Things your inner child currently likes

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

ChipmunksRunFree

Things your inner child currently likes

Post by ChipmunksRunFree »

Currently she likes jigsaw puzzles. She was never into them before. But she saw three boxes for 0.99 cents each at Salvation Army, two about kitty cats and one of a heartwarming painting by Marjolein Bastin (her work is good for the inner kid, in general!), and grabbed them immediately. she likes the sound the puzzle pieces make within boxes when they're shaken. hopefully she'll actually attempt to put the puzzles together..... she saw more cute jigsaw puzzle boxes at a dollar store, called Puzzle Bug. UH OH
"A chipmunk for you..."
*plucks out the most beautiful flower and gives it to you - a baby chipmunk curled up and sleeping within its petals!...*
CrackedOpal

Re: Things your inner child currently likes

Post by CrackedOpal »

Oh jeez, where to start! Currently it’s cute stickers and anything to do with The Little Mermaid. Also colorful pens, like those rainbow pastel gel pens that were really popular in the early 00’s. :D
I want to be as good of a person as my dog thinks I am.
there

Post by there »

My inner child likes when I read her children's books.
loves anything Peanuts, Snoopy, Charlie Brown.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

I've heard that no questions are stupid as long as they're honest. So, suspecting that this might come across as a stupid question, I hope that you won't judge me too harsh. What does inner child mean? I'm childish, but that's just my personality, is that what inner child means? Or is it something else? I'm curious.
CrackedOpal

Post by CrackedOpal »

For me, as someone diagnosed with DID, I answered this question with what my 5 year old part likes. For someone without a dissociative disorder, I’m not sure how to answer what an inner child is because I don’t really have a concept of NOT having an actual separate part.
I want to be as good of a person as my dog thinks I am.
iwillthrive

Post by iwillthrive »

I don't know the difference either bc I have DID as well. So some of my littles like snoopy, Star Wars, seashells, playing in water and having someone read to them.
there

Post by there »

Bonnie,
Not at all a stupid question. Inner child, hmmm.
I don't have DID, and I do some Inner Child work.
I was a child and grew up through different experiences, and stages.
I can identify different events through memories. Trauma memories are often strong in me.
Other memories are of things that were fun or something I liked doing.
I liked making mudpies when I was 5. I climbed trees in the woods when I was maybe 7,8,9.
While I probably won't be making mudpies or climbing trees right now, I can find an activity to do that the child I was liked, or would like.
I liked being read bedtime stories by my dad. I have a story book about a boy who becomes a harbor seal in Maine for a day. Got it at a gift shop a while ago in - where else- Maine.
The other night, I lay in bed just reading it out loud as if to the child I was.
It doesn't have to be as if to your IC, either. It could just be doing something you think a younger you as a child would have liked.
Riding a bike, coloring books, picking up pretty leaves that catch your eye- these are some suggestions.
Hope this helps!
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

The little girl in me likes to drink hot chocolate on a cold, winter day!

Sheep :)
Ho'omana

Post by Ho'omana »

cuddling my teddy bear
Last edited by Serenity on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
wolfspirit

Post by wolfspirit »

Bonnie,
I think it's a great question.
I had no idea there was an inner child until last year when the flashbacks of my childhood trauma started.
I learned that my inner child is the part of my self that experienced life between birth and young adulthood. The time when I was forming my understanding of the world and a self identity.
At least that's what I think I learned. lol

I like this post, ChipmunksRunFree!
My inner child likes to watch the animals outside my window and try to pretend like she is one.
She likes to read or listen to someone read children's books, too, just like there and iwt. :)

What does your inner child like, Bonnie?

~wolfspirit
Last edited by Jonesy on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
Wounds are where the light enters you.
Rumi