What was the last book you read?

Games and fun things to talk about.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Bonnie

What was the last book you read?

Post by Bonnie »

I love books (if they’re good of course :P) They take me to another place when I’m tired of being here. They sometimes give me new perspectives. Sometimes I learn something from them. And sometimes I just connect with them in a way I can’t explain.

The last novel I read was A Clockwork Orange. Are there any other book nerds here? And what was the last book you read?

Feel free to share your favorite book if you have one. I would if only I could choose one :P
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What was the last book you read?

Post by Harmony »

Weird I know but I really enjoyed seeing severe mental illness from the compassionate perspective of a psychiatrist.

Sometimes Amazing Things Happen: Heartbreak and Hope on the Bellevue Hospital Psychiatric Prison Ward
by Elizabeth Ford MD.

If these broken souls can heal then most of us are in good shape. It may trigger some so know that in advance. No mention of SA. There is mention of child by neglect and EA. I found it interesting and compassionate.
FalconHoof

Post by FalconHoof »

The last book I read was " The Mirror world of Melody Black" It's a very addictive book and I finished it in 3 sittings , It deals with Mental illness with humor and humility . I often find that Bipolar is often really badly depicted in fiction(I'm looking at you 'Homeland') , But the protagonist in the book is one of the strongest I can recall. I was eager to read this one because I had enjoyed the authors debut novel " the universe versus Alex Woods" both are fantastic and I recommend both.

All time favorite- Infinite Jest- David Foster Wallace. The most challenging and rewarding book I have ever read , The true voice of Gen-X
Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

I'm in middle of reading "Stupid History" by American based Leland Gregory. The subtitle sums up content beautifully: Tales of stupidity, strangeness and mythconceptions throughout the Ages.

I like the one page stories - some are merely a couple of sentences. Perfect for when I seek just a few minutes of being taken out of present.
Xanthia
ajei

Post by ajei »

''Tuesdays with Morrie'' by Mitch Albom...about the rekindled relationship the writer has with his mentor...reminded me of the relationship I had with my old t before she died. Uplifting and sad all at the same time.

ajei
there

Post by there »

"Rashi's Daughters"--- a trilogy historical novel about the ,actual 3 daughters of a famous French Jewish scholar. I have finished "Joheved". Not sure it's all fact, but in the story, Rashi teaches Talmud to all yes daughters. This is unusual, to say their least.
Well-researched with many details of life and beliefs in Jewish community in medieval France.
1000miles

Post by 1000miles »

Recently read:

Phantastes by George MacDonald (A real "fairy story" from the 19th Century)
Walden by Hendry David Thoreau (A memoir of sorts)
Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut (A rather dark novel about a dystopian future)

Currently Reading: The 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith (The Disney film was based on it)

I enjoy children's books by Alexander Key. These tend to be fantasy books about children with special powers trying to evade capture by evil adults who want to exploit them. (For example, Key wrote "Escape to Witch Mountain," which was adapted to become the Disney film.) I suppose I've always liked the idea of empowered children triumphing over adults who endanger them.

1000miles
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Wonder Cats, true stories of extraordinary felines - Ashley Morgan

Some tales are poignant, some sad, a few funny, others are inspirational, and several thought provoking (how DID the animals survive?) Whilst including animals from international as well as historical sources, many stories are from UK Cat Society Award annuls
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
Wundergirl

Post by Wundergirl »

Thanks for the thought-provoking thread. I love books, and have been kind of stagnant on trying to find something new. I noted some I'll check on at my library tonight for some reading this weekend (I hope).

My last book was The Poisonwood Bible, but I've read it so many times. Each time I read it I come away with new perspectives. This book has made me cry but also laugh out loud. I like how it explores the relationships between the daughters and their mother and weird father...and the villagers...it's intriguing that the story is told from such wide ranges of age groups.

Anyway, thanks again! I know this has been out there a while but I appreciate it!
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

I'm glad you appreciate that I started the treat Wundergirl :) I'm happy to see that others here share my interest in books and it's interesting to read about what kind of books you all like to read. Feel free to update and share the latest book you read and your thoughts about it. Or any other book you want to talk about.