Feel good films

Games and fun things to talk about.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Fleur

Feel good films

Post by Fleur »

This is inspired by Bonnie - a place to share books. Here is a space to share films, DVDs...

Some films I have enjoyed watching more than once include:

My Fair Lady - sheer pleasure songs and Eliza's transformation, plus humour

The Great Race - arguably the best pie fight, along with amazing villainy

Herbie series - okay, so cars don't really have personalities ... Or do they?!

The Gods Must Be Crazy - both a serious and humorous film, bittersweet

Most films featuring Danny Kaye for old-fashioned good clean mischief, mayhem or comic effect

Almost any animal film

Over to you ....
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
1000miles

Re: Feel good films

Post by 1000miles »

Melody (1971, English film, hard to find on DVD), because I was in love at twelve.

Everything ever made by Hayao Miyazaki. The height of hand-drawn animation art. Simply stunning.

The recent remake of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

Disney's Finding Dori: A story about Dori's triumph over her own personal challenges through revisiting childhood memories. My son recommended it. I was skeptical, but I had to admit I loved it.

The Boy Who Could Fly. About an autistic boy, the girl next door who befriends and helps him, the love that develops between them, and their struggles to keep him from being committed to a mental institution against his will.

August Rush. Beautiful story of an orphan music prodigy's search for his birth parents, and their search for him. Screenplay by Nick Castle, who also wrote and directed The Boy Who Could Fly.

A Walk To Remember. About the power of true love to transform a whole community, and also about grief and loss.

The Neverending Story. On the reality side, a boy grieves the loss of his mother. On the fantasy side, a boy goes on an adventure to save a world. Because the protagonists are boys my child self relates to, and the boy actor who plays the fantasy protagonist is so beautiful, and the character is so open and innocent.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Screenplay by Roald Dahl! A fantasy story that begins as silly takes a surprisingly deep, moving, and even dark turn. Songs by the Sherman Brothers are brilliant, like everything they wrote.

Snoopy, Come Home. Early 1970s feature-length animated film with the Peanuts characters, written by Charles Schultz. Also has songs by the Sherman Brothers. A beautiful ballad called "Do You Remember Me?" sung by Shelby Flint, probably my all-time favorite singer. Again, surprising depth of emotion and themes for this kind of film.

Matilda. Roald Dahl's famous book made into a film by Danny DeVito, who stars along with Rhea Perlman, his real-life wife. They play a couple in the film. The inimitable Mara Wilson plays the title character. Story of a little girl with telekinetic powers and how she uses them to defeat an evil schoolmistress (played brilliantly by Pam Ferris) and triumph over her abusive parents.

Meet Me In St. Louis. Great Christmas film starring Judy Garland and directed by her husband Vincente Minnelli. Most beautiful and heartrending rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" ever. The song was written for this film. Costars Margaret O'Brien, the child star, who performs brilliantly.

A Muppet Christmas Carol. Another surprising one. But you have to watch the full-screen "pan & scan" version (which includes a "deleted scene"), because a crucial scene was cut from the widescreen theatrical release version, and that cut pretty much ruins the film. A great score of songs by Paul Williams. Michael Caine plays scrooge. Very true to Dickens' original story, and emotionally strong throughout. The inevitable Muppet silliness never detracts from the seriousness and depth of the story. For my son and me both, this is our favorite film rendition of this story, but we both think it's awful without the cut scene restored.

1000miles
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

I love movies, and I’m glad to hear that I inspired this thread :)

The feel good movies that I can think of right now (at least movies that makes me feel good) are the following:

Forrest Gump – I just love Forrest Gump <3

Stand by me – So simple, just 4 friends looking for a dead child their age. It’s simply about their short journey to find him. It’s so much more about the characters themselves and not so much about the story.

The Shining! - yeah I know it’s not supposed to be a feel good movie, but it’s been one of my favorite movies for a long time and I have many good memories of watching it with friends and family.
Two Worlds

Post by Two Worlds »

I love My Fair Lady! And I like Danny Kaye if it's who I'm thinking of.

I really love the movie Uptown Girls. Dakota Fanning, and I think the ladies name was Brittany Murphy.
ChipmunksRunFree

Post by ChipmunksRunFree »

Milo and Otis - everlasting friendship between a cat and a dog, through thick and thin
"A chipmunk for you..."
*plucks out the most beautiful flower and gives it to you - a baby chipmunk curled up and sleeping within its petals!...*
solana

Post by solana »

[i wrote:Milo and Otis[/i]
I love Milo and Otis!

Frozen
Leap/Ballerina
Big Hero 6 (I need a Baymax in my life)
You are stronger than you know.
there

Post by there »

A Beautiful Mind

both versions of Ghostbusters

Won't You Be My Neighbor --recent documentary about Mr. Rogers

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxies
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
ChipmunksRunFree

Post by ChipmunksRunFree »

"Comfort food" films:

Sense and Sensibility (1995 version),
You've Got Mail,
One Fine Day,
Greencard,
Il Postino,
That Thing You Do,
The Secret Life of Arrietty,
Chocolat,
Clueless,
"A chipmunk for you..."
*plucks out the most beautiful flower and gives it to you - a baby chipmunk curled up and sleeping within its petals!...*
there

Post by there »

CRF,
hey! great seeing your name here!

Breakfast at Tiffany's

The Little Rascals
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
Redisfinallyfree

Post by Redisfinallyfree »

I know this is an old thread but I like it so I’m adding to it.

The Princess Bride. (One of the most quoted movies ever, according to my hubby)

Finding Forrester.

The latest Pete’s Dragon.

The Greatest Showman. Fab soundtrack too!

Homeward Bound.

Charlotte’s Web. (With Julia Roberts as Charlotte)

Babe.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. (Netflix)