Advice please

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

facingmytruth

Advice please

Post by facingmytruth »

I am looking for advice/opinions
I recently had someone come forward and validate the abuse I suffered as a child. This is the first person that has ever confirmed the abuse. I don't remember the insident that she is speaking of however she can provide a very detailed report. The person is willing to speak to the police and tell them what she saw. My question is do I take this to the police. The initial report was filed 30 years ago, at that time I was removed from my fathers house and placed into care. My father wasn't charged with anything due to lack of evidence. So my question is do I go to the police if only to have it on record, would the police even do anything after all this time
Squiggy

Re: Advice please

Post by Squiggy »

Hi FMT. I would check first to see what the statute of limitations was for whatever your father did, at the time he did it. If it's past, it's unlikely the cops can do anything to him.
Getting it on the record might not hurt anything, but it probably can't help much either - unless, that is, he is bothering you today, or if you have good reason to suspect he might be currently abusing someone else. I'll have to defer to someone who has more experience with this kind of thing to tell you whether or not it's a good idea.
In the meantime, talk it over with your friend and ask her to write down the story so that you have it. Having validation from a friend might give you some closure, at least. You can always decide to go to the cops later.
Ashia
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ashia »

Hi facingmytruth

Depending on where you are in the world, the statute of limitations wouldn't be applicable. Some countries don't have the concept at all in their laws. As more abuse is being reported in the media, the more various countries are investigating and prosecuting cases of childhood abuse. It is possible that the police would investigate but perhaps it would be worth seeking some legal advice?

Whatever you decide to do, please know you have support here.
Ashia
Harbor

Post by Harbor »

Hi facingmytruth

Many years ago, my partner went to the police to file a report against a stepfather (now living far away) for abuse 30 years prior. The officer was a bit confused and somewhat discouraging, but he did appear to take the report and provide a case number. Nothing happened as a result. On one hand it was pretty disheartening at the time, but on the other it was perhaps a little validating to do something "official" in hindsight. Times have changed, and perhaps you might find an officer who is a bit more encouraging, but perhaps not. It's up to you to decide if the possibility of a symbolic victory outweighs the potential of not having your report received in a helpful manner.
"'Safe Harbor' is a state of mind... it's the place - in reality or metaphor - to which one goes in times of trouble or worry. It can be a friendship, marriage, church, garden, beach, poem, prayer, or song." -Luanne Rice
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi facingmytruth

I made an enquiry in an attempt to provide you with some information. I hope this is helpful.

http://isurvive.org/reporting-guide-uk/
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
facingmytruth

Post by facingmytruth »

Thank u