Have you met any other survivors only by chance?

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Squiggy

Have you met any other survivors only by chance?

Post by Squiggy »

A friend I met last year turned out to be a fellow survivor - going by her story, one who had it worse than I did. It made me wonder, while I'm sure that survivors meeting at support groups can't be too unusual, how common is to meet another one purely by chance? Has anyone here had a similar experience?
Nature

Re: Have you met any other survivors only by chance?

Post by Nature »

I've found it incredibly sad how often it has happened. I've never been to group, but have many friends (men and women) who were abused in one way or another. Maybe it's the circles I run in, but I'm almost amazed when I meet someone who has not been abused or assaulted in some way.
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harmony »

Yes squiggy,

Imagine my surprise when I discovered my pilates teacher. I was sent by my surgeon years ago for recovery after abdominal surgery. Turns out she was also an expert in body issues for abuse survivors. It was right on her sign out front! My doctor had no idea as he had only used her for pilates. It was pure "coincidence". This lovely teacher helped me find my T. The very T who finally guided me through healing. He was also the one who helped her too.

Sometimes the universe is helping us if we are still enough to listen. I will be forever grateful for this random meeting. Oh and it took me awhile to tell her "me too".

Harmony
Squiggy

Post by Squiggy »

Interesting. If it's surprisingly common for you guys, I wonder how many we've all met unknowingly?
there

Post by there »

Given the high incidence of abuse in the world, I’m not surprised to meet any other survivors. Maybe because many survivors don’t open up about it for whatever reason, it seems less prevalent than it really is.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
Closeyclo

Post by Closeyclo »

Met someone in uni who was older than me, I disclosed to her and she disclosed to me back. 4 years on and we've become sort of non officially adopted sister's. We became each other's family out of a need to have a family that loved us in the right ways. And I adore her. Honestly would not have been where I am without her, and strangely our stories were uncannily similar in a lot of places.
A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.