Starting Counselling

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

FalconHoof

Starting Counselling

Post by FalconHoof »

This has all happened rather quick , I have suppressed issues for 30 years , Finally deciding to tackle my past I contacted a charity based counselling organisation . on Friday I phoned them, on Monday I had a brief assessment and I begin my counselling on tomorrow. I don't know what to expect and am terrified of what I may have to face. Can anyone give me some reassurance of how first session may go ?
there

Re: Starting Counselling

Post by there »

FalconHoof,
Counselor might do more intake, more questions you answer for forms.
Might ask you what you hope to achieve, or what goals you may have for counseling.
My 2¢ worth-- in the 1st sessions, you, the client, may want to assess the counselor. Do you feel respected? Does counselor listen and respond well? This goes for the duration of treatment, too.
I hope it goes/went well, FH.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
FalconHoof

Post by FalconHoof »

Thanks you, yo pretty much hit the nail on head no forms though, She told me her approach , asked what I wanted to archive e.t.c I liked her ,she made some sharp remarks which made me think. I also really appreciated that she made it clear she wasn't going to take me anywhere I wasn't comfortable , and she didn't need me to recount uncomfortable details in order to be able to help.
she has set up 14 sessions initially ( its a charity and the sessions are very heavily subsidized )
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harmony »

Dear FalconHoof,

Congratulations on the brave step forward. Sending you lots of courage and bravery to get your self free from the past and grow. Here's to a life not tethered to the past. Living well is not to be missed.

with care,
Harmony
Wundergirl

Post by Wundergirl »

Falconhoof, I start some counseling tomorrow. I appreciated reading your post and the replies...they were all very helpful.

There, it didn't occur to me to also look at it from the perspective of assessing the counselor. I know it needs to be a good fit - since the whole thing may be uncomfortable I'm not sure if I'll know if it is a good fit or just my being out of my comfort zone (which is quiet).

I question who my sister is seeing, based on what she has told me there are some red flags.

Anyway, thank you again and good luck in your process...
there

Post by there »

FH,
It's just a general thing to consider how the T is treating you during the process. It's not that I think you should figure this all out from the start. Just wanted to clarify.
Good luck to you as well!

Edited to change to NT.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.