I no longer "have to be ugly" anymore. I never was "ugly"! Dear R remembers me how I was as a child and a teenager. (He is now 70.) Oh, he took a pic of me on Halloween '17 and showed it to me. I LOOKED AWFUL! Tired and horribly fat and I really LOOKED like I was "circling the drain", an expression I used to explain how I felt to DS as I began Keto in late Nov. '17. I'm no spring chicken even now nor do I look like "Twiggy" (if you're too young to remember, google it), but she was the new standard (rail thin) and I was judged by her and not the Marilyn Monroe image of the 50s. (I'm no Marilyn either, but her more ample Sz. 12 figure was more relatable.) Even my BFs, the twins, were skinny, as were my cousins from my Aunt M who we were close to geographically. If they were to be considered "normal" (and they honestly looked like some starving refugee children from Bangladesh or something), then I was "FAT". I have pictures of me in a leotard doing a perfect handstand/walkover with one of the twins doing the splits and holding my leg in that pose - and there wasn't an OUNCE of fat on me!!!!! There's another one of me in a dress in front of our fireplace filled with Xmas cards - AND I WAS NOT FAT, DAMMIT!! I wish I could have appeared there magically and hugged and held me as the lovable and beautiful child that I was and whispered the truth of it into my ear. But to enable MD to feel better about herself, she was more than happy to destroy me and my own self worth and self confidence and introduce self loathing in its place!!

In looking up Twiggy myself (just to jog my own memory of her from the 60s), I ran across some news that the child of Cher and Sonny Bono, Chaz Bono, has lost a whopping 85 lbs! I wondered just how he did it, and the reply triggered vivid memories, exactly what I'm about to address with my new T:
Bono has admitted that his issues from food may have stemmed from his family’s attitude towards weight, however.

“There was a lot of pressure to be underweight growing up,” Bono has said. He explained that even though he “wasn’t an overweight child,” he was still “put on diets all the time.”
OMG, Chaz! I totally understand!!!!!!! And my self image and self esteem and even taking the "easier" route of being LESS THAN pretty and even doing all that I can to actually BE UGLY to satisfy the mean and hateful urges that made up MD I am beginning to understand just how foolish that is. I am approaching the dreaded fashion industry with caution and fascination. My own hair has been a prime example of how I was mistreated and ridiculed and how I ultimately coped. I found that if I simply did nothing to my hair, it would grow (duh!) and since my hair was very pretty AND long, I got many compliments on it. So I avoided beauty shops and just let it grow. I do that to this day. When it gets "too long", I grab the scissors and just lop off several inches of it and that's it.

Back in 2009, I began to feel the same positive way about "dolling up" (as MD called it), so I went down and got my hair done, color and all (first time for the coloring). I really liked it! And my clothing was in those days a clean regulation bus driving uniform or a muumuu at home. I actually had a guy who did my hair every couple of months, and I liked it. And then I met N. Was it the hair? Who knows? By this time I was VERY fat (306.4 lbs in 2007) and a T2D (also in 2007 300-400+ blood sugars with an a1c of 12!!!), but started on "Atkins low carb" for two years (yes, I've been at this a long time!!). My doctor was threatening starting me on insulin, but a bus driver cannot be on insulin and still drive, so we opted for the highest dose of meds available instead. I was getting sicker and sicker. None of that changed until last Nov. and this Ketogenic WOE + intermittent fasting TOGETHER. I'm just hoping that I'm not too far gone to come back.

When I was a kid, MD did my hair. AND purchased or sewed all my clothes, daily chose what I would wear, AND dressed me. [read: CONTROL FREAK!!!!! and NOT NOT NOT a good nor a nurturing mother!!!!!!!!!] She also chose my hairdo: the length of it AND THE NEATNESS OF IT! That's why the goopy smelly "wave set", slime in a bottle, was used. "Not a hair out of place!!" I was more of a dolly than a human being. And I was expected to "go outside but stay clean"!!! And of course, being a REAL human being and a child, that rarely worked. She would get VIOLENTLY upset with me, and WHAMMO! I'd get a beating. Behind closed doors, of course. From an infant to a toddler to a schoolgirl to a teen to an adult.

============================

This will be a BIG week for me. Grocery shopping this morning (yes, I'm still up! :x ) plus I need to swing by Home Depot for more box cutters (for front room cleanup and garage cleanup, too) AND swing by Sears and arrange for them to deliver my new stove (FINALLY!) on Thursday. I've got an electrician coming on Tuesday + it's ELECTION DAY here (voting is a big deal for DS and I). AND I have my first appt. with my new T on Wed. What a week! We had the daylight saving time change yesterday, too. Wow.

I'm beginning to get sleepy now (God forbid!) so I think I'll just get dressed and grab a cuppa coffee (keto style) so I can get started.

================================

Just had my coffee, but...still tired at 7:30am. I'm wondering if this reluctance to "get started" is just all in my head. Definitely going to talk this over with my new T on Wed. Perhaps I could just get dressed, walk outside, get in my car, and GO GO GO!!

Pondering on all this, I recall how MD would "greet" me in the morning when I was VERY little (18 months - 5 yrs.) - she would call me LAZY and ridicule me for "having sleepers in my eyes" - I mean REALLY GET UPSET about it. I remember thinking about how AWFUL it was that I "got sleepers", but if I tried to rub them out myself, she would become enraged, tell me how UGLY I was, and very often she'd slap me for it. (I know, I know...slap me for WHAT? It's just how she rolled at that time.) It was always so difficult for me to try to wrap my head around her insanity, but as a child, I just assumed that she knew what she was doing and that waking up with sleepers in my eyes was a VERY bad thing that "nice" people never did! She shamed me from the minute I woke up (♪♫ Lazy my name, will you get up, will you get up today!? ♫♪) until she'd shove me into the crib at the foot of their marital bed at 6pm so she could have "fun" with my father, ALONE, in the front room. I eventually came to believe her that I was always "wrong" and "icky" and I got in less trouble if I merely sat there like a lump and did NOTHING - it got me in less trouble...usually.

I need to get dressed and get out to my car. I need to go to my favorite grocery store since we are out of everything (nearly anyway) and they have avocados this week for 38¢ each and NY steaks for only $2.38/lb and pork chops (my favorite keto meal!) for 88¢/lb! God, I love this store! DS is hitting Costco today for his hamburger meat (which he uses to fill 6 silicon "Bubba burger" forms and toss those in the freezer) and with a list that I still have to write for him. Man, if I lay down to write it (on my iPhone to send to his)...I won't get back up.

Well, at least I'm conflicted about it. And it's not as bad as it was when I was 19, married, and going through my first "clinical depression". Now that was REALLY bad! NO energy whatsoever! And I stayed up all night playing Yahtzee by myself and slept all day. Hm. Sounds like now. Sort of. If there were videogames in those days (1965-66), I'd have probably done that instead of Yahtzee. I never bathed, never dressed, never cleaned our apt., never did anything. What I am experiencing now is like "clinical depression LITE". I still rarely dress (muumuus are comfy and efficient and EASY to wear), but take regular showers and cook and do my laundry and am SLOWLY cleaning my house.

BTW, old Spot's foot is getting better by the day, but Ms. T is just doing the best that she can. She gets lost in the garage sometimes (it's where she sleeps and sometimes eats) or gets tangled up in gardening supports out in the garden, but she just keeps on keeping on, plodding around the yard as she does, and I do not believe that getting old is a capital offense, punishable by death. We are as supportive of her as we can be. I think she is stone deaf by now, and her "doggy Alzheimer's" is definitely advancing. She never barks or makes any sounds anymore; she used to be my most vocal dog, and this breed is known for their "talking". We love her so much! It's difficult to watch her decline by the day, but it's still a comfort to have her around. She'll be gone a long time when she is finally gone. :cry:

I'm going to write that Costco list for DS now, and I will just go gently with myself if I happen to conk out, but I'll also try not to (which is why this is "clinical depression LITE" and not just plain old "CLINICAL DEPRESSION"). Plus 38¢ is an awfully good price for avocados! And I miss having pork chops and a nice crispy salad as my main meal. SERIOUSLY! I really need to love myself here, both by getting myself moving AND forgiving myself for just being human if I don't happen to..."perfectly"! I'm getting more comfortable with that by the day. ;)

Honeybera
Last edited by Ashia on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed NT to MT for use of profanity
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Hello Honeybera

Having been told almost daily negative description from my Dad, I can relate to what you share about MD in your head. I am so thankful you have photos that disprove any suggestion you were less than a beautiful child

If you want, feel comfortable doing so, please print your posts regarding your thoughts , feelings, around your family to take to your new T. You might wait for a few sessions to know that this T is for long term - I get that. It seems to me that you have consistently written about some memories which are painful recollections and it could be easier, simpler, to let T read posts instead of you telling what happened

Excellent news about stove - may you enjoy using it for many years trouble free - and may electrician install properly first time

Thank you for saying about Spot and Ms T. I am glad Spot is doing well after accidental loss of toe. Ms T hopefully has more positive moments amidst doggie Alzheimer's. Must be hard to see her now and recall her younger, feisty, days

Trust all the shopping has been sorted - you have a wonderful discount outlet nearby. Huge help for your budget

Really like your concept of "clinical depression LITE". Something to add to the DSM!

May you have slept well and shall enjoy today

Much caring
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Hallelujah!!! I just drug out of my doctor's office girl the RESULTS of my tests (4 flipping weeks ago!!) and she said, "All results show that everything is stable and improving. There is no liver disease and your triglycerides are normal." WHAT???? "Doctor will discuss the results with you IN DEPTH when you come in on Nov. 15th." WOWEE!!! It's like a HUGE WEIGHT was lifted off of me!!!!!

My diet (WOE) with all its healing qualities is working!! I refuse to weigh myself anymore since it can be discouraging to me, and my mirror is enough to tell me that I'm not anywhere near my goal weight yet. :P On YouTube this morning I watched Dr. Eric Berg talking about non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and how the liver can repair damage to itself even if it's 100% damaged, but it takes time, even up to 3 yrs. Well, that's fine by me! I'm on this WOE for the duration. It may not be for everybody, but it sure is doing fine by me!

"Everything is stable and improving..." MUSIC TO MY EARS!! When DS loses 75 lbs. in less than a year while I plug along so slowly, it's hard to "keep the faith" and TRUST THIS WOE. In fact, I have a T-shirt that says, "Keep calm and keto on"! My weight loss is so slow (I believe) because I had so much to repair internally FIRST before any weight loss could occur. I've had this gut on me for so many DECADES, and my gut testifies to the fact that I have Insulin Resistance and have had for many, many years...I just didn't know what to do about it. Well, I do now! I just need patience...lots and lots of patience! Yesterday I made a dandy Cream of Asparagus soup (my favorite and now DS is taking a small pot of it to work with him) and today plan to make some delicious almond flour muffins (we are OUT!) for the freezer. I haven't been to the store yet, but I haven't been to sleep either. (A quiet YAY!) :mrgreen: I understand that spinach and collard greens are exceptionally good for the liver, so I'm getting some today. YUM! Collards and a fatty ham hock or two in my Instant Pot. OH LORDY!! Good eats! And I could eat spinach sautéd in butter and spiced just right every day! What is not to LOVE LOVE LOVE about eating this way and then getting such positive results from my doctor?

I believe I will get my gardening hat and gloves on and PLANT MY CARROTS and tidy up the view from my WOW today (weedeat), then go to the store. The temp. is in the 70s and the sky is a lovely cobalt blue without a cloud in it. It's time to get out there! But I just had to share with you this major NSV (Non Scale Victory)! I'm winning! :mrgreen:

Honeybera
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Celebrating with you Honeybera. May your carrots be soon available for kitchen and you get all you need from the store ASAP
dancingfish

Post by dancingfish »

That's excellent news, honeybera! Well done you! :D

While you may be thinking you're still finding some things difficult, not sure you see just how very much you're achieving every single day. Reconnecting with R, better relationship with son, dealing with past, looking after yourself (your WOE!) in so many ways. Congratulations, it can feel like slow progress but you're putting in so much to get there. :D
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Oh WOW!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥!!!!!

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words!!! dancingfish, you are right! Sometimes it takes another person to point out that which we cannot see for ourselves - "too close to the trees to see the forest" type thing I suppose.

Our new electrician just came. I am so tickled that I got verklempt!
The definition of verklempt is a Yiddish word that describes a person who is too emotional to speak. An example of verklempt is a bride unable to give a speech at her wedding reception because she's overcome by love and joy.
HE PUT UP MY NEW DYSON CORDLESS VACUUM IN MY CLOSET SO THAT IT CHARGES ITSELF WHEN I PUT IT AWAY AND WITH A NEW DIMMER SWITCH!!!!! I am SO HAPPY!!!!! He also installed a RING doorbell (which I bought months ago) on my front porch which signals me if anyone is on my porch on my iPhone and calls the police if I push a button!!! WOW! My room is in the far back of the house and DS often works nights, but this allows me to "peek" at my front porch and even HEAR what's going on there - AND to speak with whomever is there without leaving the safety of my bedroom. It even rings a little "chime" on my iPhone to let me know that someone is there whether they ring the bell or not. AMAZING!! Now I can know that a package has arrived, can even have a conversation with the people/person on my porch without opening the door, and without running from the back of the house to the front (a LONG way!) - oh, it's just a miracle for me! And when my son is at work, it will "chime" on his phone, too, and he'll be able to see them as well. What peace of mind this gives me!! :mrgreen:

OH, and he fixed the entire kitchen outlets just like that! AND THE ENTIRE THING ONLY COST ME $265.00 (so far since he's not finished yet, but there was SO MUCH to do)! He'll be back to fix the myriad of outlets and plugs and ceiling lights that have been out for a decade or so. This guy is a jewel and we are SO lucky to have found him! (Recommended by our a/c guy)

YESTERDAY I GOT STARTED ON THE GARAGE!!!!!!!! (Don't faint!) I must admit, it is abysmal out there! Downright creepy!! Those spiders and creepy-crawly things have had YEARS to live there and don't like being disturbed...OR evicted! My poor DS has a hernia right now and cannot help me in the slightest. But I used to be a furniture and office mover, so I am choosing to see this as a blessing, a way to get FREE exercise built into my keto program! I have to keep my eyes on the prize as I remove this junk full of all sorts of creepy things. I may just bug bomb it soon, but I have to shut off my hot water heater if I do and have a utility employee come out and relight the pilot light which is a pain, but at least the cooties will be gone (for a while). There is broken glass (old Xmas bulbs etc) and dust and dirt and so on on the floor, but I'm almost to the shop vac which should really help me. I need to make trip after trip to the recyclers (who also take electronics junk) and to the donation place. I know the way. I CAN DO IT!

But I'm also recognizing the need (and appreciating it), NOT FOR SPEED (quite the opposite), but for tenacity and stick-to-it-iveness. This job is HUGE for me, especially alone, to do. Not even having my DS to help me is awful, but what else can I do? The electrician AND the garage door guy both need access to the garage to fix what needs fixing. DS can't help me RIGHT NOW as he usually does, so it's up to me. I need to "break my complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks and then start on the first one" (Mark Twain), which is precisely what I did yesterday. But there is plenty more to do out there! I already have a pickup truck FULL of recyclables and donations PLUS another load of donations in my front room. I have to vote today still, and will get moving on that right now, but I HAD TO TELL YOU about the electrician's wonders that he's installed so far!

Tomorrow I see my new T for the first time. I hope my streak of positivity continues!! :mrgreen: It's been WONDERFUL so far today! I hope the election comes out great for this country. So much going on!

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

The one thing that all my keto sites and videos and books ETC recommend vehemently is to HAVE SUPPORT while doing this WOE. Although I have tried and tried to find that support, all attempts have failed. (Hey, the WOE is very new [since only 2015 or 16] and not everyone understands exactly what my DS and I have discovered...yet.) But as I was perusing a post by Dr. Jason Fung (MY HERO!), the guru of Intermittent Fasting and one of the co-founders of Intensive Dietary Management idmprogram dot com, regarding a fellow who lost 200 lbs. PLUS LOST ALL OF HIS "FLAPS" (those awful sagging skin flaps that people get after extreme weight loss) THAT HE LOST WITHOUT SURGERY by following intermittent fasting (which causes autophagy, the discovery of which won the Nobel prize in 2016), I was given an answer as to how to "get" this needed support. In this article, this fellow mentioned that he had gone onto a Facebook page by...DR. JASON FUNG! OK, OK, got my attention now!

So I signed up! Hang in there with me. I need you, too. But I need this Facebook group as well. You and I have all survived unthinkable things, and isurvive.org is indeed a warm and a healing place. ♥♥Friends like you♥♥ are so important to me!!! But this is right up my alley, too, and they will "get" what I'm going through on my WOE and the terminology will not be foreign to them. Plus I may find a new recipe or two. I need that encouragement, too. I really hope that this works out for me. This WOE is saving my life! And I need all the help I can get, but that includes YOU, too, ♥my faithful friends♥! So many ways to heal up from the abuse.

I need to go vote now. :? It's getting late and I do NOT want to miss this election!!

Honeybera
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Hello Honeybera

I trust that you son soon heals from the hernia

You are managing everything beautifully. Am very happy you found a Facebook page for support

Much caring