Have come a long way!

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

djunamod

Have come a long way!

Post by djunamod »

Hi Everyone,
I'm coming back to these forums after an absence but I wanted to post something positive in light of some more challenging things I've experienced this week. In 2011 I reconnected with my twin sister, who went no contact with the family in 2001. She was the one who first put a name to what we experienced as children (emotional abuse, financial abuse, gaslighting). Since then, I have been on a journey to recognizing and healing from what happened to me as a child, to understand why it happened and how I can rise above it as an adult.

While I still have a ways to go, I feel like I've come so far. I can now deal with limited contact with my abusers and not be destroyed emotionally by it (even if I have some setbacks, I bounce right back). I can set boundaries that work for me and I can stick by them even in the face of all he buttons my abusers will push (and they know all of them!) I am more honest not only with myself but also with others. I am less afraid to tell others how I feel and when something is bothering me (in a non-confrontational way). I take care of myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I journal every day and I use my gift of creativity to give to others. I've been writing since I was a teenager and I truly think it has saved me from completely losing my grip on reality. The fact that I could go into another place in my fiction in a healthy way with my stories saved me from following my parents' path into mental illness and living in my own reality which has nothing to do with the real world.

I hope to continue this journey and to help others who are on that journey too!

Djuna
Ashia
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Have come a long way!

Post by Ashia »

Hi djunamod

It is great to hear about all the positives going on for you. Good job on all the hard work and effort you have clearly put into your healing journey so far. Like any journey, there can be ups and downs, so I hope you can look back on these words when you need a little encouragement.

With caring
Ashia
there

Post by there »

Djunamod,
Thanks for your update. Glad that you are doing well and are strong.
I'm inspired by you!
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
Deedleberry

Post by Deedleberry »

Hi djunamod,

I can relate to you so much! My parents are Narcissists. I can see that limiting contact was your first step in recovery, and you gave yourself the care you needed. I think creativity is a great outlet. So far I only write stories for myself, the stories are me and I learn about myself, and it's so enjoyable.
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content
johnram

Post by johnram »

Hi djunamod,

i am really proud of you, and likely because i relate

i have had to learn a lot of those skills you list because i also wasnt taught or given the space as a youngster

well done for your strength, and i wish you well