Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Magpie

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Post by Magpie »

Hello all,

Just a general query about OCD. I have OCD and have done for years, I can’t remember exactly when it started, I think it was when I were a teenager and I had more responsibility like my own house keys, cash card, etc.

I have been reading up on a possible link to OCD from survivors of CSA and I think I agree with the fact that it’s after affects could possibly contribute to intrusive thoughts and in my case-the need to check things. I check everything, and it’s getting worse, it’s exhausting to be honest. I know it’s all to do with coping mechanisms, just wish I could stop.

I’m just wondering if, as with the abuse I experienced I was tricked into touching my abuser in intimate places, could this “touch” element be subconscious, and I’m checking things through touch because of this? Do I trust myself, my touch because of what happened? (And what I mean by that is the compulsive need to touch objects and check things are tidy and clean).

If anyone has any experiences with this too, any thoughts would be lovely to read.

Thanks all x
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content
solana

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Post by solana »

hi Magpie,

i also have a bit of OCD. mine typically takes the form of excessive hand-washing and random repetitive behaviours. i have pets, so I've given up on trying to keep the house clean and tidy. but, i am pretty obsessive about keeping my bedding super clean.

i did read that OCD can often stem from childhood experiences. i think it is likely that what you went through plays a part in this.

take gentle care.
You are stronger than you know.
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Many thanks, my OCD seems to have got worse over the years, I am a mum so perhaps the need to protect is greater I guess. Am going to start the new year hopefully looking into positive ways to overcome some of these behaviours. I’ve tried for many years but failed miserably, probably as I’ve never got to the root of the problem. I think it’s more a self esteem issue so maybe I should work on that first.

Best wishes
quixote

Post by quixote »

Magpie,
I haven't heard of a direct connection, but it is possible. Childhood a**** can increase anxiety. Dealing with anxiety, through therapy, is a possible choice of treatment.
quixote