Survivor's Bill of Rights

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

SparklingDawn

Re: Survivor's Bill of Rights

Post by SparklingDawn »

Thanks for posting this,
D
Last edited by SparklingDawn on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CM

Post by CM »

thank you - but is it bad that i cant get past number 1?

CM
darkshadow

Post by darkshadow »

How do you get yourself to believe these?
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi CM and darkshadow

It is comforting to know that we have these rights and I think believing is something which comes with acceptance. I don't imagine there is a specific order to this list either.
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Yochana

Post by Yochana »

This is great! :)

Darkshadow, I know I'm a brand new member and you don't know me yet but I have a thought in answer to your question that you can take or leave, but might be helpful...

I think one of the hardest things to do as a survivor is rewire our brains to undo all the screwed up thinking that was drummed into us during our abuse, but it's also one of the most important. My understanding is that feelings are not always a good or accurate representations of the truth... So even if we feel that something is true (for example, believing I am unloveable) doesn't mean it actually is true. If we understand this then we can change those beliefs by choosing to believe something else is true even though everything in us feels that the truth can't possibly be true for us. It's hard to do and requires some determination, but if we make a conscious choice to believe something different and keep making that choice, eventually our feelings will line up with the truth. It can take a long time and can seem impossibly hard sometimes, but it is possible... And it is worth it.

Hopefully that made some sense!

Yochana
darkshadow

Post by darkshadow »

Thank you yochana. Pleased to meet you. Yes your words made sense and yes it's hard to undo a lifetime of lies, especially when there still being given.
Yochana

Post by Yochana »

Pleased to meet you too.

I'm sorry to hear you're still being told those lies... It makes it much harder to counteract for sure :(
darkshadow

Post by darkshadow »

Definitely
Space-Ghost

Post by Space-Ghost »

I love 11 and 18.
"I'll hit 'em with my Funk Waves, that should stop 'em! Spaaaaace Ghoooooost!
birdygirl

Post by birdygirl »

Thanks for sharing Gizmo.((( pug hugs for all)))